Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson late '50s or early '60s employee retirement presentation piece with very weird attributes

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, I was using him. Here ya go.

y7Z0L.jpg
:)

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Well, I am a happier man.

After much time wondering and searching, I have finally identified the recipient of my odd Stetson One-Hundred retirement presentation hat.

Richard Stewart began his employment with Stetson in 1903. He retired from the company around 55 to 60 years later based upon the apparent vintage of this hat.

Based on his position with Stetson, it is my opinion that all parts of the hat and the narrower bound "Mode Edge" brim are original. One of the people who I originally consulted, suggested the theory that the hat's oddities are the result of a gag played on Mr. Stewart by his comrades. I think that he was probably correct.

As of the 1940 U.S. census, Stewart was a "Hat Inspector" at Stetson. It makes perfect sense that at his retirement (especially if he remained in a quality control role), his co-workers would give him a good-natured ribbing by presenting him a hat with a curious hodgepodge of design elements. It's the type of thing that someone in Mr. Stewart's position would never allow to leave the factory.

Mr. Stewart was born on March 7, 1886 in Philadelphia. He started his employment with Stetson in 1903. In the 1910 U.S. census, he lists his occupation as a hatter working for a hat manufacturer. The 1920 and 1930 censuses also provide that occupation.

In April 1928, Mr. Stewart celebrated 25 years with Stetson with "The Hat Box" noting his admission in the company's Quarter Century Club (Thanks @carouselvic for gracing the Lounge with your copies of The Hat Box). At that time, Mr. Stewart was in the Finishing Department.

By the 1940 census, his occupation had changed to "hat inspector". On April 27, 1942, his draft registration names the John B. Stetson Co. as his employer.

Sadly, it does not look like Mr. Stewart lived very long after his retirement. He died on July 22, 1964 and was interred in Arlington Cemetery in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania. He was predeceased by his wife Mary and daughter Naomi. His daughter Ethel and son George survived him. I could locate no obituary.

I attach a bunch of the source material.

Finally, a few of you guys were on the right track with the census info you provided me back in December 2016. Thank you very much for that. Unfortunately, until recently I did not have the research resources available to continue my quest.

Just great, superneat hat stuff!

Happy Weekend!!!
f4af56a3ba1a2c90ad1fc0866b6c7b18.jpg
32b3197964e2aa0823911cfa4c72379a.jpg
c03670257adde5bb73852f7e6af446de.jpg
3693f840779875054b244dc577711554.jpg
350afe68fe4f57d4c3e8d420166221b0.jpg

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

After much time wondering and searching, I have finally identified the recipient of my odd Stetson One-Hundred retirement presentation hat.

Richard Stewart began his employment with Stetson in 1903. He retired from the company around 55 to 60 years later based upon the apparent vintage of this hat.

Based on his position with Stetson, it is my opinion that all parts of the hat and the narrower bound "Mode Edge" brim are original. One of the people who I originally consulted, suggested the theory that the hat's oddities are the result of a gag played on Mr. Stewart by his comrades. I think that he was probably correct.

As of the 1940 U.S. census, Stewart was a "Hat Inspector" at Stetson. It makes perfect sense that at his retirement (especially if he remained in a quality control role), his co-workers would give him a good-natured ribbing by presenting him a hat with a curious hodgepodge of design elements. It's the type of thing that someone in Mr. Stewart's position would never allow to leave the factory.

Mr. Stewart was born on March 7, 1886 in Philadelphia. He started his employment with Stetson in 1903. In the 1910 U.S. census, he lists his occupation as a hatter working for a hat manufacturer. The 1920 and 1930 censuses also provide that occupation.

In April 1928, Mr. Stewart celebrated 25 years with Stetson with "The Hat Box" noting his admission in the company's Quarter Century Club (Thanks @carouselvic for gracing the Lounge with your copies of The Hat Box). At that time, Mr. Stewart was in the Finishing Department.

By the 1940 census, his occupation had changed to "hat inspector". On April 27, 1942, his draft registration names the John B. Stetson Co. as his employer.

Sadly, it does not look like Mr. Stewart lived very long after his retirement. He died on July 22, 1964 and was interred in Arlington Cemetery in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania. He was predeceased by his wife Mary and daughter Naomi. His daughter Ethel and son George survived him. I could locate no obituary.

Finally, a few of you guys were on the right track with the census info you provided me back in December 2016. Thank you very much for that. Unfortunately, until recently I did not have the research resources available to continue my quest.

Happy Weekend!!!
Cool...Matt...cool. B

Happy Weekend!!!
A man after my own heart. You have exhibited some research chops my friend. I bestow upon you the Mantle of Geekdom. Welcome.

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
They gave the guy a jumbled up and whopper jawed hat after years of faithful service? I hope they at least gave the guy a gold pocket watch in addition to the hat for his retirement.
Ha. Yeah... I guess that might have something to do with why he never wore it.

I wonder what sort of pension Stetson offered it's employees. Fifty + years working for the same company... that's just unimaginable today.

I can't help but wonder just how many hats passed through his hands. Kind of mind-boggling...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points