Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

Upgrade

One of the Regulars
Didn’t sliced bread used to come wrapped in wax paper instead of clear plastic?

Oddly enough, I went to a Salvation Army that was trying to sell an entire roll of NOS vintage Wonder Bread wrapping paper.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Wax paper bread wrappers continued into the early sixties depending on the bakery, by which time polyethylene bags took over -- they were cheaper, and it was easier to automate the wrapping using them. The ends of a wax-paper loaf were often sealed with octagonal gummed labels, which might be printed with some sort of collectable image: a baseball player, a comic-book character, a cowboy star who endorsed the bread, or some such thing as that, or perhaps a recipe.

Note in the illustration of the "Wonder Cut" loaf above that a cardboard tray is used inside the wrapper to keep the slices in place. That went away during the war.

3fingers

One Too Many
Didn’t sliced bread used to come wrapped in wax paper instead of clear plastic?

Oddly enough, I went to a Salvation Army that was trying to sell an entire roll of NOS vintage Wonder Bread wrapping paper.
I watched several people fight over Wonder Bread display pieces at an auction. One of the things they sold was something wrapped in that paper to look like a loaf of bread.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
When I was seven I found a copy of the 25th anniversary collection of New Yorker cartoons. I loved that book. It informed my reading for years. I was particularly fond of Richard Taylor's stuff : "A revised statuary for the City of Tomorrow", "Our Modern Gallery of Ancient Favorites", "Oh, THAT'S Herbert's Muse", and "Practically all my calls come from the "National Geographic" all still make me smile.
And another, probably my absolute favorite, which is not considered appropriate for inclusion on the website maintained by Condé Nast:

IMG_20180109_2180.jpg

Last edited:
...The ends of a wax-paper loaf were often sealed with octagonal gummed labels, which might be printed with some sort of collectable image: a baseball player, a comic-book character, a cowboy star who endorsed the bread, or some such thing as that, or perhaps a recipe...

That is a neat little feature, historic curio. I'll be searching this thing called the internet today to find a picture of one, unless Lizziepedia has one handy?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
5df21c80a18827ad2be38d8bba89be72.jpg

Eat Bread, or Johnny Sain will come to your house and punch you in the face.

This particular series was issued starting in 1950 for use by independent regional bakeries, hence no brand name appears. They were very popular, with hundreds of subjects, and baseball, basketball, hockey, and pro football players appear in the set over several years.

⇧ and Lizziepedia saves me hours of web searching. Thank you Lizzie. And as you imply, that's kinda a sneer on his face.

Once in awhile, a sandwich place in NYC will still give you your to-go sammy in a wax bag (like the one we had as kids to take our sandwiches to school if - as was the case in our house - you didn't pay up for the new and fancy ziplock bags).

Just Jim

A-List Customer
Ah yes, equine effluent. We hear about it a lot around here, as there are a lot of folks into horses. Occasionally from some of the older folks, you hear "I've had about enough of this happy horse sh*t". Growing up about 100 miles west of here, I never heard the saying.

Ah yes, equine effluent. We hear about it a lot around here, as there are a lot of folks into horses...
There are quite a few people who are "equine enthusiasts" in and around our neighborhood as well; a surprisingly large number considering we're in a suburb that's only about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. When I was growing up here there was a woman on our street who had stables and a training ring on her property. She babysat me on occasion, so I was maybe 4 or 5 years old (as best I can recall) the first time I rode...well, "rode" is an overstatement; "sat on" a horse would be more accurate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ