Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stranger Things - that sherif hat

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
gives me the vibe of my 50s era grey Open Road
1e3512c394960e5939444a7cec6589a3.jpg

I’d say either seek out an old open road or get an RM Williams and reshape it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
Yes! That's what David Harbour has stated, that they started out with a vintage Open Road.

About the Akubra Bluegrass Green, here's a couple shots were it looks very close to the screen hat.

First is a photo posted on a Fedora Lounge discussion of Akubra colours. These sorts of photos are extremely helpful to me, because I don't have a way of seeing any of these in person.

A group of Akubras, the one on the far right is said to be Bluegrass Green

tPll3Uo.jpg

Seems to me that the screen hat is halfway between the Heritage Fawn (lower centre) and the Bluegrass Green (far right)

HHX4yY5.jpg

A colour that looks pretty good to me (based on one photo, I know how misleading that can be) is this Biltmore Wilderness in Caribou. The crown would have to be changed of course.

0T7uPib.jpg

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yes! That's what David Harbour has stated, that they started out with a vintage Open Road.

About the Akubra Bluegrass Green, here's a couple shots were it looks very close to the screen hat.

First is a photo posted on a Fedora Lounge discussion of Akubra colours. These sorts of photos are extremely helpful to me, because I don't have a way of seeing any of these in person.

A group of Akubras, the one on the far right is said to be Bluegrass Green

tPll3Uo.jpg
those are my hats

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
Wow! You are the man.

You don't know how valuable it is to me to be able to see all those side by side.

I would love to be able to see those in person! But alas.

Next time I'm in Seattle I'll visit David Morgan and see at least some examples of Akubra colours.

Last edited:

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
This photo of a Campdraft bash looks very close to the Hopper screen hat, to me.

xKkf57s.jpg

Thing is, I've been checking around and it seems that the Campdraft is only offered in three colours, none quite right.

So as far as I can tell it will be a matter of going with a brim a tad too small (Stratoliner or Stylemaster) or a brim too big (Bushman). I do want a bound brim turned up all around, that's a given.

Unless there's a better alternative, or I can somehow come across a vintage hat that fits my fat head (unlikely) I'll probably go with a bit smaller brim, like this Stratoliner in Caribou

tL53eTX.jpg

It would be great if someone could post photos of a Stetson Caribou and an Akubra Heritage Fawn side by side.

I'm puzzled by the several different Akubra "fawn" colours (or different names for the same colours?) that I see online.

Last edited:
This photo of a Campdraft bash looks very close to the Hopper screen hat, to me.

xKkf57s.jpg

Thing is, I've been checking around and it seems that the Campdraft is only offered in three colours, none quite right.

So as far as I can tell it will be a matter of going with a brim a tad too small (Stratoliner or Stylemaster) or a brim too big (Bushman). I do want a bound brim turned up all around, that's a given.

Unless there's a better alternative, or I can somehow come across a vintage hat that fits my fat head (unlikely) I'll probably go with a bit smaller brim, like this Stratoliner in Caribou

tL53eTX.jpg

It would be great if someone could post photos of a Stetson Caribou and an Akubra Heritage Fawn side by side.

I'm puzzled by the several different Akubra "fawn" colours (or different names for the same colours?) that I see online.

If such accuracy is of primary importance to you, go custom.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Look, aside from the fact that there can be slight differences between felts due to manufacturing tolerances and differences in lighting in the pics you see online, every frame of a show like Stranger Things has been put through a ton of digital processing. In other words, who knows what the exact color is.

I'll third Fruno's advice. If you want exacting specifications, get a custom hat. Otherwise, nobody can decide whats "close enough" for you. That's your subjective call.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
Next time I'm in Seattle I'll visit David Morgan and see at least some examples of Akubra colours.

I completely forgot David Morgan was local to me (8 miles), and little did I know, I worked in the same retail location. Dang, I'll have to stop by sometime and pay a visit.

A few gratuitous shots of my Bluegrass Green Campdraft:
BU5jxxOh.jpg

klzv7o1h.jpg

tJogP3Qh.jpg

m573adCh.jpg

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
Thanks for the Bluegrass Campdraft pics! Very nice. Indeed the style is very close, and the colour (which is wonderful) looks like the Hopper hat looks in many scenes.

Yes the comments are well taken, about going custom.

My intention was to get the closest thing I could find, and bash it.

If I had $700 to spend on a hat, yes, I'd get the custom reproduction hat. But alas!

I just now picked up a vintage Akubra on Ebay. I will see, when it comes, if I'm able to bash it to resemble the screen hat.

I'm actually not a total fanatic about screen accuracy- close enough is good enough, if needs be.

I suppose what I had in mind, when posting all of this, was that one of the experts here might say "hey, check out the _______ it's a dead ringer for the Hopper hat!" But evidently such a thing doesn't exist.

Thanks again for all your help! Richard

ברוך הבא בשם אדוני

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the Bluegrass Campdraft pics! Very nice. Indeed the style is very close, and the colour (which is wonderful) looks like the Hopper hat looks in many scenes.

Yes the comments are well taken, about going custom.

My intention was to get the closest thing I could find, and bash it.

If I had $700 to spend on a hat, yes, I'd get the custom reproduction hat. But alas!

I just now picked up a vintage Akubra on Ebay. I will see, when it comes, if I'm able to bash it to resemble the screen hat.

I'm actually not a total fanatic about screen accuracy- close enough is good enough, if needs be.

I suppose what I had in mind, when posting all of this, was that one of the experts here might say "hey, check out the _______ it's a dead ringer for the Hopper hat!" But evidently such a thing doesn't exist.

Thanks again for all your help! Richard

ברוך הבא בשם אדוני

What custom makers quoted you $700?

There are hatters here who will make you that hat for under $300

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
I was using incorrect terminology I suppose, I called it the "custom reproduction" hat which is an oxymoron (since the maker is offering it).

Well I'll see just what colour the used Akubra I got on Ebay is when it comes. If nothing else it will allow me to get some experience hat-bashing, which I've not done, at a rather low price.

Last edited:

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
The best photos showing the colour, perhaps, are these two, both taken in outdoor light, and for once showing the same colour between the two:

ZRRiqQT.png

xvcRJs8.png

This photo is great for the shaping:

e8tTz8E.png

As for myself, I picked up this used Akubra on Ebay that will do nicely once I bash it. Thanks all for your help!

ccyt4VG.jpg

I have no idea what this colour was called by whichever retailer sold it, and it matters not.

Last edited:

HatAddict94

Familiar Face
IMG_20180403_085250_256.jpg I actually own the hat from worth and worth. Here it is with no filters added. The cool thing about this hat is that it changes colors depending on the lighting. Sometimes it's kinda brown and sometimes it' grey. I'l post more pics if needed. I will say that it does not look as weathered and used as you see on the site which is really annoying. But over time it builds character. I wouldn't have spent the 600 bucks on it if I knew this but I do love the hat.
IMG_20180403_085250_256.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points