Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tail fins (cars)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
a2166bbc6c68d34a2a4a6032e9095ffb.jpg

THIS.

The mighty Chrysler 300 is the epitome of the Golden Age. Gold star to anybody that can ID the actor and TV show.

I thought that "Golden Age" cars had running boards...

Sorry Lizzie, not even close. For male overcompensation, nothing and I mean nothing, beats the Jaguar E Type! Freud could have written several volumes on that car and a certain P word symbol!
untitled_zpsaeduzhzq.png

Well, male overcompensation has existed practically as long as there have been motor cars.

image.jpeg

^^^ As a fan of visiting old cemeteries on vacation - there is so much history there - it is amazing how what you showed above, is so typical. You can feel the "arms" race in many cemeteries.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
A Name You'll Never Forget
Most Powerful Brass Era Car, pre-1916
1907-1908 Apperson Big Dick, 96hp
For those with $15,000 to spend, Apperson would put their race engine in a 50hp Jackrabbit runabout to create the Big Dick. A 96hp racing runabout, the Big Dick actually had the highest advertised horsepower in an American automobile through 1914. It had open exhaust and a 6 1/4-inch bore and 5 1/2-inch stroke, for 675-cu.in. Amazingly, the company sold 15 of them, and that in the face of competition from Locomobile's own $15,000 short stroke 990.1-cu.in., 90hp Cup Racer (the factory claimed 120hp for the 1906 Vanderbilt Cup car upon which it was based).

357251-1000-0.jpg

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
He turned a '59 Cadillac into a '62 Chrysler. A much uglier '62 Chrysler.

I guess I can completely understand why folks want to credit Bob Bourke with the '53 Studebaker. It would appear Loewy had about as much car-design talent as Frank Lloyd Wright.

wright_cherokee_red_lincoln.jpg
that is basically a 41 Continental made into a sedanca ? Some may call it a, 'ahmm' Classic car. Maybe from the so called classic car era but certainly not a classic :(

Did someone say Bat cars?

Batmobiles_zpsvf4fegcp.jpg

Look at those fins! The horror...the horror...the horror...

Still think the original '60s TV series had the best Batmobile, despite almost everything else being cheesy wrong in the show. All these others looks off, forced, generic whereas the '60s ones has style and personality. But of course, this is all opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana