Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
The Franciscans at St Peter's 110 W Madison offer an impressive Christmas Eve choir recital prelude to midnight Mass.
I always try to visit St Peter's Christmas Eve.:)
Ever attend the Catholic Lawyers Guild Red Mass at Holy Name Cathedral?

I can remember being taken to St. Peter's by my mom & grandmother as a kid. Never did the Red Mass at Holy Name, but I used to sing at Old St. Mary's (9th & Wabash) when I was a boy chorister.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
4602_1018958504.jpg

"Leopold!!"

upload_2017-12-19_18-36-26.png

BlueTrain

Call Me a Cab
I mentioned the term "long hair music" because we saw a concert of the Vienna Boys Choir last Sunday. The conductor had longish hair and was very animated, sometimes hilariously so. For one of the numbers, a piece from "Sister Act," the boys were also very animated. The rest of the time they were merely fidgety.

vallettavalentine

New in Town
I don't know anyone who has "an intellectual aversion to Christmas." A visceral one, maybe. And I can kinda understand that. It gets to be like a dinner of marshmallows (seconds, anyone?) followed by cotton candy for dessert.

Me, I dig the tarted up commercial districts. And it's exciting for kids. Some of them, anyway.
For me, as a Jew, it becomes a time when some are just outright hostile to my husband and I because we say "Happy Holidays." A lack of respect and a lack of inclusion can be extremely depressing during this time of year. Some people have made us feel as though we're not quite fully American for not celebrating Christmas--as though it's a cultural requirement. This would be the origin of my visceral aversion to the holiday.

3fingers

One Too Many
For me, as a Jew, it becomes a time when some are just outright hostile to my husband and I because we say "Happy Holidays." A lack of respect and a lack of inclusion can be extremely depressing during this time of year. Some people have made us feel as though we're not quite fully American for not celebrating Christmas--as though it's a cultural requirement. This would be the origin of my visceral aversion to the holiday.
This brings to mind a question I have always had. Is it acceptable for a non Jewish person to wish you a Happy Hanukkah? I have not been well acquainted with very many Jewish people, as there simply are not many in this area. The one I knew best wished me a Merry Christmas and I wished him a Happy Hanukkah, but I'm not sure how observant he was. I am just curious if this is widely done.

vallettavalentine

New in Town
This brings to mind a question I have always had. Is it acceptable for a non Jewish person to wish you a Happy Hanukkah? I have not been well acquainted with very many Jewish people, as there simply are not many in this area. The one I knew best wished me a Merry Christmas and I wished him a Happy Hanukkah, but I'm not sure how observant he was. I am just curious if this is widely done.
Certainly!! It's a nice gesture. Our non-Jewish friends do that all the time, nothing at all unacceptable.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Or a jehu? I believe that jehu was usually used for crazy drivers.

Jehu was an ancient Israelite king whose adventures are related in 2 Kings -- he drove his chariot furiously into the city of Jezreel, where he was confronted by Jezebel, mother of the deposed King Jehoram. Jehu caused Jezebel to be thrown off her balcony into the street so that he could run over her with his chariot. Jezebel, for her trouble, also became a proverbial figure with her name used to refer to a brash, sexually-forward woman.

Jehu was the son of Jehosaphat, who, despite the saying, is not noted anywhere in the Bible for his skill at jumping.

ChrisB

A-List Customer
and...what would be the meaning of that..that... lets call it .....hmmm....

that deep phrase

shall we laugh shall we cry what is the meaning

thank you

“Obliquity of the Ecliptic” is an astronomical term for the tilt of the Earths axis, which causes us to have the 4 seasons.

And while I’m at it, Merry Christmas ( or for those who prefer it, a Happy Holiday) to you and all my FL friends!

Last edited:
This is the main reason I prefer "Happy Holidays". It's simply more inclusive regardless of one's beliefs, or lack of, and for me has nothing to do with being anti-Christianity.

That being said, I've known more than a few Christians who were raised (regardless of their denomination) with such strict adherence to the Christian dogma that they were almost completely unable to allow the concept of beliefs that didn't align with their own. It's a little difficult for me to describe--they were consciously aware that other religions exist, but they were so ingrained in their own beliefs that they couldn't be open-minded to the possibility that other religions might have something positive to offer as well and were often dismissive of those religions. They were taught what they were taught, accepted it as 100% truth, and that was that. There was no room in their minds for other considerations, so saying anything other than "Merry Christmas" at this time of year was impious to them. Mind you, this was a small percentage of the Christians I've known in my life, but they were one of the reasons I distanced myself from Christianity as I grew older; I have little to no patience for arrogance.

vallettavalentine

New in Town
This is the main reason I prefer "Happy Holidays". It's simply more inclusive regardless of one's beliefs, or lack of, and for me has nothing to do with being anti-Christianity.

That being said, I've known more than a few Christians who were raised (regardless of their denomination) with such strict adherence to the Christian dogma that they were almost completely unable to allow the concept of beliefs that didn't align with their own. It's a little difficult for me to describe--they were consciously aware that other religions exist, but they were so ingrained in their own beliefs that they couldn't be open-minded to the possibility that other religions might have something positive to offer as well and were often dismissive of those religions. They were taught what they were taught, accepted it as 100% truth, and that was that. There was no room in their minds for other considerations, so saying anything other than "Merry Christmas" at this time of year was impious to them. Mind you, this was a small percentage of the Christians I've known in my life, but they were one of the reasons I distanced myself from Christianity as I grew older; I have little to no patience for arrogance.
They forget that Jesus was one of us. That's the most striking thing I noticed about that particular mindset. You can't logically honour your religious leader without showing respect for his heritage.

3fingers

One Too Many
I often wonder what these hard-core types would do if they actually met the physical, historical Jesus in person: who by all possible anthropological permutations was certainly not tall, flaxen-haired, blue-eyed, or built like Jeffrey Hunter.
I recall a movie I've seen part of that was produced by Johnny Cash I believe, that had a blonde, blue eyed Jesus. Ridiculous.

I often wonder what these hard-core types would do if they actually met the physical, historical Jesus in person: who by all possible anthropological permutations was certainly not tall, flaxen-haired, blue-eyed, or built like Jeffrey Hunter.
What, you don't think there were any Caucasian surfer hippies living in northern Israel 2,000 years ago? :D

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab

Heck, I love to say "Happy Holidays" simply because it ruffles the feathers of so many wannabe theocrats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112