Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strange Stratoliner

stetsonofagun

One of the Regulars
Ok, so I got this Stratoliner a little while back. It looks very original but has a 2" brim. I've been searching off and on for a hat with similar brim size but have had no luck. Was the sweatband replaced at some point? Was the brim trimmed? What is goung on? Has anyone else out there experienced this?
uploadfromtaptalk1457719461451.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1457719495636.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1457719505564.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Alexander Sommerset

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't day anything is necessarily "amiss." In the 50s and 60s a lot of older hats were cut down and reworked to fit the early 60s stingy brim fashion trend. I saw on a website an early 40s Whippet that had been cut down that way and I've seen them on ebay before. I doubt very sincerely that the Strat ever left the Stetson factory looking like that. My guess is that it was cut down.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
When vintage hats were contemporary full service hat shops were common and their services included everything to repair/rebuild or completely change a hats style. It's not that uncommon to come across vintage hats that have been modified in some way. Also, a modern DIY'er could have performed the changes to this hat.

Last edited:

stetsonofagun

One of the Regulars
It is definitely "old school" work and not a recent rework. The ribbon shows fading and other traits that may not show in the picture.

stetsonofagun

One of the Regulars
Now that I know, it kind of pisses me off. Lol. I got it not even thinking to ask for a brim measurement. I don't think I look as good with anything less than 2-1/4" of brim.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Now that I know, it kind of pisses me off. Lol. I got it not even thinking to ask for a brim measurement. I don't think I look as good with anything less than 2-1/4" of brim.

still a nice looking piece

didn't you recognize that the ribbon was not a Strat ribbon ?

RJR

I wouldn't day anything is necessarily "amiss." In the 50s and 60s a lot of older hats were cut down and reworked to fit the early 60s stingy brim fashion trend. I saw on a website an early 40s Whippet that had been cut down that way and I've seen them on ebay before. I doubt very sincerely that the Strat ever left the Stetson factory looking like that. My guess is that it was cut down.
I agree,still a nice looking hat.

stetsonofagun

One of the Regulars
I'll probably end up passing it on. Didn't even think about the ribbon when I first saw it.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

I don't think the brim's been cut down. I believe it's the original width. Brim widths on Strats and ORs were all over the place and I think I've seen that 2' width before on other Strats. The only modification I see is the ribbon change. Not original, but it stands out nice. Wouldn't be hard to change it back if you can find a matching 3/8 ribbon.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I don't think the brim's been cut down. I believe it's the original width. Brim widths on Strats and ORs were all over the place and I think I've seen that 2' width before on other Strats. The only modification I see is the ribbon change. Not original, but it stands out nice. Wouldn't be hard to change it back if you can find a matching 3/8 ribbon.

brim was definitely trimmed

I've owned probably 25 or more Strats in my time collecting from all eras and the brims do vary ... but never more than 1/8 or so

I've also never seen one with less than a 2 1/2" brim

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I seem to recall there being a thread here on Stetsons with jumbled up parts.

Maybe this hat just happened to get the Stratoliner sweatband at the factory?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
brim was definitely trimmed

I've owned probably 25 or more Strats in my time collecting from all eras and the brims do vary ... but never more than 1/8 or so

I've also never seen one with less than a 2 1/2" brim
Have to disagree, buddy. I've seen a few with less than 2 1/2 inches of brim. I was going to bid on a couple at different times until I saw that the brims were 2 1/4. John Galt was selling one a while back that had 2 1/4 inches of brim.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Have to disagree, buddy. I've seen a few with less than 2 1/2 inches of brim. I was going to bid on a couple at different times until I saw that the brims were 2 1/4. John Galt was selling one a while back that had 2 1/4 inches of brim.

hmm... never seen

... and definitely never seen one anywhere close to 2"

I have however bought quite a few Stratoliners where the seller had completely incorrectly measured the brim

for whatever reason I've found that many sellers have no idea how to measure a bound brim ... can't for the life of me figure out why ... but they are almost always wrong

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana