Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Antipodean thread

tuppence

Practically Family
I thought it would be good if Southerners pooled our resources about the Golden Era in Aus. and N.Z, rather than just stumbling across stuff
Movies, books, television, famous people and just general info.
Foreigners welcome:)

tuppence

Practically Family
Books

1932-Hell of a year by Gerald Louis
Which I thought was a brilliant book about the Political climate of N.S.W in 1932

Razor, a true story of slashers, gangsters, prostitutes and sly grog by Larry Writer.

tuppence

Practically Family
Thanks Tuppy for taking that initiative, it realy does make sense:eusa_clap

Oh, Sweet Binkie it saves are searching through heaps of stuff. I know you know a lot.
Did you know the Vic Market was built on top of a cemetery?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
small-79.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
tuppence said:
Oh, Sweet Binkie it saves are searching through heaps of stuff. I know you know a lot.
Did you know the Vic Market was built on top of a cemetery?
That is interesting! The Sydney Town Hall was built on top of one as well - the colony's principal cemetery from 1793-1820. The headstones and remains were moved in 1869 for the construction of the Town Hall. I have a bit of an interest, as one of the few records we have of my g-g-g-g-grandfather one he arrived in Australia (originally sentenced to death for his part in the Despard plot, commuted to life transportation) is that he built the wrought iron gates of the cemetery. They found a few fragments during recent restoration that were overlooked.

I'm partial to Lennie Lower's (1903-1947) humerous sketches of life in the 30s and 40s, but I don't know how easy it is to get the collections of his work. My father and his former assistant (a gorgeous, gracious lady now in her 80s) both worked with him when he was with the Telegraph, and have hilarious/tragic stories of his work practices and misadventures as a drinker.

Recently bought a reprint of "Darlinghurst Nights" with poetry by Kenneth Slessor and cartoons/illustrations by Virgil Reilly, works originally published though the 20s and first published in a collection in 1933. They range from the satirically amusing to the rather poignant.

tuppence

Practically Family
Oh! Mojito you have such a colourful, interesting family. Hanged, drawn and quartered, Nearly.

You really have to read the 1932 book, it is so fascinating.Even if I am a little jealous that it didn't happen in Victoria.

Apparently with the exception of Germany, Australia was the country that suffered worst in the depression. After WW1, we owed the English a lot of money for outfitting our troops and such. When the depression hit,Australia was one of the few countries that did not suspend payments, I guess because a lot of politicians thought England was the Mother country. So our governments didn't have any money to invest in Capital Works.
But Your Premier thought different and refused to pay. It lead to the rise of fascism and communism and got very heated.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Tuppence,
Great thread idea, but I have to disagree with one thing
tuppence said:
But Your Premier thought different and refused to pay. It lead to the rise of fascism and communism and got very heated.
The 30's was a time of extremism, I don't think Jack Langs decision to stop the repudiation of interest payments to overseas creditors led to the rise of extremism.
Anyway, enough of that.

I'm going to see "Femme Fatale: the female criminal" at the Police and Justice Museum in Sydney. Can't wait!
http://blogs.hht.net.au/justice/

Mojito

One Too Many
Yes, we do have some colourful figures in the family tree -and that's without getting into the beloved Irish convicts and free settlers, not to mention the Spanish/Basque sea captain and the runaway cabin boy who was shanghaiied in San Fransico and who made a fortune in the Australian gold rush. I have a soft spot for Jack Lang, but won't seque into politics (and I don't necessarily agree with all his actions as Premier). It was an interesting - and difficult - period in Australian history...I think many Australians have heard of de Groot and the opening of the Bridge, for example, but I wonder how many are aware of the movement he sprung from, the New Guard?

Femme Fatale looks fabulous, lolly_loisides - I went to a preview event last year at the Police and Justice Museum, where we were all encouraged to dress up as Femme Fatales and some interesting lectures on the real vs literary female criminal of the era was discussed. I love Norman Lindsay's work as well - one of my favourite artists (even if aspects of his personal beliefs are rather off-putting). His home in the Blue Mountains is such a wonderland.

LordBest

Practically Family
Ballarat Heritage Weekend

What an excellent and timely idea for a thread. My home city of Ballarat (on the Victorian goldfields) is having a heritage event on the upcoming Mothers Day weekend:
http://www.ballaratheritageweekend.com/
There will be open houses, high teas, vintage cars, croquet, tennis (weather permitting) and all sorts of other attractions going on. A lot of the city's heritage is Victorian and Edwardian, but there is a fair amount of Golden Era as well.
Ballarat is around an hour from Melbourne by train and road, if anyone is interested. I highly recommend visits to the Fine Art Gallery (the finest outside an Australian capital) and Craig's Royal Hotel, a beautiful Second Empire hotel.

“Forty-five years ago the site now occupied by the City of Ballarat was a sylvan solitude as quiet as Eden and as lovely. Nobody had ever heard of it. On the 25th of August, 1851, the first great gold-strike made in Australia was made here. The wandering prospectors who made it scraped up two pounds and a half of gold the first day-worth $600. A few days later the place was a hive--a town.

The news of the strike spread everywhere in a sort of instantaneous way--spread like a flash to the very ends of the earth. A celebrity so prompt and so universal has hardly been paralleled in history, perhaps. It was as if the name BALLARAT had suddenly been written on the sky, where all the world could read it at once.”
- Mark Twain.

Hope I do not sound too crass, but I'm rather chuffed to see my city doing something worthwhile with its heritage, as opposed to letting property developers demolish it.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
What Ho

Has anyone used this CD shop in Melbourne, they seem awfully reasonable prices?

460802.jpg

Track Listing:

1. Warner Brothers Fanfare/it Can't Be Wrong [From Now, Voyager] - National Philharmon
2. Blindness (Judith's Theme) /Winter/resignation [From Dark Victory] - National Philharmon
3. Main Title [From A Stolen Life] - National Philharmon
4. Elizabeth [From The Private Lives Of Elizabeth And Essex] - National Philharmon
5. Forsaken [From Mr. Skeffington] - National Philharmon
6. Main Title/stanley And Roy/finale [From In This Our Life] - National Philharmon
7. All About Eve
8. Main Title [From All About Eve] - National Philharmon
9. Waltz [From Jezebel] - National Philharmon
10. Main Title/rosa Moline/train, The/rosa's Death [From Beyond The Forest] - National Philharmon
11. Carlotta [From Juarez] - National Philharmon
12. Main Title [From The Letter] - National Philharmon
13. Main Title/henriette And The Children/love Scene/finale/end Cast [From - National Philharmon

http://www.play4me.com.au/product/film_noir_music_from_film_noir_neo_noir_classics_661060_3412.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21