Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Beaver 100

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
You were outbid by $1, but you may have been beat by a much higher maximum bid (assuming a $1 bidding increment).

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago, Michael Jordan and I had a slam dunk contest. I scored a zero. I didn't see his score, but they tell me he won.
He must have beat me by one.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
If you truly lost by One dollar then you're claiming you would've won by bidding Two dollars more & that cannot be said...

Listen, I've been on ebay for nearly 15 years. I know how it works. You mentioned in your other post what makes you "feel" better about thinking about your bids... well, it makes me feel better to say I lost by one dollar.

Still you have no evidence that the guy that bid against me DID bid $55 or $60 or more. When the auction was ending the note said that I needed to bid $51 or more to stay in the game. Sure the guy may have had a high bid of more than $51. But it really doesn't matter because you are arguing a negative. For all you know he only bid $51.

I don't even know why you folks are making such an issue about this, anyway?

The key question here is: did one of the folks on the forum here get the case? I hope one did. Even though it was missing the stand inside the case, the case itself looked to be in great shape. I hope of the the Loungers got it.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Looks like it's in great shape, Lefty. I think fluteplayer was pretty much on the mark -- it looks like mid/late 60's to me in terms of dating.

So -- what are your reactions to this lid? How do like the felt/finish? How does it compare to your 7X CB?

Hope the stretch goes well. ;)

Congrats.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
As to stretching, I'm not even going to try it on again until after the haircut I've got set for the day after Thanksgiving. Right now, even my 7 1/2s feel snug. I was able to get the 100 on my head, but it hurt to blink. It's on the stretcher, and that's where it will stay for now.

In terms of the hand of the felt, it's identical to my CB. I had my wife feel the 25, CB, and 100, and she had the same opinion I did - the 25 was obviously different, but the other two were indistinguishable. Stiffness is a different story. While this one isn't as stiff as the only other 100 I've handled (I think that one was petrified) pushing the cattleman's crease out caused a few loud pops, whereas the CB is like clay.

The sweat on the 100 is good, certainly as good as any other vintage hat, but isn't nearly as supple as either the older 25 or the CB, which both have that extra thick, supple sweat.

I'd like to get my hands on a 100 from the 50s, to get a more apples to apples comparison of the CB to the 100. At this point, while the Beaver 100 is a hell of a hat, the CB is my favorite. After the haircut, and as long as I don't have to remove it to blink, I think the 100 will get a fair amount of melon time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko