Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stingy Brim...

Jauntyone

Practically Family
I think the general concensus here is that a hat with a brim less than two inches is a stingy. In the 1930s, hats had narrower brims, 2 1/8" or 2 1/4" seemed to be common brim widths and a 2 1/2" brim was considered "wide". In the 1940s, brims got wider and crowns shrank a bit. In the 1960s both brims and crowns shrank, though in general crowns were fuller on 60s stingy brims than they are to-day. Most 1960s hats that I own have 1 3/4" brims with a few 1 7/8" and 1 5/8".
But "stingy" is relative to the time period. Stingy by 1940s standards isn't the same as stingy by 1960s standards. The two inch rule is a good standard in my opinion.
(Just want to add that I'm not an expert!)

Jauntyone

Practically Family
My pleasure, Areliano:)
I think two things are important to looking good in a stingy. First, make sure the hat has a fuller crown with little taper. Tapered crowns are what contribute to a "pinhead" effect some get with stingies. Second, make sure your other clothes harmonize in proportion. If you wear voluminous suits with wide lapels and wide ties, then you should wear a hat to match. Narrow-brim hats look best with (relatively) slimmer-fitting clothes, narrower lapels, etc. Again, this all just my opinion!

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Jauntyone said:
My pleasure, Areliano:)
I think two things are important to looking good in a stingy. First, make sure the hat has a fuller crown with little taper. Tapered crowns are what contribute to a "pinhead" effect some get with stingies. Second, make sure your other clothes harmonize in proportion. If you wear voluminous suits with wide lapels and wide ties, then you should wear a hat to match. Narrow-brim hats look best with (relatively) slimmer-fitting clothes, narrower lapels, etc. Again, this all just my opinion!

Wow, I never thought to make that connection before but it certainly makes sense given the clothing styles that coincided with the different hat styles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk