Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tab Collar Shirts Still Available?

BTJepson

New in Town
I'm a huge fan of vintage suits from mid-century, a la Mad Men and the original Ocean's 11, and I've been in search of tab collared shirts for a while now. Does anyone know of any good non-bespoke sources for them? I love the finished look of the skinny tie poking out from the tab collar and then cascading down into the sharkskin jacket.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Used to wear them to work now and again.
Brooks brothers has them off the rack for about 80 bucks.

618E_WHITE

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Tab the collar, not the bill, not the drink & not the Hunter

BTJepson said:
I'm a huge fan of vintage suits from mid-century, a la Mad Men and the original Ocean's 11, and I've been in search of tab collared shirts for a while now. Does anyone know of any good non-bespoke sources for them? I love the finished look of the skinny tie poking out from the tab collar and then cascading down into the sharkskin jacket.

In the actual Mad Men/Eames Era tab the collar was common in all mens depts. as stated today you'll have to pay up :eek: $$ for these shirts! Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

brendon

Familiar Face
Solid Citizen said:
In the actual Mad Men/Eames Era tab the collar was common in all mens depts. as stated today you'll have to pay up :eek: $$ for these shirts! Solid Citizen :rolleyes:
therye currently avalble from savill row company website for about 25 pounds

BTJepson

New in Town
I just received my Paul Fredrick tab collar shirt with french cuffs and monogram, all for $60.00 and some change. I'll try it on and let you know how it fits. It looks beautiful!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
What's this nonsense about the shirt having a size "16-16 1/2" neck? What does that mean? Is is, in fact, a 16 1/4? [huh]

No. It's sold for a man with a 16-16 1/2 inch neck. Factor in RTW breathing room and shrinkage allowances, and it probably actually measures close to 17".

When I sold MTM shirts, we took a bare-skin neck measurement and added 3/4" to arrive at the collar size. 1/2" of breathing room and 1/4" of shrink allowance.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Men with necks that regularly expand and contract. Yikes.

They are preparing for the Frogmen that will inhabit the earth in a post apocalyptic nightmare world. Rowdy Roddy Piper will be the last fertile man on earth and shall be tasked with continuing humanity, much to the Frogmen's chagrin.

Really it's very forward thinking for J Crew, but a necessity one day regardless.

No, I did not make this up.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
mike said:
They are preparing for the Frogmen that will inhabit the earth in a post apocalyptic nightmare world. Rowdy Roddy Piper will be the last fertile man on earth and shall be tasked with continuing humanity, much to the Frogmen's chagrin.

Really it's very forward thinking for J Crew, but a necessity one day regardless.

No, I did not make this up.

But wouldnt FrogMen wear turtlenecks???

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
MrBern said:
Depending on the maker, it connects with a snap or a button.

And before the 1960s, both tabs had buttonholes. You had to wear a detachable collar button with this shirt, even though its collar was attached. The tabs buttoned onto the detachable collar button. Does that make sense? No?

A picture's worth a thousand words:

Morephotos003.jpg
[/QUOTE]

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i haven't found a modern maker who does a good vintage-looking RTW version of this type of shirt collar. the only way to get one seems to be to go the custom route.

(edit: some of the old links on the previous page are still working, and show some tab collar shirts available, but the fabric choice seems to be either white or light blue).

p.s. if you have any good images of vintage tab collars please add them here.

tab_ref_1_zps03d28d6f.png

tab_ref_2_zps2de335ce.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points