Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thank God for Ralph Lauren

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
My main problem with Ralphie is the egregiously high markup he puts on goods made in third world factories. He's right up there with Phil Knight at Nike.

it bothers me too. i have a bit of a love - hate relationship with RRL products.

Most items can be bought during the season on a 30% off sale, plus and additional 15% off for a regular customer (I don't buy much, but I get the email with the extra 15%, so I think they want everyone to have it, but each one who gets it to feel special) - so, effectively, almost everything from Ralph can be bought at 40% off when the stock is very good. Then, of course, there is the end of season sale where 50% off or more is doable (but selection is down) and, then, finally, weeks to months after the end of season sale, the stuff shows up even cheaper on Ebay. My point is that I agree that the retail price is very expensive, but with a little work, almost anything from Ralph can be bought at a meaningful discount. I'm just glad he does what he does so that I can get his stuff on sale.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
^^^
Sure you can use your tips to reduce the cost (as you can with most other makers) but it doesn't change the fact that he's gouging his customers.I guess that's what you have to do if you want 25 homes, 200 cars, 3 jets, 500 wrist watches, etc..........

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Flo, where are the photos of the Norfolk styled cardigan you mentioned ?
Sorry, I have been photo lazy lately. I also owe Simonds a picture of me wearing his cap. Gotta ask my girlfriend to help me on that. :eek:

And to answer the other question: No I didn't buy it at retail price either. Ebay and inexpensive ist the only way I can afford RL stuff.
I understand the love/hate thing very good. It doesn't bother me so much that he sells the ugly Logo polos. But this:

My main problem with Ralphie is the egregiously high markup he puts on goods made in third world factories. He's right up there with Phil Knight at Nike.

I don't know if his factories are any better than the ones of H&M or Primark. Not so much concerned of making him rich but keeping other people poor.
For paying the full price I would have to be more convinced of his business model and rather support other (smaller) brands.

But buying RL second hand is no different than buying real vintage. Just more selection and better sizes.

Flat Foot Floey

tumblr_mj8xru5aTw1rewoyoo1_1280.jpg

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Nothing says "30's style" better than "chain-embroidered" slacks. :p

Interesting beginnings... although these creations had as much to do with the 30's as the recent "Gatsby suits" have with the 20's.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Yeah, nothing in the illustration looks like it would be straight of the 1930s. I found it interesting how openly he played the influence though. Maybe it was the Bonnie and Clyde movie (Which was already 2 years back)

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
according to Wikipedia : "...He left to establish his own company working out of a drawer in the Empire State Building, taking rags and turning them into ties"

credit where credit is due. not only did he turn rags into ties, but he had a drawer as an office. it's a good job Ralph was a small guy. hard times. ;)

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
... and why is DiCaprio wearing a collar that is way too large for his neck? No one noticed or cared?

Flip a coin.

Boardwalk Empire puts them both to shame and on a much smaller budget I bet.

The clothes, the architecture, the interior decoration - the attention to detail - is insane, eidetic to an extreme in Boardwalk Empire. I am amazed at the beauty, thought and effort that goes into the style of every scene. In addition to the aforementioned, the lighting, the positioning of the the actors and cameras, the capturing of a mood or tone via a setting shot are incredibly well done. To your point about budget, I have no idea how they do it, but no one does it better.

Flat Foot Floey

The BE costumes are not THAT good. Much better than the both Ghastly Gatsbys maybe. But not perfect for early 1920s. The shoulders alone...ah whatevers.

RL today is not perfect either but still better than the 70s does 30s look from the old Gatsby movie. When I look at the picture it seems they were not even trying to get close to 20s. Just some general vintage look... the people can't tell anyway

Flat Foot Floey

My girlfriend set up the lightning to take some pictures for her shop so I took a few snaps of my RL cardigan with norfolk details. Of course the belt and straps are fully attached and not "functional" but I like the look and also the shape of the pockets.

s9n7.jpg

6hw8.jpg

Attachments

• 6hw8.jpg
    6hw8.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

Yes, it was. German ebay even and it went for less than the RL fair isles usually do. Maybe it was too special for the typical RL customer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk