Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A hissy fit is a mild tantrum. Usually just a verbal whine about not getting your way. A conniption fit is a much hight level of outburst, typically accompanied by physical violence. And you don't "have" fits, you "pitch" them.
Right, I get the gist of it now. Previously I thought it was something akin to The Brit expression: "To throw a wobbly, or as some say, a wobbler." It speaks for itself really, although there was a classic moment during the Iraq invasion of Kuwait when Margaret Thatcher, misquoted the phrase, whilst speaking to George Bush Snr, on the phone, following that invasion.

A UN Security Council Resolution giving the necessary authority (UNSCR 665) was successfully secured on the morning of Saturday 25 August. It was on the following day that Margaret Thatcher - in phone conversation with George Bush - offered her famous advice to the President: "This is no time to go wobbly, George". The President loved the phrase, according to Scowcroft, and the White House staff found a lot of use for it during the crisis.

Right, I get the gist of it now. Previously I thought it was something akin to The Brit expression: "To throw a wobbly, or as some say, a wobbler." It speaks for itself really, although there was a classic moment during the Iraq invasion of Kuwait when Margaret Thatcher, misquoted the phrase, whilst speaking to George Bush Snr, on the phone, following that invasion.

A UN Security Council Resolution giving the necessary authority (UNSCR 665) was successfully secured on the morning of Saturday 25 August. It was on the following day that Margaret Thatcher - in phone conversation with George Bush - offered her famous advice to the President: "This is no time to go wobbly, George". The President loved the phrase, according to Scowcroft, and the White House staff found a lot of use for it during the crisis.

One of Maggie's great moments showing all gender stereotypes are just that - stereotypes - Maggie had true grit and used it to buck up George Sr. And, yes, an absolutely wonderful expression.

Last edited:

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
Although we have an almost constant stream of people in the neighborhood knocking on our door, wanting to know if we want any trees taken down, or to buy firewood (far wood) or to have windows or roofs replaced. But we never have peddlers selling farm produce off the back of their truck. We did when I was little. There are so-called farmer's markets around here, even including Amish farmer's markets. I was about to say there were no farmer's markets where I grew up but someone had a large truck constantly parked in the corner of the parking lot of the A&P, of all places, selling produce. Even then I thought it was strange.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I haven't seen Nehi here since the '80s. It was originally owned by the same company as Royal Crown Cola, and I only see that very occasionally.

Fruit-flavored soda in general seems to be a fading thing. Orange Crush used to be hugely popular, and most local bottlers offered a full line of fruit-flavored drinks, but they get far less emphasis now compared to high-caffeine "citrus" sodas like Mountain Dew, etc. You might find a desultory store-brand line of fruit sodas on the bottom shelf at the grocery store, but they're not everywhere like they used to be.

I haven't seen Nehi here since the '80s. It was originally owned by the same company as Royal Crown Cola, and I only see that very occasionally.

Fruit-flavored soda in general seems to be a fading thing. Orange Crush used to be hugely popular, and most local bottlers offered a full line of fruit-flavored drinks, but they get far less emphasis now compared to high-caffeine "citrus" sodas like Mountain Dew, etc. You might find a desultory store-brand line of fruit sodas on the bottom shelf at the grocery store, but they're not everywhere like they used to be.

All soda - overall, some brands are still growing, but as a category - seems to be in decline as the Millennials are more into Red Bull or flavored waters / seltzers but not soda.

My family is a perfect example: my Dad loved fruit sodas - he used to drink Hoffman's cherry soda (does that brand even exist anymore, I haven't seen it in decades) - I'm a Coke fan (can take or leave fruit sodas) and I have cousins in their twenties who are into Red Bull and flavored waters / seltzers.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought RC cherry cola this past Tuesday. The local Grocer has a whole line of glass bottle sodas with the name Jarritos. They are a Mexican soda that is popular in Chicago. The local grocer also carries quite a few popular brands of soda in glass bottles: Dr. Pepper, Coca~Cola, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, as well as Mexican Coke, Pepsi, Sprite & Fanta orange.

EngProf

Practically Family
Nehi Orange and Grape were once really big here in the mid-South (as was RC). I haven't seen any in a long time and don't know if they still make it.
It was Southern enough that I'm convinced that John Sebastian used it as a pun in the lyrics to the song "Nashville Cats".

Yeah, I was just thirteen, you might say I was a
Musical proverbial knee-high
When I heard a couple new-sounding tunes on the tubes
And they blasted me sky-high

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

We still have Orange Crush. ;) Although, it's not the same as in the 70s!
c91357720522b7fb1c33541cd75f1ddc_zpsw2nuizi3.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We still have it here, too, but I'm the only person I've ever seen to buy it.

We used to sell Orange Crush in the Coke machine at our gas station -- it was the only national brand carried by a small local bottler, which filled out the rest of its line with its own brand of fruit drinks, root beer, ginger ale, and cream soda. All we got from Coca-Cola was Coke, Sprite, and Tab.

Nowadays when you go to a Coke machine, every brand in it is a Coca-Cola product. The independent small-town bottler doesn't have a chance to compete. Even a brand like Izze, which tries to project the image of being a homey little independent, is actually owned by Pepsi.

...Nowadays when you go to a Coke machine, every brand in it is a Coca-Cola product. The independent small-town bottler doesn't have a chance to compete. Even a brand like Izze, which tries to project the image of being a homey little independent, is actually owned by Pepsi.

I think several of the "small batch" or "local" beer brands are also owned by Pepsi or Coke. I don't pay who's who too much as I don't really care as I go by flavor, not the size of the brewery, and it just breeds more cynicism which I have plenty of already. I also don't spend a lot of time on "locally sourced" as, while I get that it is nice to help the local farmer, if I buy something from 100 miles away, then I'm helping that farmer - he's local to some community. I know there is more to it than that, but at some point, trying to micromanage one's food origins is asking a lot of an individual especially with all the disingenuous marketing involved.

The soda machine in the laundry room in my last apartment house had Fanta which really surprised me as I almost never see it in the stores and can't think of anytime I've ever seen anyone drinking it. It was a Coke owned machined, but even though it is Coke's brand, I was surprised they'd give it precious "self space" in the vending machine as, several times, it was the only sleeve not sold out

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The local bottler we dealt with in the old days, Butterfield Bottling Co. of Old Town, was a real mom-and-pop operation. I mean that quite literally -- the owner of the company was the guy who drove the route truck, took your order, and, with his son, ran the bottling plant, while Mom handled the bookkeeping, supply procurement and inventory management. You knew them all personally, not as faceless choices on a computerized switchboard. They did a good business right up thru the end of the 1970s operating this way, and their "S. & O'K" brand sodas were found in stores, gas stations, and hot dog stands all over Eastern and coastal Maine. But the corporatization of the soft drink industry that occured around the end of the seventies and the start of the eighties, with Coke and Pepsi opening giant regional company-owned bottlers with whole portfolios of brands, pushed companies like that right out of business.

Butterfield was hurt badly when Pepsi got control of the Orange Crush franchise for Maine -- it was Butterfield's biggest seller, and they couldn't make up the slack with their own drinks, so that was the end of that. Somebody tried to revive them as a "boutique" brand in the '90s, but they were frozen out of supermarkets and vending machines by the Big Two, and they couldn't sell enough thru country stores and gas stations to make it work.

Haversack

One Too Many
San Francisco still operates and maintains its system of street side fire alarm and police telephone boxes. Its pretty much 19th century electro-mechanical technology that is very robust. As my cousin, formerly a submariner, once told me, 'Redundancy is a virtue'. The Chron ran a story about the system a few years ago.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Fruit-flavored drinks are making a comeback because of the growing Latino population. Mexicans are really into fruit. I've had some of the best fruit drinks, ice cream and popsicles ever on visits to Mexico. Once on a very hot day I bought a strawberry popsicle from a street vendor. Halfway into it I was horrified to notice that it was full of black specks. I feared the worst until I realized that they wee strawberry seeds. That popsicle was made with real strawberries, not some lab-created artificial flavoring. That stuff is illegal in Mexico. I have friends who will only drink Mexican Coke, because it's still made with cane sugar, no high-fructose corn syrup, which is also illegal in Mexico.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points