Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Medalist History?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I recently scored two Stetson Medalists. I casted about a little to see if anyone here can shed light on the vintage of these hats and the origin of that model name. Below is a reply I got back from FeltFan:

Re: Stetson Medalist Info?
I thought about this one...
I think you should start a new thread and
see what you get. Hopefully what you will
get is some old ads clearing this up. But I doubt it.

Obviously vita-felt was not just for that hat
in that year. The real reed is just what they
used in older hats (probably until after WWII).

I suspect, and it's just a hunch, that "medalist"
refers to the various medals the hats won. I have
an old Whippet that has "Gold Medal" stamped into
the sweat. Some of the other older hats, like
old Stetson derbies, have that.

But let's see what the community says.

So, what do you say? Here's shots of one of them inside and out:

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm also curious about the Eagle part. I know that Stetson had a model called the Eagle. The ads for it are pretty common. This hat seems to have two different model names.

As to the felt, most of the vita felt ads that I've seen fall between 42 and 45.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Lefty. I'm not gettin' the 'Medalist' / 'Flagship' connection but those are cool old ads.

The bit about 'Vita-Felt' being '42 - '45 is helpful for sure.

Maybe that places this 'Medalist' in the range.

(?)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The connection was apparently only in my head. I was thinking about the Flagship you posted as I read your post. Things went south from there. I'll edit my post for size.

More appropriately, as to Medalist, I think Felt Fan is right. There are derbies and straw hats that have the Medalist designation, so it's got to be something other than a model name. I have no idea if it has to do with a prize or another confusing quality designation.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I know that Stetson was using the term Air Lite in the 30s (I've got an ad from 1937), and I'm guessing that Vita Felt became the new Air Lite.

1941 is the earliest ad for vita-felt I've ever seen. I've got to say that I love the American Hats by American Workmen at American Wages also made in Canada.lol
stetson-life-09-29-1941-997.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Some trademark dates:

Stetson Medalist
First used June 23, 1938, Filed July 6, 1938

Stetson Eagle
First used March 26, 1942, Filed March 28, 1942

Vita-Felt
First used July 30, 1940, Filed August 8, 1940.

So, your hat dates from 1942 at the earliest.

Eagle appears to be the model and Medalist is the line/quality designation. The Medalist designation was to be used on Felt and straw hats for men and women, silk and opera hats, and caps.

Brad

Gene, it appears that your Medalist has a raw edge. Is that so? Or is there a row of stitching, in a subtle, body-colored thread, like you see on vintage Stetson Playboys?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Brad Bowers said:
So, your hat dates from 1942 at the earliest.

Though I'm inclined to agree with you, we've seen that a trademark can be around for quite a while before anyone bothers to register it.

Also, thanks for the motivation. I'm getting a bit with TESS each time I use it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Lefty said:
I know that Stetson was using the term Air Lite in the 30s (I've got an ad from 1937), and I'm guessing that Vita Felt became the new Air Lite.

I have a early-mid '30s Ait Lite Playboy, and I've owned an early '40s Vita-felt Stratoliner, and I didn't think there were any similarities in the felt. I will say, though, that the vita felt I owned had a pretty distinctive feel to the felt, but it's hard to describe.

With the model name, "Eagle", the red white and blue ribbon, and the knowledge that vita felt came out around 1942, it's a safe bet to say your hat was made either during or just after the war. It doesn't get much more patriotic.

Also interesting to see the deep stamping of "vita felt" on the sweatband. I've seen Stetsons with the same type of stamping reading "mode edge", but not at an angle like that.

As to the name, "Medalist", it wouldn't surprise me if it's just generic, and not referring to any specific medal, moreso that it's just,
"Hey look at our product, we make good hats!"

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Well at least now we'll find out more about that gorgeous hat!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap ...maybe HATCO can dredge up some info on it?...:D

Supporting dinerman's position (that "Medalist" is likelier a grade distinction than a model name) is that the word is on the liner tip, as was Stetson's habit with its other grade designations, such as "Royal" and "Royal Deluxe."

But then, I have a Flagship that is so identified on its liner tip. And I believe we are in agreement that "Flagship" was a model name, and not a grade designation. (Flagships did have at least one stylistic variation, though: I've seen 'em with different ribbon widths. But all the vintage ones I've encountered have those three rows of stitching in the overwelted edge. Pretty distinctive, that.)

So, there goes. I suppose we'd have to see an "Eagle" with something other than "Medalist" on its liner tip, or "Medalist" on a markedly different hat style. And even then we wouldn't necessarily be at the bottom of it. Heck, it certainly isn't that Stetson didn't put grade designations on their sweatbands as well.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
tonyb said:
But then, I have a Flagship that is so identified on its liner tip. And I believe we are in agreement that "Flagship" was a model name, and not a grade designation. (Flagships did have at least one stylistic variation, though: I've seen 'em with different ribbon widths. But all the vintage ones I've encountered have those three rows of stitching in the overwelted edge. Pretty distinctive, that.
My "Flagship" has a pressed underwelt, with no stitching coming through the top of the brim, which looks, at first glance, like a cav. edge.

IMG_4858.jpg

IMG_4863.jpg

IMG_4862.jpg

And this is the different vita-felt stamping in the stratoliner I had.
IMG_4984.jpg

Well, there ya go. Yet another variation. At this point, I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone were to post a picture of one with a ribbon-bound edge.

Pure speculation here, but I gotta suspect that back in the day, when hat factories in Danbury and Philadelphia and other locales were producing hats by the tens of thousands every single workday, occasionally liners and/or sweatbands got used with bodies and/or ribbons they normally didn't. Kept the line moving, you know.

And perhaps retailers with sufficient sway asked the manufacturers for variations on their standard styles.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Though I'm inclined to agree with you, we've seen that a trademark can be around for quite a while before anyone bothers to register it.

Exactly, which is why the date first used in commerce is the critical date. That date will always be as early as the company can legally claim, which may be years earlier than the filing date. This is usually the case for C-K/Cavanagh-Dobbs/Hat Corporation of America filings.

What I found interesting in the Stetson filings is that they filed within weeks, sometimes within days, of the first use in commerce. They were very protective of their trademarks, as witnessed by the Stephen Stetson troubles.

Lefty said:
Also, thanks for the motivation. I'm getting a bit with TESS each time I use it.

The best part is the document retrieval under TARR status, to see the original paperwork.

Brad

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Gene...can you post a link to the thread that has the measurements and also the pics of you wearing it. All the info got kinda spread out....If I ever get around to Art making me a hat...I'll need to know where to look to get a dupe of that Medalist...:eusa_clap :D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Wow, I knew you guys were great hat enthusiasts and very knowledgeable, but you've really made my day with all this feedback on this thread.

On my Flagship; I have one with the three rows of stitching on an overwelt.

On the Eagle Medalist; it's a raw edge (my favorite brim treatment of all). If this hat and the other Medalist I got in grey are prime examples of Vita-Felt, I can tell you it's thin - high density but thin and flexible. The grey one seems to be slightly thicker but that could just be that it has retained more stiffener. This brown one in this thread is almost too soft and floppy. Barely touch the brim edge and it takes on a different swoop.

I'm inclined to think Dinerman is onto something with the war (or post-) war years because of the red, white and blue bow inside. That also jibes with the dates you others are forwarding. Really kind of narrows it to '42 - '45 and that's better dating than can be achieved with a lot of these oldies.

What a time that must have been. I really love having a physical connection to it.

Thanks guys! If there's more, keep it coming, but in general, THANKS!

G

GWD

One Too Many
The Stetson Eagle circa 1950-60 I'm guessing

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

This is a Royal De Luxe Quality hat.

Just a note, I have seen several Stetson Medalist Straw hats on OFAS. I agree that it must be a quality distinction such as the Royal, Royal De Luxe, Sovereign, and Imperial and judging by the looks of that hat it must be a very high quality hat.

I just purchased a "Premier" Stratoliner from Johnnyphi and I'm wondering where that falls into line with the others.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey Thunder', that's wicked good. Absolutely my hat - just in a different color. Thanks for that great ad copy. Wasn't able to find such a sample myself. You guys really came through!

GWD, that's a nice looking lid for sure but obviously by that decade they had changed a lot about the proportions and finishing. A different product altogether, but nice.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Y'know, often I've had the thought, "If these hats could only talk...." and I know you guys have too.

With these obviously war era Stetsons that feeling is even more pronounced.

Some of my favorite old hats are pristine examples of the craft that probably languished in boxes in attics from right after they were purchased until recently, but both of these Eagles were worn - a lot. They were of such good construction that the sweatbands, for instance, have stood the test of time, but the liner in the grey one was real grungy (I cleaned it) and the felt on the top of the brown one is thin at the top pinch likely from countless on and offs on R R's (initials in hat) head.

These hats were made and purchased while the sting of Pearl Harbor was still fairly fresh. Their name and styling details are a salute to patriotism and they were likely chosen and worn for that reason. They probably adorned the head of the owner while listening to many radio reports and reading headlines at newsstands in Baltimore. One of 'em may well have been tossed in the air when the news came over that the Japanese had surrendered and the war was officially over.

These are special to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21