Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Exposition Medals

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Not mine... but I wish it was!

unu2yhez.jpg

apasu6e8.jpg

ja3ehene.jpg

yhy9ava7.jpg

u9ugu5eg.jpg

8u5eza9e.jpg

e6uqepud.jpg

e2yruna9.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
As you wish:

I knew it had to be you who snagged that one! Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! It needed a brushing in the worst way and now that you did, the felt looks marvelous!! Luckily the moths haven't eaten this one. For some reason they seem to love feasting on Long Hairs. I have never held a Lightweight Long Hair, how much lighter is it really than a Standard Weight?

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It really is a light weight (for a long hair). One would never think looking at it that this felt could be so dense while maintaining a slim waistline ;)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
It really is a light weight (for a long hair). One would never think looking at it that this felt could be so dense while maintaining a slim waistline ;)

If only they could figure out how to make felt like this today. Its remarkable how dense the early stuff is. Its a pleasure to crease, but also to reblock.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
If only they could figure out how to make felt like this today

I don't think knowledge is the big problem. Much knowledge could be regained though old felt workers and hatters, still alive. Several European companies made high quality felts into the 60s and 70s. I think the main problem is the cost of labor. Manufactoring of felts like that was extremely demanding and took days and weeks to complete. As I understand it, Winchester can still produce a felted edge - although it's no longer daily routine - but it's too expensive to revive a production.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wasn't aware any modern manufacturer was making a felted welt edge (Cavanagh Edge).

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't aware any modern manufacturer was making a felted welt edge (Cavanagh Edge).

They are not. One of the employees at Winchester can still make them. A few years ago, Brad talked him into trying, and he made a few half finished - just to demonstrate the technique. The owner didn't see any perspectives in taking up a production, though. The process is very complex and special tools/machines are also involved, so in a decade or two it will be very hard to revive the technique, if anyone should wish for that.

I have read, that the hatter Gary White has sourced some old Borsalino bodies with felted edge. He is to my knowledge the only one still making hats with felted edge - but only as long as the stock lasts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points