Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Types

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Montecristi Panama (Ecuador) > Very fine high grade and expensive straw hat handwoven from toquilla on the island of Montecristi.

Montecristi is a small town about 20 minutes inland from the Pacific port town of Manta, Ecuador. The hats are woven within an hour's drive from Montecristi in several villages, but processed in town.

Would this be considered Parasisal?

3403932263_cff69033b1.jpg

Also here is Mayser Parabuntal I saw on German Ebay.

hellerhut.jpg

hellerhutinnenr.jpg

hellerhutemb.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This is exactly why we need more photos of confirmed examples of particular materials and weaves.

This Champ Triumph is made of imported Honjo. Sounds Japanese but I couldn't find anything about it. Could be a trade name. Any info would be appreciated.

3324_74262206892_768896892_1601440_14119_n.jpg

jpbales

Practically Family
Here's my input:

These are the best weave close-ups that I could manage. I wish I had some better lighting!

Vintage Stetson Milan weave:
StetsonMilan.jpg

Vintage Stetson Leghorn weave:
StetsonLeghorn.jpg

Miller Milan weave:
MillerMilan.jpg

Guatemalan Palm Leaf:
GuatemalenPalmLeaf.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
I have this Churchill Leghorn straw finding its way Down Under. I have wanted oned for years and they don't come up much in this condition or at all on evilBay.

Of course, as you know, the temperature has gone as high as 43.5C (110.3F) recently!

It is a LO and 59 so I will need to give it a stretch up to 60-61 but I suspect being LO might make it easier.

Leghorn is a featherweight, open-weave hat made of specially cultured and woven wheat fiber, shipped from the port of Leghorn, whence it gets its name. The finer, upper portion of the the wheat stalk is plaited into Leghorn braid. This straw hat is light, durable, clear and bright in color.

Last edited:

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
As people viewing the "What hat are you wearing today" thread may have noticed, I love my parabuntal that I recently acquired and finished. Parabuntal is quite hard to find. So, I spent a bit of time (and money!) scouring the Interwebs for cheap old vintage ladies' straw hats that weren't listed as such but seemed to be similar in appearance and description to mine, so I could remake them into men's hats. The first one to arrive showed up today. It was also the one that I had the most doubt about, due to the low resolution pics. It is finely woven, but I think it is a very fine Milan. As I am not sure, I would appreciate any expert insight into the matter.
I have to switch to Tapatalk to post pics, should be easy to find this thread now!:)
Be right back with pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto