Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tape Measure to measure around the inside of the Sweatband.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if anyone has posted something similar to this, but I thought I would show this little tool I put together for measuring around the inside of the sweatband.

I bought a 36 inch metal tape-measure which is 1/4" wide and cut it off at about 30". I then formed it into a circle and used three staples from my stapler to clamp around the tape. The staples hold the tape in its circular form and allow it to slide to different measurements.

I works great. Something everyone can use, and easily make, if you need to measure around the inside of the Sweatband. You can also use it to measure your head size. This works so much better for me than a cloth tape measure.

Scott

PC290006.JPG PC290005.JPG PC290001.JPG PC290005.JPG

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if anyone has posted something similar to this, but I thought I would show this little tool I put together for measuring around the inside of the sweatband.

I bought a 36 inch metal tape-measure which is 1/4" wide and cut it off at about 30". I then formed it into a circle and used three staples from my stapler to clamp around the tape. The staples hold the tape in its circular form and allow it to slide to different measurements.

I works great. Something everyone can use if you need to measure around the inside of the Sweatband. You can also use it measure your head size. This works so much better for me than a cloth tape measure.

Scott

View attachment 106931 View attachment 106932 View attachment 106933 View attachment 106934
Greetings Scott et al:
Ha ha... i did the exact sane thing! Looks like the same tape too. Got mine out of the candy jar at the register for about a buck. Great idea using staples, i used bread bag twisties.
Works great with only two hands. Not four! Ha
Be well. Bowen

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Greetings Scott et al:
Ha ha... i did the exact sane thing! Looks like the same tape too. Got mine out of the candy jar at the register for about a buck. Great idea using staples, i used bread bag twisties.
Works great with only two hands. Not four! Ha
Be well. Bowen

Yes much easier to use than a sewing tape or Tailors tape. And as you said they are cheap to make.

Mustang Mike's Hats

A-List Customer

LOVED IT! Very ingenious!!!

I've always found front to back and side to side measurement to be far more accurate to determine a good fit

the circumference will not account for long, wide or regular oval

That's a good point.

It is also is much easier for a seller to get their brain around and do accurately... in case you should ever venture to buy a hat on eBay.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
There's also this: If you know the size of a hat, you can figure out the circumference of the it (and thereby your head, if the hat is a proper fit) by multiplying it by pi. For example, if the hat is a 7-1/4, multiply 7.25 * 3.14.

22.765" is the circumference.

Similarly, if you know the circumference of your head in inches, divide that value by pi.

There's also this: If you know the size of a hat, you can figure out the circumference of the it (and thereby your head, if the hat is a proper fit) by multiplying it by pi. For example, if the hat is a 7-1/4, multiply 7.25 * 3.14.

22.765" is the circumference.

Similarly, if you know the circumference of your head in inches, divide that value by pi.
I'm a block head, mine is squared. Math bad, hat good...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112