Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Whippet vs Stetson Saxon?

Malcolm

New in Town
For the money, I would invest in a custom from one of the many great hatters you will find here on the lounge. If you can't actually touch the new Stetsons to check the QC for yourself, it can be throwing money down a rat hole. My personal hatter is Mike Miller at Northwest Hats in Oregon. But there are a number of custom hatters here, search Gannon, VS, Black Sheep Hat Works, and I'm sure more folks will chime in with more. You can do much better for the same money.
J

Just bought the Stetson Whippet. I regret it. poor quality. Will replace it with a custom from Paul's hats in San Francisco

J

Just bought the Stetson Whippet. I regret it. poor quality. Will replace it with a custom from Paul's hats in San Francisco
Let us know how the hat from Paul's works out. I have watched their video and am curious as to their quality. For the prices they ask I would expect very very good unless the pricing is just a reflection of the $$$ available and the costs involved in the SanFran marketplace.

Yeah, damn I just got a Temple the other day and I did like it but now not so sure after reading the posts slamming Stetsons... I guess I'm gonna wear it anyway!:)
I agree with Moon--if you like it, wear it. I'm very satisfied with my Akubra hats, but there are more than a few members here who don't like Akubra hats for various reasons--too stiff, poor quality, and so on. I'd guess the same is true of modern Stetsons; some like 'em, some don't. This world would be an awfully boring place if we all liked and disliked the same things equally. Besides, you've already spent the money for it, so you might as well get your money's worth out of it.

Veering back towards the main topic, based on style alone I'd choose the Whippet. But I have to agree with those who have suggested a custom hat would be better quality for a not much higher price (depending on which hatter you choose, that is).

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, damn I just got a Temple the other day and I did like it but now not so sure after reading the posts slamming Stetsons... I guess I'm gonna wear it anyway!:)
I don't know about Stetsons today, but in the '90s Temples were my go-to hat: I had a black, a mink brown, a cream/silverbelly, and the nougat and silver mist gray ones I have now. The nougat one in particular is a very comfortable and sharp-looking hat. If you enjoy wearing your Temple, wear it!

RJR

I don't know about Stetsons today, but in the '90s Temples were my go-to hat: I had a black, a mink brown, a cream/silverbelly, and the nougat and silver mist gray ones I have now. The nougat one in particular is a very comfortable and sharp-looking hat. If you enjoy wearing your Temple, wear it!
+1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana