Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

How about something being "on the fritz" as in broken or not working.

I use it myself. That, and "on the blink." The first is onomatopoeic, perhaps, and the latter is maybe a reference to the visual. Pure speculation on my part, bit "fritz" might be an approprimation of the sound made by an electrical gizmo just as it ceases functioning, and "blink" is what the lights on an electrical appliance might do when it isn't working quite as it should.

"Call me. I'm in the book."

A variation I used to use whenever a person threatened legal action was "Sue me, I'm in the book."

These days people -- the younger ones, anyway -- might not know what "book" is being referenced. Last time I saw what amounted to a poor excuse for a phone book is when I picked one up off the front stoop and deposited it in the recycling bin. It appears that most businesses have little use for the Yellow Pages anymore.

One mantra of mine, going back a decade or two, was never to hire a lawyer or a plumber who buys the back cover of the phone book.

skydog757

A-List Customer
A variation I used to use whenever a person threatened legal action was "Sue me, I'm in the book."

One mantra of mine, going back a decade or two, was never to hire a lawyer or a plumber who buys the back cover of the phone book.

Don't you miss the days when lawyers couldn't advertise? It seems like half of the commercials on tv now are for ambulance chasers.

Don't you miss the days when lawyers couldn't advertise? It seems like half of the commercials on tv now are for ambulance chasers.

Was there a law against lawyers advertising or was it just a business norm that lawyers respected?

Those that do advertise - in NYC it seems it's all tort / litigation lawyers either trying to get people to join class actions suits or trying to chase the ambulance of someone "injured in an accident -" do not reflect well on the industry. My girlfriend and I joke how we wouldn't trust most of these guys with fifty cents let alone handling a lawsuit as most of them seem, I'm just going to say it, outright scummy. To be fair to lawyers, I know that those who advertise do not reflect the industry writ large.

Something else going away - at least in NYC - is the one or two doctors, doctor's practice. They've almost all either become part of a hospital or have grouped together into very large practices - with many doctors - that act more as a private clinic offering many medical services than the old one or two man practice.

3fingers

One Too Many
We are all subject to greed and suggestion on some level I suppose, but the majority of the television scum shysters should be found guilty of taking advantage of the mentally deficient. Anybody of average intelligence can easily see what they are and stay away from them, so who is their clientele?

And the other half are for corporate drug pushers.
It's even more "fun" when the corporate drug pushers advertise their latest and greatest miracle cure complete with it's list of potential negative side effects that are usually worse than whatever you're taking it for in the first place, then four or five years later the ambulance chasers are looking for people to join their class-action suit because that miracle cure killed or permanently damaged so many people. "Take Solvitol if you're suffering from..." *fast forward* "If you took Solvitol and died or are nearly dead..." It's all one big money grab and everyone has their hand out, usually preying on the people who can least afford to lose it.

We are all subject to greed and suggestion on some level I suppose, but the majority of the television scum shysters should be found guilty of taking advantage of the mentally deficient. Anybody of average intelligence can easily see what they are and stay away from them, so who is their clientele?
Considering the fees lawyers and law firms charge, if they have to advertise they can't be good at whatever they do.

p51

One Too Many
For a while, I was working a 10:30-7 shift, so I'd get up and have time to watch some TV. I usually watched "Community" on one of the cable channels as it was one of my favorite shows ever.
The one thing I noticed was that all of the commercials were either personal injury lawyers or trade schools.
Frankly, I started thinking maybe I shouldn't be watching this channel if that's their target market, but then again most working stiff aren't at home watching TV past 7 or so in the morning.
I deal with personally injury lawyers at work all the time (I'm in insurance) and I am sick to death of dealing with them. All the stereotypes I knew are accurate for where I handle claims.
You can't even go to many doctors or clinics in Las Vegas if you're hurt in a car accident without being represented. Some won't see you at all in such a case.

JennDarling

New in Town
We still watch an episode every weekend. Some random cable channel broadcasts them.

Hey, there's another word that no longer applies to television, anyway - broadcast. Radio still does, however. But I never hear anyone using the word anymore.

Our local PBS station carries them, along with Keeping Up Appearances and As Time Goes By. They used to broadcast Fawlty Towers and The Vicar of Dibley as well, which are also great shows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112