Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson color advice?

Outsider80

New in Town
I think I finally decided on a Stetson Saxon for my first fur fedora. I am torn between Cordova (Which appears to be a Dark Brown) and the Caribou (Medium Gray).
I'd usually wear it with brown shoes with either tan slacks or dark blue slacks/jeans. I'd really like to try the Caribou but I don't know if it'll match with those colors.

I'm a new member here and have really enjoyed reading through the forums. Thanks in advance !

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I think I finally decided on a Stetson Saxon for my first fur fedora. I am torn between Cordova (Which appears to be a Dark Brown) and the Caribou (Medium Gray).
I'd usually wear it with brown shoes with either tan slacks or dark blue slacks/jeans. I'd really like to try the Caribou but I don't know if it'll match with those colors.

I'm a new member here and have really enjoyed reading through the forums. Thanks in advance !
I have problems with greys and browns.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I have problems with greys and browns.
I love grey with brown ... to my eye the only things that don't always work are certain tones of the same color put together ... other than that I say fair game

3a2799dcc6a7027d727c3d4613441c1d--fashion-models-fashion-men.jpg

pitti-uomo-gangster-grey-suit-brown-tie-menswear-streetstyle.jpg

I have a Stetsonian in the Cariboo, it is a great colour. I changed out the black bow for a silver/grey one. It is a neutral colour and to my jaundiced eye would go better with brown toned clothing than the Cordova would with blue grey clothing.

I have two modern Stetsons in caribou. If mine are representative, they are not medium gray. While other caribous on this site do appear that way to me when pictured, both of mine have a more bluish-gray tint. Even violet.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

I think that caribou is the more versatile color. I have more brown hats than any other color, but I'm finding the lighter colors such as gray, tan, sand, and Silverbelly get more use. I still love my brown hats, but personally I find the greys go with more outfits.
I would categorize my caribou as being a darker shade of grey. I lightened it up by switching the ribbon to silver instead of the stock black but it is still quite dark.

I get tired of some people here at the always pushing Akubra over Stetson. I own and like several recent manufactured Stetsons. That said, do at least give Akubra a look.

The closest Akubra color to the Stetson caribou is called moonstone.

ed3561758f20bef5130dc199ad7383cc.jpg

c25a15132adb64d64a8a65a1bb9e2219.jpg

Stetson Caribou on the right (on top) and Akubra Moonstone on the left (underneath).

Like the man said, once you're hooked you'll end up owning them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caribou is one of the more versatile colors, in my opinion.
Eventually you'll have hats in every imaginable shade of brown and grey though. It's inevitable.

And don't be afraid of lighter colors either. Silverbelly is a surprisingly versatile color. It will be hard to chose without actually putting them on your head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana