Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Playboy

Dreispitz

One Too Many
besdor said:

And why is that? All the other beauties are all fetching prices beyond the bounderies: OR Stetsons and their equivalents, espetially when being one hundreds, or so :D

Whithout this forum ..... who would know? Would I ever have bid over 300 USD for a Stetson Playboy? I do not think so!

I am glad this forum exists! Hats are back :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
As far as 'fetching' prices go, however, it is still all over the road. Recently a Lounger bought a as-new Stetson Whippet in the very desirable size of 7-5/8 for $40. Then, there's this Playboy which went high but is an absolutely stunning and rare hat to find. A very informed buy.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
HarpPlayerGene said:
As far as 'fetching' prices go, however, it is still all over the road. Recently a Lounger bought a as-new Stetson Whippet in the very desirable size of 7-5/8 for $40.

Yes, but that's because the silly seller prevented a typical bidding war by making his/her auction a "Buy-It-Now" deal -- and at a low price.

If the seller had not done so, the hat would have almost certainly been bid up to $300 +.

'Lucky' eBay sellers offer good photos and descriptions (with easily searchable "buzzwords") for valuable, desirable things ... and start them off at very low opening bid prices. No "Buy-It-Now" option, ever.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Jimmy the Lid's making news again... :D

I pretty much chalk-up any really nice hat that goes over about $325 to JtL. The odds seem to run in my favor. :p

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
And I thought Douglas spent a lot on hats!! 370.00 for a vintage hat is a lot of money but when you compare what a new hat costs today and the quality that it is made of, perhaps 370 isnt a lot after all.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

besdor said:
... 370.00 for a vintage hat is a lot of money but when you compare what a new hat costs today and the quality that it is made of, perhaps 370 isnt a lot after all.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

That's kinda my thinking on it, too, Steven. If a new garden-variety Borsalino is worth, what? something pushing 300 bucks? then $370 for that old Playboy, in that condition, and in that size, is a relative bargain. Not that I would pay that much for it, because I'm confident I could find a lower price on a comparable hat, and because I ain't made of money. And because I already own many, many old hats, including a very nice, very clean Playboy for which I paid less than $100, if memory serves. But if you got the scratch, well, $370 ain't all that much, and at least you'd have something good to show for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana