Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stoves - vintage camping

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gentlemen: I've just picked up an old turn-of-the-Century camping/travelling stove. Found it literally plastered in dirt and dust that has coated this brass stove for over half a century. With elbow grease, soap and water and then some Brasso, it came up nicely and even the branded "MONITOR" Label was discovered (it was just invisible under the grime).
Similar stoves were used on Scott's Expedition.
There is an old merchant's store (this place hasn't changed since the 30's and the owner who still works there is in her 90's) near to me that has been going for 'at least' 100-years. They have old wittled tent pegs from the 40's, various brass lamps..etc. There's probably even 'lost tribes' and a colony of Dodo's living down one of the many aisles..!!
I've got a few pieces to find/source before I can have *blast off* (well hopefully it won't be THAT dramatic!) with this little baby.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That is pretty cool. I always use an MSR whisperlite, but you definitely win on the cool factor. I have never used a paraffin stove, where do you get the fuel?

Oldsarge

One Too Many
If anyone is interested, I have a mid-century Primus that saw use less than a couple of dozen times. My father bought it in Kalispell, Montana when I was in Boy Scouts or possibly Explorers. It works beautifully but I have no real need for it. When I take up camping again it will be in a teardrop trailer and a single burner Primus won't be good for much there, either.

I also have a large collection of odd ammunition that I was given by a friend shortly before he passed away. If any of you are cartridge collectors, shoot me a PM.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Liquid paraffin is, I believe, kerosene. This is a much safer fuel than gasoline (petrol) but one that doesn't burn as hot in a stove. In a lamp it gives a yellower, softer light than white gas.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I use Kerosene in my old brass Tilley Lamps (made in Northern Ireland, no less!) and just buy it in a plastic container at a local merchants'. I love the comforting *hiss* it makes as it's helped on its' journey via air pressure, forced through the nozzle to ignite into something that resembles the glow of a supernova at night.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
A mid-sixties Swedish Radius stove. It needs cleaning but everything is there, even the little throat cleaning wire on a handle.

FedoraLoungePix004.jpg

FedoraLoungePix006.jpg

FedoraLoungePix007.jpg

mrbieler

New in Town
I have a nice Coleman 425 from 1949 I love to use. Little pocket stove from the early 1950's that also gets regular use. The old stoves are fun. So are the old lanterns. Neat projects to get them up and running properly.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Managed to get another Monitor for parts and had the test firing up the other evening. Once the pressure was up I brewed a pot of coffee..!! Very nice too :)
Pretty chuffed that this old girl is back in working order and looking for a camping excuse to really test her.
NOTE - pics show the initial flame after the burnt off meths has created enough heat to draw and ignite the paraffin. I then pumped her to really get the pressure going and a strong flame to cook with.

9c9187df.jpg

d4b6f43b.jpg

769e19a1.jpg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Very cool stove you have there, Paddy!

We have cooked on the WWII GI pocket stoves. For our "regular" camping we had a vintage Coleman 2-burner camp stove that we used for years until it finally bit the dust.

Found a photo!
153ns5c.jpg

Last edited:

JEEP

Practically Family
OptimusSvea123R.jpg

Working at an outdoor store, I have a lot of stoves - some of them vintage.

Above is my new Optimus Svea 123R, a classic design from around 1890. This stove runs on white gas and is a self pressuriser, which you prime with alcohol or white gas.
The123R is one of the most succesfull stove designs - and was, for many years, one of the lightest and most compact stoves available. It is still highly popular among mountaineers.
I have personally seen examples of 60+ years old 123's still being in use and functioning perfectly.

I also use the classic army Trangia from time to time (the steel version), but I must admit that I - despite it's greas popularity - often finds it too heavy and way too ineffective.

I have recently aquired a vintage 1940/-50's aluminium cookset (pot w. lid/pan and kettle) for my 123R. I will post pictures soon.

James71

A-List Customer
Ive moved from super compact whitewater expedition boats to an Old Town canoe, so have a fair bit more space to pack gear. Ive been using a MSR pocket rocket for years, but would love something with more class and a vintage feel. The SVEA looks great, but seems not to be available in australia.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I like the choice of a macchinetta as part of the demonstration of these stoves. That is camping with good taste.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's my recent Etsy find a British built Monitor 17B, it needs a a good clean and possibly a new leather cup washer on the pump rod, other than that it looks to be in decent nick;
255o0m0.jpg

and in its components
a9paau.jpg

and in its original tin
znjtw9.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk