Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Still breaking in the new Highwayman-6 Months In...

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
My relatively new highwayman is more and more becoming an everyday wear piece. It is breaking in nicely and developing a great patina. Thought I'd show a photo of the jacket not only worn, but "in action".

:)
q_KOo_XXTRLi6_Lp_Q2_OWe04g_thumb_5af.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Do you use the Sheene for streetwear and the Highwayman for riding?
No, I actually sold the Sheene due to it being too tight and the sleeves shrinking too short. I bought this one a little large to account for shrinking. I know many of you have not had a shrinking problem with your Aero jackets, but my experience is that they get a little more snug after getting caught in a few rains and with sun exposure.

Peacoat

Bartender
Glad to see that someone else has had the shrinking problem I was met with disbelief when I stated my Schott Cafe Racer had shrunk after getting wet. It has now been wet several times, not soaked but just wet, and it fits more like a size 40 short than a 46. I bought it large for layering; now it is over my belt buckle in length, sleeves are over my wrist with no way to layer under it. I can still wear it on short local trips in mild weather. It looks pretty cool with the fading to grey patina it has developed over the years.

willyto

One Too Many
Glad to see that someone else has had the shrinking problem I was met with disbelief when I stated my Schott Cafe Racer had shrunk after getting wet. It has now been wet several times, not soaked but just wet, and it fits more like a size 40 short than a 46. I bought it large for layering; now it is over my belt buckle in length, sleeves are over my wrist with no way to layer under it. I can still wear it on short local trips in mild weather. It looks pretty cool with the fading to grey patina it has developed over the years.
That's some serious shrinking! I've had my Aero soaked completely in warm water and nothing happened to it in terms of lenght or size.

Peacoat

Bartender
That's some serious shrinking! I've had my Aero soaked completely in warm water and nothing happened to it in terms of lenght or size.
The first time it got wet was a light misting on a ride. Let it dry naturally overnight. Had quite a bit of shrinkage, but it was still wearable. The second time I left in outside overnight after a ride. All it saw was the dew. More shrinkage.

I only posted my original message in this thread because @tnjyoung had shrinkage with his Aero, and that gave my story some credibility. In the past no one has believed that my School really shrank. Someone actually said, "Well there must be something else going on here." No there was nothing else going on here except some light misting and the dew.

Mark

Practically Family
I like the bike too. Triumph seems to accomodate my long legs better than most. Wish I had bought my friend's Steve McQueen when I had the chance.
Hi Fanch, surley a Harley with forward controls is what you want for you taller guys?

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
A Harley with forward controls ?

HEY ! I resemble that remark haha....

Nice Aero it must also be said !

And for what it's worth , I got soaked riding plenty in Scotland before my 22 years ago emigration to Perth Western Australia.

AND I've occasionally been DRENCHED here over the years , never had a leather jacket "shrink" ? Maybe just "lucky" ?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

That really is extraordinary. I wonder what factors lead to shrinkage in jackets. I have put a dozen jackets in the washing machine with detergent over the years - goat, cow, steer, horse, veg tanned and chrome tanned and not one has ever come out a different size.

I had a steer Hein Gericke shrink years ago. While riding with a group of guys about 300 miles from home we hit a cloud burst traveling up the interstate at about 70-75 MPH. Got soaked ( including leather jacket ) before we could get under a bridge and get rain suits on. Then immediately the hot sun came out to bake us. I took off the hot rubberized rain suit and finished the ride home in the HG. The hot sun fried the wringing wet leather jacket as we rode the rest of the way home. Drinking a quite satisfying cold brew back at the local bar, I noticed that the HG sleeves had shrunk probably and inch or more as well as body length. The jacket stiffened up quite a bit and I tried some kind of leather potion on it ( this was probably mid 1980s..before I got into custom leather and various leather dressings ) and attempted to stretch it back in shape to no avail. I sold it to a smaller guy who had admired the German jacket. I remember that one sleeve had shrunk a little more than the other...but I'll be damned if the guy who bought it didn't have one arm longer than the other and just matched the sleeves on the leather jacket. He was ecstatic..and so was I...:D

Peacoat

Bartender
Good story, HD. At least you have had the same experience as I had. And my jacket was never soaked, just a light misting the first time and the dew the second. Each time I let it dry naturally in the shade.

The only other experience I have had with leather and water was a Pakistani MC jacket. This is a well made jacket with a thick steer shell of about 4 mm. I bought it one size larger as I was going to layer under it. I was a little heavier than my normal weight at the time due to an injury and inability to get exercise. Post injury I lost weight, and the jacket was too large. I put it in the tub with lukewarm water and gave it a good soaking. Let it dry naturally at room temperature. It shrank down one size and was (is) a good fit. Both this jacket and the Schott are vegetable tanned. I doubt I would get much, if any, shrinkage with my CXL jackets. And yes, I know George Constanza. He also has had problems with shrinkage in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk