Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Still Life with Hats . . .

CIMG4083.JPG

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
A ~500# limestone & concrete gatepost with a pink sandstone (Feldspar?) cap. (Maybe Rockwater can help identify the cap). Shown with my Ritch Rand Natural Beaver Tom Mix. Pic from 2016.

View attachment 107990

View attachment 107992
Greetings HJ et al:
Hard to tell but looks like a pink Quartzite. A very dense (@metamorphic) sandstone. I could be wrong. Feldspars are in granites and the pink colored mineral one would be Orthoclase. I’d have to hit it with a rock hammer and hear the sound to really know. Ha Cool hat.
Be well. Bowen
PS: pretty sure that rock used to be a pretty nice beach somwhere long ago. B

Last edited:
Greetings HJ et al:
Hard to tell but looks like a pink Quartzite. A very dense (@metamorphic) sandstone. I could be wrong. Feldspars are in granites and the pink colored mineral one would be Orthoclase. I’d have to hit it with a rock hammer and hear the sound to really know. Ha Cool hat.
Be well. Bowen
PS: pretty sure that rock used to be a pretty nice beach somwhere long ago. B
Bowen, I looked up Pink Quartzite & would say you are dead on. It's not easy to find or plentiful here but does surface in remote areas from time to time. I always dig it out when I can. There is a small family cemetery here on the National Historic Registry. It is located on property that was once a large plantation. The original plantation home stood abandoned until the 1970's when it was struck by lightening. There are graves around the outer edge of the cemetery marked only by this Pink Quartzite. It is believed (maybe documented) these are the graves of slaves. Two or three generations of the family rest in the center. So at one time the Pink Quartzite must have been more plentiful here.

Thanks for your expertise!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Bowen, I looked up Pink Quartzite & would say you are dead on. It's not easy to find or plentiful here but does surface in remote areas from time to time. I always dig it out when I can. There is a small family cemetery here on the National Historic Registry. It is located on property that was once a large plantation. The original plantation home stood abandoned until the 1970's when it was struck by lightening. There are graves around the outer edge of the cemetery marked only by this Pink Quartzite. It is believed (maybe documented) these are the graves of slaves. Two or three generations of the family rest in the center. So at one time the Pink Quartzite must have been more plentiful here.

Thanks for your expertise!
HJ:
Thanks. Cool history. Far as the Quartzite. In your pic the giveaway to me was the sheen on the right side of the rock and more so that “sugarey” texture and how it fractured on the left shaded side.
That Quartzite strata is still there HJ, you just can’t see it cause it is either buried or more likely “caps” the ridges. Your area was not always a desert, originally a serious ocean beach, and quartz is the most resistant rock type and “stands in relief” of other rock types. Quartzite is some serious hard rock.
An aside, Google Senaca Rocks WV. It is the Tuscarora Sandstone/Quartzite that forms the most awesome ridges round here. Forgive my rants. I do dig rocks. Maybe Rockwater can chime in too.
Be well. Bowen

Rockwater

A-List Customer
A ~500# limestone & concrete gatepost with a pink sandstone (Feldspar?) cap. (Maybe Rockwater can help identify the cap). Shown with my Ritch Rand Natural Beaver Tom Mix. Pic from 2016.

View attachment 107990

View attachment 107992

Rock ID can be difficult from 1000 miles. Could be quartzite, could be feldspar from an intrusive dyke, could be something else. For sure, it wears that beautiful hat better than I ever could.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ