Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Someone will say something to me, and I'll reply with, "What?" They repeat what they said, and I'll reply with, "You just said that. Do you know you're repeating yourself?" Sometimes that gets them so confused that they forget what they were trying to tell me.
12645e8.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Kids have sex in middle school today, so the fission of skinny dipping in high school probably has faded and taken the term with it.

Good ones and, you're right, seem to be fading (fast).

I usually play tennis at the local high school.
Mostly after school the courts are available & I teach
tennis part-time.
Always amazes me how casual the ladies "dress" to attend school today.

Last edited:
I usually play tennis at the local high school.
Mostly after school the courts are available & I teach
tennis part-time.
Always amazes me how casual the ladies "dress" to attend school today.

We are conducting a giant social experiment that I doubt everyone knows we signed up for.

For almost ever and almost everywhere (there are some notable exceptions), casual sex was discouraged especially amongst teenagers with "good" girls taught to "protect" their virginity while "good" boys were taught to respect that. Now we're told gender difference are all socially imposed and lead to sexism at the same time we promoted individual expression, including sexuality, as a freedom to be unburdened.

Hence, we have middle school kids and up loose in the world with none or few of the old guardrails, guidelines, social constraints and moral clarity of the time that used to try to control the sexual activities of the young. Without that, the experiment is on. We'll see what it brings.

p51

One Too Many
Leaping Lizards!
That's a phrase I've heard on movies and read but nobody I ever heard actually say it (except to be funny). Maybe it's one of those made-up phrases you don't have to worry about offending anyone with?

skydog757

A-List Customer
Leaping Lizards!
That's a phrase I've heard on movies and read but nobody I ever heard actually say it (except to be funny). Maybe it's one of those made-up phrases you don't have to worry about offending anyone with?

My friends wore out "Zoiks!" and "Jinkies!" from Scooby Doo (in an ironic way, of course) when we were kids. Now I use the "You meddling kids!" with my co-workers.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Leaping Lizards!

Made famous in the comic pages in the mid-twenties by Little Orphan Annie, but it really caught on in the early thirties when it was every other line out of her mouth on the "Little Orphan Annie" radio program.

"Yi!" is another exclamation made popular in that comic strip, as usually spoken by some villianous character just before Punjab sliced his head off with a scimitar.

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I heard the expression "horse feathers" when I was little, as well as others. The term refers to the "feathers" on the legs of some draft horses but the use of the term probably became popular because there was a Marx Brothers movie by that name. I don't recall hearing anyone use the term "puss" but "sour" showed up in at least one Western Swing song from Bob Wills, something like, "We travel round the country playing by hour, never do look sour."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk