Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Adventurer's Gear Thread

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I saw this sign at show last year and thought is was rather cool, really giving that ethos and sprit of adventure equipment and supplies. I also really did like the canvas rucksacks he was selling too, amongst other things.

The photo does not really do it justice, but I wanted to share it with you all.

. image.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been looking lately at some old photos of the Mallory Expedition to Everest. Almost all the men in that expedition are wearing a type of jacket that resembles a suit coat. Somewhat less "constructed" but cut along the same lines nonetheless. Anyone here have any ideas on this type of jacket? Were they lined heavily? Modern sources for jackets like that?

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I've been looking lately at some old photos of the Mallory Expedition to Everest. Almost all the men in that expedition are wearing a type of jacket that resembles a suit coat. Somewhat less "constructed" but cut along the same lines nonetheless. Anyone here have any ideas on this type of jacket? Were they lined heavily? Modern sources for jackets like that?

What ho Big Man

Check out this site

http://www.mountain-heritage.org/projects/mallory-replica-clothing-2/

I recall Burberry clothing but that may be another explorer I am have in my memory.

Would love a jacket like that and I recall seeing a moder designer make a jacket but it was about a grand.

Good luck

Heathfox

New in Town
Hello,

there is an excellent book on the series of expeditions Mallory was involved in: Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest by Wade Davis. I found this very interesting even though I'm no climber (scared of heights.....). The book also mentions clothing and gear at various points, plus it has lots of images. Climbers and mountaineers of that era would typically wear a varying number of insulating layers (wool and silk) with a windproof layer on top, often a very tightly woven cotton fabric, like the famous "Ventile". Here's an article about that fabric: http://www.greyfoxblog.com/2012/01/ventile-classic-waterproof-revived.html

There are a few interesting discussions, images and links here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/209255/nigel-cabourn/2820

Nigel Cabourn makes a range of clothing "inspired" by mountaineering kit of the 20s, so not necessarily exact replicas. While those are great, they are very expensive. I guess a cotton bush jacket, treated with some sort of proofing, might get close, but not a passable solution. Reproduction WWII mountain troop smocks (the Germans had one in grey) could also be something in that direction.

According to the book by Davis, the 1920s Everest expeditions also pioneered the use of down clothing.

Last edited:

Big Man

Hello,

there is an excellent book on the series of expeditions Mallory was involved in: Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest by Wade Davis. I found this very interesting even though I'm no climber (scared of heights.....). The book also mentions clothing and gear at various points, plus it has lots of images. Climbers and mountaineers of that era would typically wear a varying number of insulating layers (wool and silk) with a windproof layer on top, often a very tightly woven cotton fabric, like the famous "Ventile". Here's an article about that fabric: http://www.greyfoxblog.com/2012/01/ventile-classic-waterproof-revived.html

There are a few interesting discussions, images and links here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/209255/nigel-cabourn/2820

Nigel Cabourn makes a range of clothing "inspired" by mountaineering kit of the 20s, so not necessarily exact replicas. While those are great, they are very expensive. I guess a cotton bush jacket, treated with some sort of proofing, might get close, but not a passable solution. Reproduction WWII mountain troop smocks (the Germans had one in grey) could also be something in that direction.

According to the book by Davis, the 1920s Everest expeditions also pioneered the use of down clothing.

That is some interesting reading.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
And I have one of W&G's safari jackets. A&G look to be a very worthy successor. I shall bookmark their website and follow their operation with interest. In the event I ever go back to Africa I may even be a customer.

MikePotts

Practically Family
And I have one of W&G's safari jackets. A&G look to be a very worthy successor. I shall bookmark their website and follow their operation with interest. In the event I ever go back to Africa I may even be a customer.

A friend of mine bought one of the A&C bush poplin shirts and it really is super quality, somehow those few extra features seem (to me) to make it just a little 'fussy'?

1961MJS

Hi Renault

I have two of the three in the picture. No Krag right now. I use the 1899 Haversack for carrying my shotgun equipment. I use the 1878 (?) Haversack for my eating utensils, and I have the blanket bag (Backpack) empty right now. I had to coat the interior of the canteen with parafin to get it to quit leaking.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ