Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That thing you do.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I really enjoy this movie. Actually it's one that I watch often when I'm dying on the treadmill!

Anyway, I haven't seen anything new posted under props, so I thought I would post this. I guess I should have taken the photo before I had it framed, so the glare wouldn't be there.

thatthing.jpg

Imahomer

Practically Family
I watch it when I'm on the treadmill and everytime they start playing one of their songs, I crank up the speed for a few minutes. I can almost recite the lines in the movie, I've seen it so many times!!! LOL

I got the record and sleeve from a prop site. I've always thought it would be a pretty easy prop to create and was very happy to see someone do it. I jumped all over it!:cool2:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
There used to be a dedicated forum for props.

I have exactly two items related to film or TV, both waistcoats made by Andrea Galer for Charles Dance as Mr. Tulkinghorn in Bleak House.

Set in the mid-19th century, a bit too vintage for this site!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
That Thing You Do! is a charming little film, nicely directed by Tom Hanks, with a fun cast, a sure grip on its mid-60s setting, and some interesting little grace notes that you don't notice on first viewing. (Like The Wonders bass player not having a name; he's only listed as "T.B. Player"!) It's a stop-and-drop film for me, a semi-guilty pleasure.

that-thing-you-do-record.jpg

And then there's that killer title song, what an earworm! It was written by the great Adam Schlesinger... who sadly died of the coronavirus last year.

Adam Schlesinger - Wikipedia

Edward

Bartender
Saw it years ago on TV. Not a bad film, and a fairly accurate portrayal of the one-hit wonder experience in the period. The song was a particularly clever pastiche of the various Beatlesalikes that were around at the time. I did wonder in retrospect whether anyone ever thought to do a 7" run of it as a merchandising novelty; perhaps if it had been a decade later..

That Thing You Do! is a charming little film, nicely directed by Tom Hanks, with a fun cast, a sure grip on its mid-60s setting, and some interesting little grace notes that you don't notice on first viewing. (Like The Wonders bass player not having a name; he's only listed as "T.B. Player"!) It's a stop-and-drop film for me, a semi-guilty pleasure.

View attachment 343281

And then there's that killer title song, what an earworm! It was written by the great Adam Schlesinger... who sadly died of the coronavirus last year.

View attachment 343281

The cast included an unknown Charlize Thieron. Also in the movie was Alex Rocco (Moe Green from The Godfather)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
This is too funny - I find and resurrect an old thread about film props, and it becomes a fan forum for a movie!

I have never seen that flick, I should check it out.

You had me at Charlize Theron...

I love the movie’s intro. I know that street so well! I remember seeing that bus when they were filming. Most impressive was the appliance store set with its complete interior. The building is now a toy store.

Fun Fact: The building where the appliance store is has no basement though some of the other buildings on that street do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider