Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Extra, Read all about it."
f0s11c.png

oiyf6t.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A lot of war-surplus searchlights turned up on the back of flatbed trailers in the postwar era as gimmicks for promoting all-night sales at used-car lots, supermarket openings, and other marketing events. We had a guy around here who was still using one as recently as the '90s.

When I was little we had seven gas stations in my home town, with a population of less than 2000 people. The gas wars were brutal, and lifelong friendships were destroyed for the sake of a few pennies. It was the worst kind of cut-throat business, and devil take the hindmost.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
20 miles north of me in Moriarty, NM there is a fireworks stand in a big revival-style tent. Near the 4th of July and new year's they have a sale and have 3 or 4 searchlights sweeping the sky at night. I can see them from my backyard at this distance.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Well, gosh all fishhooks, I don't think anything them things are gone. They aren't, are they? Maybe I ought to get out more.

Maybe a few things are gone and a few other things are close to it. But that was true when I was knee-high (not to be confused with Nehi). I already mentioned somewhere or other how the passenger trains no longer stopped in my hometown of about 8,000 people, although the station was still there. In fact, none of the trains stopped there. Eventually the station was demolished, only to be rebuilt maybe 30 years later as a railroad museum.

One thing that is gone, probably never to return is "locally owned." But you always had to watch out for them out-of-state drivers.

I turned on Turner Classic Movies yesterday morning and caught two-thirds of the very enjoyable pre-code "Design for Living" (basically, an argument in favor of a long-term threesome relationship with two men and one women - pre-codes where definitely ahead of their times) and the terms "masher" and "nertz" were used. I think we've discussed both terms in this thread before, but it was neat to see them both pop up in one movie.

Also, one of the best things about TCM is the surprise of turning it on and, more often than not, being able to enjoy what is playing right then and there.

...One thing that is gone, probably never to return is "locally owned." But you always had to watch out for them out-of-state drivers.
"Locally owned" is still quite popular in the coastal towns associated with cruise-line tourism, and I'll tell you why. Both Royal Caribbean and Princess Cruises (and probably every other cruise line) are very good about handing out pamphlets when you disembark which let you know which businesses they "recommend" you visit while you're off of the ship. What they don't tell you is that they recommend those businesses because they get a percentage of the tourism profits. So when you see a store or restaurant with a sign that says "Locally owned" (or something to that effect) it means they're not associated with any cruise lines and that they keep whatever profits they make, which is far better for their local economy.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Locally owned is still big in commercials here! But, it is funny to hear, Locally Owned since 1995, like that is such a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points