Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Aero Mariner

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I find it a pity that there are no photos of the Aero Mariner around. Recently two fellow loungers asked me to upload some photos of my Mariner, so there you go.
It is a 2-year old FQHH (brown) jacket. The lining is standard Alpaca, quite warm and never had any problems with skin irritation, itching, etc.
My chest measures a bit more than 40inch and this is a size 38, I was after a more trim fit.
In general it is a lovely jacket, much warmer than the typical half belts but not as warm as my N3B and Schott 140 peacoat. front.jpg back.jpg Interior.jpg fr1.jpg fr2.jpg fr3.jpg b2.jpg

wdw

One Too Many
Nice. It's rare to see longer jackets like that here, but I wouldn't be without my Stockmans.

What's the back length on the 38?

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Nice. It's rare to see longer jackets like that here, but I wouldn't be without my Stockmans.

What's the back length on the 38?

This one has a length of 30,5 inch but I took an inch off from the original size so I guess the standard length for 38 is 31,5.

wdw

One Too Many
Yeah, you've probably got an extra 4 or 5 inches down the front. I don't mind the weight at all, as it's only about 500-700g more than a short HB, so barely noticeable on your back.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
you get used to the weight immediately. The huge difference is when I take my Mariner off and put on my HB or Prefecto's, it's like wearing silk!

wdw

One Too Many
I have a Wool HB and when I wear that I really notice the difference in weight. It's also so much warmer.

I keep meaning to post updated pics of my Stockmans as they're both about 2 years old and looking good now. We should maybe do a long jackets thread.

Looks so much better worn than the promo photo would suggest it! You were right to go with a 38, fits you just perfectly, like a stylish longer jacket. Really gorgeous coat.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I have a Wool HB and when I wear that I really notice the difference in weight. It's also so much warmer.

I keep meaning to post updated pics of my Stockmans as they're both about 2 years old and looking good now. We should maybe do a long jackets thread.

A long jackets thread would be indeed a very good idea!

Looks so much better worn than the promo photo would suggest it! You were right to go with a 38, fits you just perfectly, like a stylish longer jacket. Really gorgeous coat.

Thanks Monitor. It was a bit of a gamble to downsize but it worked out perfectly for me! I love this coat!

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Great jacket. I think this gets overlooked in favor of the Barnstormer. I like the beltless look and the collar and lapels are different. It even looks good open, which surprises me being a double breasted jacket.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Great jacket. I think this gets overlooked in favor of the Barnstormer. I like the beltless look and the collar and lapels are different. It even looks good open, which surprises me being a double breasted jacket.

The belt is the main reason I chose Mariner over Barnstormer. I wanted something that looked simpler. In the beginning I was a bit afraid that downsizing wouldn't really work but luckily it turned out really nice. I totally love this jacket.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
And as Monitor said: "Looks so much better worn than the promo photo would suggest it!". I really wonder how many jackets that I haven't never thought of trying because I don't like their promo pics could actually be really nice.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Not too many longer style Aero jackets are seen here but can say this one suits you. I think jackets of this style are designed as a topcoat to be layered underneath with a heavy coat; so downsizing would be the way to go if not intended for that use. I recall seeing WDW's two Stockman coats a couple of years ago that were both impressive, my preference leaning toward his black FQHH. Living in N Texas, such a coat would have very limited use for me, but if I were to order one, I would also downsize from my usual size 42 to size 40. Nice pictures and thanks for sharing.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Not too many longer style Aero jackets are seen here but can say this one suits you. I think jackets of this style are designed as a topcoat to be layered underneath with a heavy coat; so downsizing would be the way to go if not intended for that use. I recall seeing WDW's two Stockman coats a couple of years ago that were both impressive, my preference leaning toward his black FQHH. Living in N Texas, such a coat would have very limited use for me, but if I were to order one, I would also downsize from my usual size 42 to size 40. Nice pictures and thanks for sharing.

If I remember well this is what the guys at Aero told me, that this kind of jacket is supposed to be used as an overcoat, worn over e.g. a denim jacket. Downsizing worked perfect I must say!

wdw

One Too Many
Yeah, Fanch, I too sized down to a 38. To my mind, wearing these jackets over another jacket would be way too unwieldy.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks very much for the photos, Harris HTM. It's curious you're from the Nederlands, as the first version of this jacket I ever saw was worn by an old fellow I worked with in Rotterdam many years ago. Beautiful jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Harris HTM, I just noticed you are in the Netherlands (Rotterdam?) and can see how Aero's Mariner would be appropriate for where you live as it is currently ~30 degrees cooler where you live than N Texas. Speaking of which, I have been tracking the weather in another dam city (Amsterdam) where we will be visiting the first week of July and trying to decide which places to cruise through during our brief journey in your home country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko