Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of Manliness

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Some interesting stuff - shame about the naff name, but definitely some very good content on there, even if not all to my tastes.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I look at it this way. It used to be that when a man's wife caught her husband reading a Playboy Magazine the man would reassure her that he was not looking at the pictures, he was only reading it for the articles...
In that regard, whatever issues some may have with the site, I'm only reading it for the Manly Meatball recipe! ;)

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/02/25/how-to-make-the-perfect-meatball/

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I feel the same as Edward. I sounds like a page to comfort insecure men who miss the times when they could be REAL MEN. :eusa_booh

But maybe it's comparable to "The chap" in it's irony. Some articles are actually quite helpful. Protecting, cleaning and storing your wardrobe... this kind of stuff. Their write ups about building a wardrobe are more practical orientied and not vintage or even "dandy". This should be quite helpful for newbies.

I guess the "manly skills" are more tongue in cheek or at least I read them that way.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You may be joking but it is true. My Dad isn't interested in clothes at all. So either read books or ask the interwebs.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Most male teens and young adults aren't even going to bother looking at sites like FL or Art of Manliness, let alone listen to their Dads or to pick up a book and read about dress and grooming. They dress to 'fit in'. Whatever's fashionable among their peers that's the fashion they're more than likely going to wear. But then again, in the eyes of most observers, we would be considered a bit eccentric because we like to wear fedoras and vintage clothing.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I love Art of Manliness. Some awesome articles and some of the content is pretty hilarious. I also like that it promotes true manliness (as opposed to the brainless oafish thuggery promoted by popular culture) as an ideal for men to aspire to.

Enrico

New in Town
Most male teens and young adults aren't even going to bother looking at sites like FL or Art of Manliness, let alone listen to their Dads or to pick up a book and read about dress and grooming. They dress to 'fit in'. Whatever's fashionable among their peers that's the fashion they're more than likely going to wear.

Well, I'm sixteen, and I discovered The Art of Manliness, which got me using a vintage safety razor and Brylcreem, so... :D

TSP13

Familiar Face
Well, I'm sixteen, and I discovered The Art of Manliness, which got me using a vintage safety razor and Brylcreem, so... :D

Almost the same thing happened to me. I love sitting back and getting tips on manliness from all sources, although some of the content on The Art of Manliness is a little modern for my taste. It is sad to hear how fathers just aren't raising their sons to be men anymore.

Enrico

New in Town
Almost the same thing happened to me. I love sitting back and getting tips on manliness from all sources, although some of the content on The Art of Manliness is a little modern for my taste. It is sad to hear how fathers just aren't raising their sons to be men anymore.

Glad to see I have a kindred spirit in my own generation!

Feraud

Bartender
You may be joking but it is true. My Dad isn't interested in clothes at all. So either read books or ask the interwebs.
That was a half-joke with a touch of sincerity. ;)
Unfortunately there are a lot of lost ideas, ideals, morals, and common sense issues that have been lost.
Ideally a dad should teach their boys how to shave, change a tire, dress without looking legitimately color blind, etc. If the old man isn't around or doesn't care to share I'll take the information from message boards and sites like TAoM.

Nobert

Practically Family
Unfortunately there are a lot of lost ideas, ideals, morals, and common sense issues that have been lost.
Ideally a dad should teach their boys how to shave, change a tire, dress without looking legitimately color blind, etc. If the old man isn't around or doesn't care to share I'll take the information from message boards and sites like TAoM.

You could start a magazine, The Art of Dadliness.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Or, if like mine, he has no clue...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ