Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Attack on Pearl Harbor - December 7, 1941

Lincsong said:
I agree with you that we today don't really understand the impact that December 7, 1941 had on people and this nation. Like my Dad said; "people are really quick to forget".:(

I'll never forget and I am not too quick to forgive either.
To the soldiers who served, the civilians who went through it and to the memory of those who died I pledge not to let history repeat itself. Santayana was right.

Regards,

J

Cricket

Practically Family
jazzzbaby said:
my beloved & humble thanks to the servicemen from all eras.

When I read today that this would be the final meeting in Pearl Harbor
for all those that were there...it brought tears to my eyes. It's just so
hard to accept this generation is dying out. That is why communities such
as this are so important in keeping the spirit alive.

xoxo

It is quite sad to know that these great people are twindling down. As a reporter, I wanted to do a story on the vets who were at Pearl Harbor who were from our county. Looking back in the 1941 edition of the newspaper in the archive room, I was able to find five names of men who were there. Through research, I was quick to discover that all men had passed away. I would have liked to have sat down with at least one of these men to record their memories.

I truly feel that an intense recording session with our vets needs to start to keep these memories and stories alive. If someone in your family is still able to share these moments, record and save these for future generations to see how important these men and women truly were and are.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Remember Pearl Harbor

493900904_b05f4109cd.jpg

Wearin' my 40s pin-back, wore my WWII pea coat and on Saturday, Ash and I went on the Pearl Harbor Troop Train and made it on Fox News!!!

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/troop-train-tribute-to-veterans-20091206

Spoke to some Pearl Harbor vets, spoke with a woman who was on the other side of the island at age 12 on Dec 7th. She recalled hearing motors in the sky and running out side to see the planes... she said she saw a Japanese plane fly right over her head just about tree top level... She said she saw the pilot and they made eye contact! Then, she recalls her family driving away for safety, and on the dirt road she recalls seeing dirt fly as bullets hit the grown from a plane strafing them!!! :eek:

Incredible, chilling stories that only those who were there can tell!

Never forget Dec. 7th!

Forgotten Man said:
Remember Pearl Harbor

493900904_b05f4109cd.jpg

Wearin' my 40s pin-back, wore my WWII pea coat and on Saturday, Ash and I went on the Pearl Harbor Troop Train and made it on Fox News!!!

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/troop-train-tribute-to-veterans-20091206

Spoke to some Pearl Harbor vets, spoke with a woman who was on the other side of the island at age 12 on Dec 7th. She recalled hearing motors in the sky and running out side to see the planes... she said she saw a Japanese plane fly right over her head just about tree top level... She said she saw the pilot and they made eye contact! Then, she recalls her family driving away for safety, and on the dirt road she recalls seeing dirt fly as bullets hit the grown from a plane strafing them!!! :eek:

Incredible, chilling stories that only those who were there can tell!

Never forget Dec. 7th!

That was very nice. I wish I could have been there. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Always fun to meet the vets of Pearl, you know deep down that it may be your last chance to see many of them.:(

Every Pearl Harbor Day there's a group of AT6 pilots that fly in formation low level around the area, each time they fly over my house around 8am or so. You wake up to the sound of 5-8 radial motors humming... I always get chills down my back and always shed a tear. This year it's raining apes and oxen... no AT6 fly over.:( And I always display my 48 star flag... not in this rain!

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Forgotten Man said:
Remember Pearl Harbor

493900904_b05f4109cd.jpg

I have a similar one that I bought when I was about 14, and I try to wear it every Dec. 7. I always hope that Americans of Japanese blood will not be offended, but Pearl Harbor Rememberance Day is not Anti-Japanese Day, but simply a time to remember the dastardly attack, and to honor those Americans who were there. No matter what grade I am teaching, every Dec. 7 I tell my students something about the day.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Dec 7, 9:04 PM EST
`NOVA' looks at Pearl Harbor attack

HONOLULU (AP) -- The PBS science series "NOVA" plans to broadcast a documentary presenting evidence that a torpedo fired from a Japanese midget submarine may have struck the USS Oklahoma during the Dec. 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor.

Parks Stephenson was the lead investigator of an underwater expedition for the series.

Stephenson says there are accounts that indicate one torpedo fired at the USS Arizona was a dud, but he believes another torpedo hit the USS Oklahoma.

He says two submersibles belonging to the Hawaii Undersea Research Laboratory found three sections of the sub over the past few years in an area south of Pearl Harbor.

"Killer Subs in Pearl Harbor" premiers Jan. 5.

FREDERICKSBURG, Texas – A 40-ton, 76-foot-long Japanese mini-submarine, one of five used in the attack on Pearl Harbor 68 years ago today, has a new permanent home at the expanded National Museum of the Pacific War in the landlocked Hill Country of Texas.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...rmuseum_07tex.ART.State.Edition1.4bccbed.html

Local architects' design is used at Pacific War museum
http://www.caller.com/news/2009/dec/08/local-architects-design-is-used-at-pacific-war/

Louise Anne

Suspended
jitterbugdoll said:
we must never forget.

I think that's so true !

Unfortunate I think there is a generation or two who know about for example Pearl Harbour but feel it's not a PC thing to bring up in conversation today in case it offend people.
It's the past and you cannot change it but you can remember the people who were there and that the least we can do, and i sure they would if they could say you have to learn from it to make there sacrifice mean something..

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Paul said:
feel it's not a PC thing to bring up in conversation today in case it offend people.

PC? The US being attacked has little to do with being politically correct. During the 30s the Japanese Empire were up to some suspicious activities; we had trade with them during the 30s and we admonished them not to continue in their preparations for something, if they didn’t we’d cut off the fuel trade. They didn't take our advice; we then stop fuel trade with them. To say the least, that didn’t agree with the Japanese.

December 7th came along, and then Pearl Harbor was attacked. The Japanese Empire at that time was building relations with Germany and that’s why they were part of the Axis Powers.

I strongly feel no American should walk on egg shells when speaking about Pearl Harbor. It was a dirty tactic to attack early on a Sunday morning, the US fleet and residents were caught by surprise! Even non military civilians were killed in the attack.

bwpearlcasualty.jpg

Is the US Government to blame? Perhaps however, it doesn't matter now who's to blame, we must treat Pearl Harbor with respect and reverence for those who died.

History is important and I feel that there is a serious lack of proper teaching it in this country!

Feraud

Bartender
Forgotten Man said:
PC? The US being attacked has little to do with being politically correct. During the 30s the Japanese Empire were up to some suspicious activities; we had trade with them during the 30s and we admonished them not to continue in their preparations for something, if they didn’t we’d cut off the fuel trade. They didn't take our advice; we then stop fuel trade with them. To say the least, that didn’t agree with the Japanese.

December 7th came along, and then Pearl Harbor was attacked. The Japanese Empire at that time was building relations with Germany and that’s why they were part of the Axis Powers.

I strongly feel no American should walk on egg shells when speaking about Pearl Harbor. It was a dirty tactic to attack early on a Sunday morning, the US fleet and residents were caught by surprise! Even non military civilians were killed in the attack.

Is the US Government to blame? Perhaps however, it doesn't matter now who's to blame, we must treat Pearl Harbor with respect and reverence for those who died.

History is important and I feel that there is a serious lack of proper teaching it in this country!
What I read in Paul's comment (and I may be totally wrong) is it may be politically incorrect to bring up such sentiments today.
What Japan did in the past is not the Japan of today. We tread a fine line in honoring the few remaining veterans and sounding like we are tilting at windmills.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Feraud said:
What I read in Paul's comment (and I may be totally wrong) is it may be politically incorrect to bring up such sentiments today.
What Japan did in the past is not the Japan of today. We tread a fine line in honoring the few remaining veterans and sounding like we are tilting at windmills.

The Japan of today is peaceful; in fact, much like the German culture is trying to pretend it never happened.
I just don't feel that American's should feel that speaking of Pearl Harbor isn't PC... that insinuates that WE made the first attack or we were wrong for something.

What happened that morning shouldn't be forgotten, not in a way that would encourage people to build or to hold resentment towards the Japanese people, but in a humble and respectful way to never forget those who died in an awful surprise attack.

Louise Anne

Suspended
Feraud said:

Yes you got it right Feraud,

I will explain: A little while ago I said to a person ( 27 years old ) on line that there was a lot of ill feeling towards Germany ( WW1) in the town where I lived, so much so the council changed had the name of a music hall changed from kursaal A German name to the Royal Hall
she seamed to be offended by that fact which is well documented in the town history.
And true what happened in the past is that and you cannot blame the people today who was not born back then and bring up facts is not having a go at people today.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
68th

Im just back from Hawaii. Sunday morning, I went to the Arizona Memorial to pay my respects. Its still quite a moving place, but there are extensive renovations under way. Even the large ship's anchor displayed at the entrance was gone. I suppose the area is being overhauled before the 70th anniversary.

Its sad to see so few survivors at Pearl. Back in 2001, they packed the area. It was wonderful to see them & hear their stories. And it was especially poignant to see the old servicemen bonding with the 9/11 survivors.
But we all knew they were elderly & soon wouldnt be able to make the long trip anymore.
I hope one day the military will be able to stop the Arizona's oil supply from bleeding into the harbor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto