• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Stetson color advice?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Outsider80, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Outsider80

Outsider80 New in Town

I think I finally decided on a Stetson Saxon for my first fur fedora. I am torn between Cordova (Which appears to be a Dark Brown) and the Caribou (Medium Gray).
    I'd usually wear it with brown shoes with either tan slacks or dark blue slacks/jeans. I'd really like to try the Caribou but I don't know if it'll match with those colors.

I'm a new member here and have really enjoyed reading through the forums. Thanks in advance !

KarlCrow likes this.
  2. Rogera

Rogera Call Me a Cab

Get both then you don't have to worry about it

3. I have problems with greys and browns.

Redfokker likes this.
  4. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

I love grey with brown ... to my eye the only things that don't always work are certain tones of the same color put together ... other than that I say fair game

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Redfokker, Bob Roberts, RJR and 2 others like this.
  5. I have a Stetsonian in the Cariboo, it is a great colour. I changed out the black bow for a silver/grey one. It is a neutral colour and to my jaundiced eye would go better with brown toned clothing than the Cordova would with blue grey clothing.

Redfokker likes this.
  6. I have two modern Stetsons in caribou. If mine are representative, they are not medium gray. While other caribous on this site do appear that way to me when pictured, both of mine have a more bluish-gray tint. Even violet.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Redfokker likes this.
  7. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck One Too Many

moontheloon likes this.
  8. You like it you wear it. I have trouble.

moontheloon likes this.
  9. Ok. A few certain shades.

10. I think that caribou is the more versatile color. I have more brown hats than any other color, but I'm finding the lighter colors such as gray, tan, sand, and Silverbelly get more use. I still love my brown hats, but personally I find the greys go with more outfits.

11. Wesslyn

Wesslyn Practically Family

Caribou is one of the more versatile colors, in my opinion.
    Eventually you'll have hats in every imaginable shade of brown and grey though. It's inevitable.

KarlCrow and Redfokker like this.
  12. Resistance is futile, I hear.

KarlCrow, deadlyhandsome and Wesslyn like this.
  13. I would categorize my caribou as being a darker shade of grey. I lightened it up by switching the ribbon to silver instead of the stock black but it is still quite dark.

14. I get tired of some people here at the always pushing Akubra over Stetson. I own and like several recent manufactured Stetsons. That said, do at least give Akubra a look.

The closest Akubra color to the Stetson caribou is called moonstone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stetson Caribou on the right (on top) and Akubra Moonstone on the left (underneath).

Like the man said, once you're hooked you'll end up owning them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wesslyn and Redfokker like this.
  15. +1 They all look good, just some better than others.

deadlyhandsome and Wesslyn like this.
  16. And don't be afraid of lighter colors either. Silverbelly is a surprisingly versatile color. It will be hard to chose without actually putting them on your head.

Wesslyn likes this.
  17. Wesslyn

Wesslyn Practically Family

We ought to have a thread of all the known Stetson colors.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  18. That's for someone with a better camera and more skill than I have ....unless that's an excuse to buy more hats. I'm sure my wife will understand since it is all in the name of the greater good.

Wesslyn likes this.
  19. For contemporary colors, the latest catalog should have most of them.

For historical, well, that's another story. I can't remember the exact number, but for either Playboys or Stratoliners, they alone were available in, like, 40 colors or something.

Bob Roberts, moontheloon and Wesslyn like this.
  20. Like "Cadet Blue." :)

Frunobulax and moontheloon like this.