Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Homburg??

undertaker

Practically Family
I have been watching "Poirot" and in several episodes he wears a straw homburg that I fancy very much. I have found one by Dobbs called the El Dorado. Has anyone here had any experience with it or if does anyone know where I might purchase one more like Poirots?

eldorado_2.jpg

Thanks,
J.S.

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
I have the Dobbs El Dorado. It is a nice straw hat that I use for dressier occasions. The straw is somewhat stiff, but overall, I like the hat. I happened to find mine on eBay. I do know that Miller Hats does offer it, though.

theinterchange

One Too Many
I like several of the straws Suchet wears as Poirot... several of the felt hats, too. I'd be interested to see what others have to say about the straws.

Not that this adds anything to your query, but I really like the hat Hugh Fraser wears in Murder in Mesopotamia. It's quite unlike anything else you see him wear, very outback-ish.

David_Suchet_is_Hercule_Poirot.jpg

Randy

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Here is a selection straw Homburgs from Hippodrome Hatters in Baltimore with various colors and creases.

Anyone had experience with these?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Great post, I had the same question. Everytime I watch a film set in the Belle Epoque during the summer or in the "colonies" during the interwar period I get this strong desire for a straw homburg to wear with a linen suit...
Now I just make do with my Panama...

278.jpg

18866245.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I have a straw homburg; it is one by Dobbs, but not the shantung model, this is milan. It is not real milan, but a synthetic material (or at least has some plastic-like coating) which is stiffer and can not be re-modelled with home means; this is often found in modern hats.

This is mine (from my pic files):

DSC_0726bb.jpg

Not a bad hat, but I would like one in a more traditional material, and in a natural colour. I know Optimo has it, but its prices are beyond my possibilities. Those by Hippodrome look the part - but they do not put prices at the 'site, isn't it? And they provide no email address,neither. If someone calls them, please let us know (and ask them for an email address!)

Edward

Bartender
Nice hat. I like modern polystraw, myself, as I lean to the view that it holds up better if caught in rain. I hope, when funds allow, to pick up a couple of straw hombergs (one black, one natural) for semi-formal wear in the Summer months.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
I have been considering an El Dorado, myself. However, I haven't been able to find a retailer who has one in my size. It seems that Dobbs discontinued the style at some point. Thanks, wgiceman, for the tip about Miller Hats...it's listed as available on their website so I'm going to drop them a note to see if they do in fact have one in my size.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Edward said:
Nice hat. I like modern polystraw, myself, as I lean to the view that it holds up better if caught in rain. I hope, when funds allow, to pick up a couple of straw hombergs (one black, one natural) for semi-formal wear in the Summer months.

Agreed as to water-resitanceness (is that a word? ;) ) and holding shape qualities. I tried to modify mine (with a frontal pinch) and even hot water would not affect it.

Also, some colours may be too shiny/stark looking.

Regards!

JimWagner

Practically Family
undertaker said:
I have been watching "Poirot" and in several episodes he wears a straw homburg that I fancy very much. I have found one by Dobbs called the El Dorado. Has anyone here had any experience with it or if does anyone know where I might purchase one more like Poirots?

eldorado_2.jpg

Thanks,
J.S.

I have a Dobbs El Dorado. I ordered it from Aztexhats.com.

As others have stated it is a Shantung straw hat and rather stiff. It's kind of plastic-y feeling to me like every other Shantung I've handled, but an ok hat.

Edward

Bartender
Torpedo said:
Agreed as to water-resitanceness (is that a word? ;) ) and holding shape qualities. I tried to modify mine (with a frontal pinch) and even hot water would not affect it.

Also, some colours may be too shiny/stark looking.

Regards!

Yes, the more natural and/or muted colours look better, I agree. I like blacks and greys in these, though I've not been so struck on some of the greens and so on. I have a polystraw, Milano weave pork pie from My Baby Jo - an inexpensive hat, pretty pleased with the quality for the money. It wouldn't take being sat on, but it will soften over time. I do suspect that were I to hit it with some steam I could put a pinch in it, though I prefer not to (I like the Sinatraesque look it has as is, plus I have an Akubra Capricorn in the same grey shade on the way).

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Torpedo said:
Hello,

I have a straw homburg; it is one by Dobbs, but not the shantung model, this is milan. It is not real milan, but a synthetic material (or at least has some plastic-like coating) which is stiffer and can not be re-modelled with home means; this is often found in modern hats.

Hey, it's been a while! Good to see you around again. I wish I had a use for a straw Homburg. I always liked your Dobbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21