Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tell a story about your first leather jacket...

Steve S.

One of the Regulars
I grew up in a town that was a large Navy air base during the war & thru the 60's. My first was a G-1 my Aunt picked up at a yard sale for $2 around 1981. It was too small, so never could wear it & it hung in the closet. In the early 90's I decided I wanted a leather jacket, so started searching the malls/stores (pre computer days) I looked forever & never found what I wanted. Had a friend give me one & wore it some, but still wasn't what I wanted. It was one of those "mall A-2" style jackets with elastic sewn in instead of knits. The hide was some sort of processed mess that felt almost like seude on the surface.

Fast forward to 2000 when I finally gave in & bought a computer. I found Ebay & started buying vintage leather jackets (I figured out quickly that those were what I was searching for a decade before). That led to the purchase of an industrial sewing machine to do simple repairs that led up to doing restoration work. Following the natural order of progression I thought I would try my hand at making a jacket around 2006 & made my first B-3 shearling. It turned out well, so kept at it until I am where I'm at today. Sure is funny how life sends you down paths you would never expect to travel!

The first B-3:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So my first leather jacket was a purchase I made on my own in the winter of 1990, during my first year of college. I had been kept from buying one earlier than that, my mother knew that I would still be growing into college. IT was a JC Penny black leather bomber jacket that was of course a size XL, way too big and had perhaps 38 pieces of low-grade leather stitched together making up the jacket (not a "pieced" jacket, all straight, long strips.) I was happy with it, until...

About a year later a buddy in college lent me his Excelled brand traditional style motorcycle jacket for a few months. It was well broken in, with some neat customization he did while in the military. Plus it fit correctly and the arms were of the right length for me. Soon after returning his jacket I found a similar one in a second-hand shop and sold the JC Penny special. I've owned too many to count since then, but have recently "thinned the heard" through the wonders of ebay. Great thread & topic idea...

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I'm new at this, I admit. I got my first leather jacket about 15 months ago, a US Authentic A-2. Now, I know that's an entry level jacket- but it has broken in really well and serves its purpose as a companion to my Art Fawcett made fedora - for a Howard Hughes look- quite nicely. Here's me in both at the controls of the H-1 ("Spruce Goose") Flying Boat:
1.png

Latest acquisition is an Aero ANJ-4. Got it just before the end of November and I'm still geeking out over it! It's actually made cold Chicago winters fun.

16.png

I want to acquire another leather jacket in the future- perhaps a higher end A-2 with appropriate nose art typical for a flyer of the period. We'll see. There is certainly no hurry and I am enjoying this new pastime immensely.

TPD166

One Too Many
I always wanted a leather jacket when I was kid, but never got one. Once I started working after high school, I got two - a brown "Member's Only" style jacket and a leather blazer - both from fine establishments in the Mall (hey, it was the early '80s). My first "good" leather jacket was my police motorcycle jacket from Taylor's about 1985, followed by a pair a Navy-issue G-1s I bought from a Tampa surplus store (one for me and one for a girlfriend) - I thought it was a great "deal" on the pair and assumed they would soften up - I was wrong on both counts.

Since then I have had (and still have) several other police jackets, a few decent A-2s, some (finally) good G-1s, a couple of ANJ-3s, and I am waiting on a A-1 to arrive this week. It was a rocky start, but 35+ years later it has worked out pretty well.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I think my first leather jacket was a brown suede bomber my parents bought for me when I was 10 or 11. I do not know what happened to it probably passed along to another kid.
My (really mine) leather jacket was a perfecto style black cowhide jacket that I bought I think 20 years ago in the only store I knew that sold perfecto style leather jackets.
Since I was living yet on my parents house, I didn't wanted for them to know I had it so I hided it but the leather smell... so it was discovered very fast.
I wore it everyday for 2 or 3 years, summer, winter, where I was that jacket was there.
Then the internet appeared and I discovered Yahoo Auctions (remember them?). Found a cheap perfecto style (again) with a nice liner (by the time) in the US and bought it. It was a Open Road but the removable liner was missing.
Again everyday, summer, winter for some years I wore it until the liner started to rip due to sweat burning the cloth.
After this one I bought several... all perfecto style, a red one, a brown one, another black... those were cheap and I could not resist but the Open Road was the one I liked more.
Still have them, the first one started to rip the leather near the zipper.
The "first" Open Road still needs a new liner but it was cheaper to get another one like new from the bay so I got 2 more with the removable liner.
Only 3 years ago I decided to have a real Schott NYC Perfecto so I got a black 618, a brown 125 and a black 918 but the Open Road is still the one that gets out more.

Amir

New in Town
well its new years eve and I am feeling somewhat nostalgic (and old)...

I will go first - it was December in 1981 and i went into the Walter Dyer shop on Route 9 in Framingham MA ( the building still stands as of today).

Wow. Thanks for a fond trip down memory lane.

I was some years ahead of you in obtaining my first leather from Walter Dyer (which makes me ancient!) - but I recall going to a shop of his - either in Harvard Square or Charles Street in Boston...

At the time, circa 1974, my high school buddies rode motorcycles (750 Hondas; 900 Kawasakis), and to join the crew, I bought what I now know to be a Cafe Racer jacket. They wore black, and showed absolutely no mercy when I emerged from the store in a Cordovan leather!

From what I recall, it was around $99, and made of cowhide. The front and arm brass zippers were extremely robust. I wore it (out), until I finally retired it more than 20-years later.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I'm new at this, I admit. I got my first leather jacket about 15 months ago, a US Authentic A-2. Now, I know that's an entry level jacket- but it has broken in really well and serves its purpose as a companion to my Art Fawcett made fedora - for a Howard Hughes look- quite nicely. Here's me in both at the controls of the H-1 ("Spruce Goose") Flying Boat:
View attachment 41524

I know I have quoted this a couple of times but with this pic it deserves a repeat.
Some time in the early 1980s I went to a fancy dress event as Indiana Jones, with hat, A2, and bullwhip I sort of looked the part. As this was a vintage event here in the UK everyone asked me who I was supposed to be and I said "Indiana Jones from Raiders of a lost cause" but they all thought I should be Howard Hughes. A couple of years later I went to a similar event but left the whip at home so went as Howard Hughes from his Spruce Goose days. All everyone said then was "Where's your whip Indy?" Sometimes you just can't win.
Despite all his weirdness, in his prime I thought Howard Hughes was one of the coolest dressers of the period. But thats just me ;)

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I know I have quoted this a couple of times but with this pic it deserves a repeat.
Some time in the early 1980s I went to a fancy dress event as Indiana Jones, with hat, A2, and bullwhip I sort of looked the part. As this was a vintage event here in the UK everyone asked me who I was supposed to be and I said "Indiana Jones from Raiders of a lost cause" but they all thought I should be Howard Hughes. A couple of years later I went to a similar event but left the whip at home so went as Howard Hughes from his Spruce Goose days. All everyone said then was "Where's your whip Indy?" Sometimes you just can't win.
Despite all his weirdness, in his prime I thought Howard Hughes was one of the coolest dressers of the period. But thats just me ;)

I get "Indy" all the time: I've taken to carrying a small printed info card that lists the differences in the hats and jackets, and what I have discovered is that some people can be educated. (Others...meh. ) And while I'm delivering the lesson, dear wife usually eye-rolls with a, "You had to ask..."

But you're right: Hughes was a natty dresser, and he was an aviation industry visionary... with serious mental illness issues, of course.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
My introduction to leather jackets started at a very young age, I grew surrounded by vintage clothes, and was mainly dressed in vintage clothes (something as a slightly older child i didn't always appreciate).'The Thrift Shop' in Battersea was my play ground (we lived above the shop) where I would play and hide in amongst all the rails and rails of jackets, jeans and Hawaiian shirts. Lots of fond memories visiting the Rag Yard that was underneath the rail way arches at Clapham junction and when my Dad was busy sifting through all the bails of clothes, I would be climbing all over them using them often being chased by Max the owners Doberman.

My first leather jacket was a late 1940's 'bomber' jacket. I was 5 at the time and this was the first of many many jackets. My Dad had it painted by a local artist Paul Stagg, 44th Bombardment squadron patch on front and a Flying Fortress ( my favourite plane as a child) "That's all folks" on the back. We still have the jacket and it is on display in our showroom in amongst some of our archive pieces. I dug it out today for some pics. The jacket is lined in alpaca, although the alpaca has certainly seen better days, original knits and it has had a zip replacement at sometime.
IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0409.jpg
IMG_0411.JPG

Next to one of its big brothers for comparison.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Another jacket although not my first only a year or so later, I think I was 7 and going to a fancy dress party like a little Sid Vicious. ( Photo in the Thrift Shop )
IMG_0390.JPG

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
I thought I would try my hand at making a jacket around 2006 & made my first B-3 shearling. It turned out well, so kept at it until I am where I'm at today. Sure is funny how life sends you down paths you would never expect to travel!

That jacket rocks... you made that? I'm totally impressed!!!

~shoes~

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
My introduction to leather jackets started at a very young age, I grew surrounded by vintage clothes, and was mainly dressed in vintage clothes (something as a slightly older child i didn't always appreciate).'The Thrift Shop' in Battersea was my play ground (we lived above the shop) where I would play and hide in amongst all the rails and rails of jackets, jeans and Hawaiian shirts. Lots of fond memories visiting the Rag Yard that was underneath the rail way arches at Clapham junction and when my Dad was busy sifting through all the bails of clothes, I would be climbing all over them using them often being chased by Max the owners Doberman.

My first leather jacket was a late 1940's 'bomber' jacket. I was 5 at the time and this was the first of many many jackets. My Dad had it painted by a local artist Paul Stagg, 44th Bombardment squadron patch on front and a Flying Fortress ( my favourite plane as a child) "That's all folks" on the back. We still have the jacket and it is on display in our showroom in amongst some of our archive pieces. I dug it out today for some pics. The jacket is lined in alpaca, although the alpaca has certainly seen better days, original knits and it has had a zip replacement at sometime.
Next to one of its big brothers for comparison.
View attachment 41673

Another jacket although not my first only a year or so later, I think I was 7 and going to a fancy dress party like a little Sid Vicious. ( Photo in the Thrift Shop )
View attachment 41672

Brilliant memoir, thanks for posting it and a great couple of pics of your jackets.
Did Ken not let you have the WWII original A2 lined with a ladies fur jacket turned inside out? At £35 it had to be the "Cheapest original" (Thats quoting Lydia by the way :) ) A2 in the world, but it was also the smallest.
My Battersea Contract A2 was supposed to be painted up by Paul but he was not available when my jacket was finished. Unfortunately I enjoyed wearing it so much I never did get around to returning it for paint.
J Tee

Hey, I recognize that place! Nice post. Of all people, this is the poster child for leather jackets LOL - unless of course someone can dig up Marlon. ;)

HPA Rep

Vendor
My first leather jacket was a well-used Rough Wear 1401-P size 40 with just the leather squares left on the epaulets where the issue-style, foil-on-leather capt. rank had been. There were no cuffs, a broken Crown zipper, stitching where an issue-style name tag had been, and some substantive holes in the waistband at the front near the zipper. The A-2 looked extremely close to a another well-worn example featured in Camel cigarette ads with a floatplane pilot; my jacket and the ad jacket had sleeves turned almost to suede. My A-2 was purchased from the veteran, C. J. Frese, for $5.00; he had responded to my ad looking for A-2's in "The Shotgun News," which was my primary source for locating militaria back in the good old days. My mom's cousin's wife put new cuffs on it for me and a zipper, mended the waistband, and then I began wearing it as much as possible; I was the only one wearing an A-2 in my junior high school (now known as middle school).

Other A-2's soon followed, all costing more than $5.00, but also in much better shape. And then I got my Werber 42-12693 B-3, also from the veteran, which was a depot-redye w/ full-color AAF decal on the sleeve. It was a great era to be collecting militaria due to price, availability, and in instances where buying from the veteran, I got an interview with the man who wore the item.

heron163

One of the Regulars
that is a great story Charles...

I wish I had money back then to buy some of the stuff that was so cheap and available. Not just jackets...

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Early 70's, living in Germany and finally got a real motorcycle.
Of course, I had to have a leather jacket. Actually, I got hooked as a kid when my dad bought a leather jacket that we all used racing the go kart...loved the smell of the leather as an 11 year old....got started early.
Anyway, I shopped it hard, had to have just the right one dontcha know. A cool diagonal zipper jacket with a built in kidney belt thing.....
Scanned Image 111840000.jpeg

HPA Rep

Vendor
This the ad? Use to love Camel plains.

That's the ad! Great to see it again. As I recall, there were several versions that appeared in magazines and billboards, and maybe even a TV commercial.

Avirex ended up making an A-2 for Camel that looked like this, albeit lighter in color and even more distressed, which you could buy by sending in some number of box tops and whatever the purchase price was. The A-2 was really nothing more than an Avirex distressed A-2 they already produced but with Camel branding on one of the pockets or pocket flaps. As A-2's back then went, it was externally more authentic in fit, overall appearance, and features than later Avirex efforts, but the lining was rayon acetate or other similar fabric.

Thanks for posting the ad!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana