Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Runabout Packable Fedora - Rolling and rain effects?

bobkeenan

Familiar Face
Bit the bullet and got my first nice fedora. A Stetson Runabout Packable Fedora Hat. I asked about rolling the hat for packing and he said sure but eventually it would look like a rolled hat. I also asked about how the hat did in the rain. He said it was fur felt and would do great..... but would end up looking like a rained on hat. He did not expand on those statements. So what happens to a packable hat and one that gets rained on?

stetson-runabout-brown-0522z_1.jpg

Duper

Practically Family
Bit the bullet and got my first nice fedora. A Stetson Runabout Packable Fedora Hat. I asked about rolling the hat for packing and he said sure but eventually it would look like a rolled hat. I also asked about how the hat did in the rain. He said it was fur felt and would do great..... but would end up looking like a rained on hat. He did not expand on those statements. So what happens to a packable hat and one that gets rained on?

stetson-runabout-brown-0522z_1.jpg
Congrats on the new lid. I have looked at that model many times. You can give us a follow up review after wearing it for a while.

,,,Mike in Canada

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
if I may be frank
one of the worst hats I ever owned
I bought it thinking it would travel well and be a hat I didn't have to worry about ...
after one or two light rains the felt shrunk and tapered heavily ... it also became very patchy and basically was slowly disintegrating
it has a horrible cloth sweat and a poor blocked in shape in my opinion

zero quality in this hat whatsoever

no trying to be a downer ... just being honest

if you can get a refund I would do it immediately ... if not I hope you have a different experience than I

I threw mine away

if they have not shipped it yet I recommend putting that money toward a decent hat

Last edited:

srq2002

Familiar Face
I have a walnut Runabout that I've worn for a bit more than a year, and I like it. Sure, I would prefer a leather sweatband, but I find the light, soft felt to be very pleasing, not too dissimilar from vintage Italian and English hats I own (not as good as, no, but in that direction compared to, say, a Stetson Chatham or Whippet), and I like the shape. As I received it, the 'pinch' on one side was not as deep as the other, but 30 seconds with a tea kettle fixed that.

I also tried a Runabout in caribou, but it did not seem to be as well made, and I returned it. Difference in the production runs? Difference in the dye process? Random unit-to-unit variation? I do not know.

As you roll and crush a hat, you tend to lose the original shape, so I am cautious about this. I would not deliberately smash it into my briefcase or luggage, but I am also not as obsessive about handling it as I would be, say, a Stratoliner.

If your main concern is traveling, I keep a plastic bag in my carry on. Once on the plane, I put the hat in the bag and slide it under the seat in front of me. Piece of cake.

Opinions about hats abound. I'm sorry for the bad experience some have had with the Runabout, but if you like yours, wear it, enjoy it, and have fun. I know I do.
Run.JPG

RJR

I have a walnut Runabout that I've worn for a bit more than a year, and I like it. Sure, I would prefer a leather sweatband, but I find the light, soft felt to be very pleasing, not too dissimilar from vintage Italian and English hats I own (not as good as, no, but in that direction compared to, say, a Stetson Chatham or Whippet), and I like the shape. As I received it, the 'pinch' on one side was not as deep as the other, but 30 seconds with a tea kettle fixed that.

I also tried a Runabout in caribou, but it did not seem to be as well made, and I returned it. Difference in the production runs? Difference in the dye process? Random unit-to-unit variation? I do not know.

As you roll and crush a hat, you tend to lose the original shape, so I am cautious about this. I would not deliberately smash it into my briefcase or luggage, but I am also not as obsessive about handling it as I would be, say, a Stratoliner.

If your main concern is traveling, I keep a plastic bag in my carry on. Once on the plane, I put the hat in the bag and slide it under the seat in front of me. Piece of cake.

Opinions about hats abound. I'm sorry for the bad experience some have had with the Runabout, but if you like yours, wear it, enjoy it, and have fun. I know I do.
View attachment 51203
I agree.

Xaq

New in Town
Hi fellas,

I'm interested in the Stetson Runabout in Sage but can't find many pictures or info on it. Does anybody own this hat and can let me know what you think?

Much appreciated

Hi fellas,

I'm interested in the Stetson Runabout in Sage but can't find many pictures or info on it. Does anybody own this hat and can let me know what you think?

Much appreciated

Modern Royal quality felt can often be pretty nasty stuff. If you don’t need the “packable” capability, you’d be better served with a better quality hat and one with a leather sweatband.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk