Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terms Which Have Disappeared

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
The Three Degrees (persuasion, intimidation & pain) were introduced by the New York City Police Department in the 1890s. It was how they interrogated violent criminals.

Darn. So New York is where all that came from? Down here, we still use that method for all our criminals...not just the violent ones. So you uttered a forged check, Ms. Gaskins? Well, young lady, let me introduce you to our new thumb screw...

AF

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Miss Maine's earlier posting reminded me of a couple of Golden Era terms which have sadly fallen into desuetude: "Economic Royalist" and "Malefactors of Great Wealth", though they may be more applicable in. Some cases today than they have been lo these past seventy years.

Along those lines, I still tend to use the term "towmotor" in reference to a forklift. I've gotten some nice confused reactions from youngsters with that one. :D

I once used the term "fire plug" (in reference to a fire hydrant) in front of a good friend who is a former firefighter. Being only a few years younger than I am he recognized the term, but I thought his head was going to explode. lol

Ummm..are they not called towmotors and fire plugs? I still use those terms, as do many, if not most, people I know.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think "fireplug" is a regionalism -- it was always "hydrant" here, but I still hear "plug" from people raised in the midwest or south.

A regionalism that's almost completely died out here is "piazza" for porch. When I was growing up, we'd go out and set (never *sit*) on the piazza and listen to the ball game. If you say that now, though, people think you're talking about sitting on food.

hatguy1

One Too Many
...one would not wish to sound like a broken record.

Similarly, I wonder if kids today understand the concept origin of "sound like a stuck record."

Back in the '90s, there was a local group that did '60s and '70s hits in the pubs. They called themselves "45 R.P.M." My kid asked me what the heck that was all about cause something turning at only 45 rpms wasnt' very impressive. I had to explain 45's, 33 RPMs and 78s and other components in a radio stations "stacks o' wax." Wonder if anyone today under 40 knows that term or what it means?

hatguy1

One Too Many
Flop = place to sleep

flibber = car

The fuzz/flatfoot/gumshoe = cops/detectives

Paddy wagon = police van used to transport multiple arrestees

Just to mention a few.....
clams = dollars

heater/gat = gun

speakeasy = Prohibition Era pub/bar

dames = girls

flapper glad rags = style of womens' dresses for partying (usually accented with boa and feather headband)

gams = legs

Dancin' a jig/the Charleston = something to do with your gams

JonnyO

A-List Customer
I think "fireplug" is a regionalism -- it was always "hydrant" here, but I still hear "plug" from people raised in the midwest or south.
This is very true, although at times many may call it both names. Being a fireman, I have used both terms myself. You'll hear "Hit the plug" or "Grab the hydrant" many times.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
An expression that was popular in the Depression that I don't think was used before or since, was "the little people" or "the little man" meaning ordinary people without wealth or influence.

Nowadays they would think you were talking about midgets. Which come to think of it, you are not supposed to say.

By the way I think Hatguy meant Flivver = Model T Ford and glad rags = any kind of dressy outfit you would wear to a party or social occasion.

Jig and Charleston were both dance steps, a jig is a lively dance to a fast tempo and the Charleston is a dance from the mid twenties. The term jig must date back 200 years.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
An expression that was popular in the Depression that I don't think was used before or since, was "the little people" or "the little man" meaning ordinary people without wealth or influence.
I still hear/use the phrase "When you make it big, don't forget the little people."

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
"The Little People" was generally used ironically (yes, Virginia, Irony did exist in the Golden Era). Usually a not so subtle way of reminding another that they were acting a might grandiose. The phrase received new currency after it was allegedly used without ironic intent by a former Miss Leah Mindy Rosenthal, landing her in a real kettle of hot water.

The evocative term "Forgotten Man" is perhaps a more sympathetic expression of the same ensue timer, and one which has unfortunately utterly disappeared from common usage.

Aha! how about "Kettle of hot water", "Fine Kettle of Fish" or "In the Soup" to denote troublesome situations?

Then there is the evocative "She hasn't (hadn't) enough clothes on to dust a fiddle!". And we are back to that Cyrus Gal.

Now, the Era had many terms for automobile, including "Struggle Buggy", which initially denoted a nice big sedan, in which a struggle might just take place, unless the young lady chose to "Get out and walk" (another obsolete term, they just don't seem to walk like they used to), but later on the term "Struggle Buggy" was applied to a fragile "Jalopy" which could barely struggle along down the road.

Here in the Midwest trains were often referred to as "The Cars", as in "Tomorrow morning I'm going to the city on The Cars".

Last edited:
Fireplug is used plenty here.

Ummm..are they not called towmotors and fire plugs? I still use those terms, as do many, if not most, people I know.

I honestly don't know what else you would call them.

[video=youtube;qBh-m1yTZS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBh-m1yTZS0[/video]

Don't forget automobiles. Chevy owners are like cult-members around here.

That kind of loyalty to a merchant or a brand has largely disappeared everywhere. About the only place I see it anymore is with beer and firearms.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
[video=youtube;qBh-m1yTZS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBh-m1yTZS0[/video]

I'll see your Alan Jackson and raise you Joan Blondell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmHz80Ma4HI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

[video=youtube;[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?dmHz80Ma4HI[/url][/video]

Don't forget automobiles. Chevy owners are like cult-members around here.

Chevrolet! That suggests another no-longer current term: "Axle Breaker"!

Last edited:

Haversack

One Too Many
"A little man"... I am reminded of the use of this term in a short skit written by George Kaufman and shown abridged in the 1942 Paramount studio satire and wartime rally film, Star Spangled Rhythm. "If Men Played Cards As Women".

[video=youtube;sxbqCvnqaaY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxbqCvnqaaY[/video]

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Flop = place to sleep

flibber = car

The fuzz/flatfoot/gumshoe = cops/detectives

'Round here, police-vans are still called Paddywagons or Paddyvans.

Anyone ever heard of the expression to "get the Darbies" on them?

Means to be locked up, arrested, or restrained.

It comes from the old-fashioned Hiatt & Darby D-shaped handcuffs, once commonly used by police around the world.

Hiatt_Best.jpg

Last edited:
Not here in southern California. People old enough to remember the Towmotor Corporation understand what I mean when I say "towmotor", but from younger people I always get blank stares. And I'm the only person I know who actually uses the term "fire plug", probably because it's an inaccurate description of the device and has fallen out of favor ever since the fire hydrant was invented. [huh]

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The first piped-water systems used wooden pipes to transport it through town. When there was an emergency, firefighters drilled through the streets to the water-mains and set up a pump on top. Once the fire was out, they literally PLUGGED the pipe and marked its spot. Hence - Fire Plug. Eventually the old fire-plugs were placed by modern hydrants. But the term 'fireplug' goes back centuries, if my history is correct.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Plug" is also a term used to describe an old, broken-down, sway-backed horse. Hence Barney Google's mount "Spark Plug," and hence the AC Spark Plug "Get Your Plugs Cleaned" advertising campaign showing a goofy-looking cartoon horse in a bathtub.

8878590_1_l.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk