Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Aviation Cocktail

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
During Paddy's visit he told me of a golden era cocktail that was served to him at a speakeasy in San Francisco called an Avation. He liked it very much but I had not heard of it. I checked my 1979 edition of Old Mr. Boston, but there was no mention of it. When we arrived at my office the next morning I checked my libarary of old bar books. It wasn't in my 1956 Esquire Drink Book or The Old Waldorf-Astoria Bar Book or The Cocktails of the Ritz Paris. My 1947 Bartender's Guide by Trader Vic had three completely different formulas. One wine based, one Bourbon based and one more like what I have come to know as an Avaition cocktail:

1/2 oz. gin
3/4 oz. lomon juice
2 dashes maraschino liqueur

Stir with cracked ice; strain into chilled cocktail glass.
Variation: Add 2 dashes of Creme de violette.

My 1935 Old Mr. Boston had this recipe:

1/3 lemon juice
2/3 Old Mr. Boston Dry Gin
2 dashes maraschino
Shake well with cracked ice and strain into 3 oz. cocktail glass.

This was some very interesting information I found on the history of this drink:

Aviation Cocktail

1/3 Lemon Juice. (3/4 oz Fresh Lemon Juice)
2/3 Dry Gin. (1 1/2 oz Plymouth Gin)
2 Dashes Maraschino. (1/2 tsp. Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur)
[2 Dashes Creme de Violette] (1/2 tsp. Rothman and Winter Creme de Violette Liqueur)
(1/2 teaspoon Rich Simple Syrup)

Shake well and strain into cocktail glass. (Garnish with cherry.)

In one of the Savoy Cocktail Book’s more famous typos or mistakes, Craddock (or the editors) left the Violette out of the recipe for the Aviation Cocktail.

This is the earliest recipe from Hugo Ensslin’s 1916 “Recipes for Mixed Drinks.”

Aviation Cocktail

1/3 Lemon Juice
2/3 El Bart Gin
2 dashes Maraschino
2 dashes Creme de Violette

Shake well in a mixing glass with cracked ice, strain and serve.

http://underhill-lounge.flannestad.com/2008/02/24/aviation-cocktail/

At our get together at Huber's, I asked the bartender if he could make one. He didn't have the Creme de Violette, but he suggested a substitute....so I said give it a go. I haven't been much of a gin drinker but I must say this was a smooth drink. Paddy and I had one which he said tasted like the one he had in the bay area.

The drink caught on. Before long the whole table was ordering Aviations. It was the drink of the night. I think the bar might add it to their list.

Apparently the Creme de Violette is not seen much. pdxvintagette is having a bottle shipped to her. I have spent some time locating it and will be picking up a bottle on Monday.

After searching the Lounge I have found a few posts scattered about but I thought it might be fun to have a thread devoted to this vintage cocktail.

Enjoy!

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Fletch said:
Any workaround for maraschino liqueur? Hard thing to find for just 2 dashes. Will grenadine do?

Maybe a splash of Maraschino cherry juice? And an extra splash of gin to make up for the lack of liqueur?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

rumblefish said:
This happens to be one of my favorite cocktails.

I said it on another thread- Get the whole kit and kaboodle here;
http://www.drinkupny.com/The_Aviation_Cocktail_p/c0014.htm

I make mine 1/4 lemon juice 1/4 maraschino 1/2 gin, and two dash Creme de Violette in each glass.

That is very convenient. I didn't know about Aviation gin....and it is made right here in Portland. I did some digging and I am pleased to read it has been well received. From Spirits Review:

Final Thoughts: A very praiseworthy attempt at creating at completely different gin. While taking a old style genever or American style base they have added a deft sense of blending,maceration and distillation to create a truly outstanding Gin.This is the gin to use to resurrect those classic pre-Prohibition American cocktail recipes such as the Alamagoozlum and a host of others, that simply cannot be done with a London Dry. Amazingly cheap compared to all its competitors and a must have for the discerning gin connoisseur.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A good sub for creme de violette would be Parfait D'Amour, which is a bitter orange and violet flavored liqueur. I love it for its color, a true cobalt blue! But it is powerful sweet. A little goes a long ways.
Apparently the point of the creme de violette is not so much the taste as the vague moonstone color it gives the drink, so the PdA would work just swell.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Paddy's Bartenders

While in SF, I was one of Paddy's bartenders and he loved the Original Aviation with the Creme de Violette. He liked it so much that I am getting more Creme de Violette for his Monday night stay.

FG.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Any workaround for maraschino liqueur? Hard thing to find for just 2 dashes. Will grenadine do?

Don't use maraschino cherry juice, the maraschino liqueur has a completely different flavor profile. Look online for a bottle of Luxardo Maraschino, it's not that hard to come by.

Another one to try the Creme d' Violette with:

BLUE MOON

2 ounces gin
1/2 ounce Crème de Violette
1/4 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice, strained

Shake or stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass;
garnish with a twist of lemon.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
What? There were no fresh lemons available??

Lets just say....what they gave me was not a proper white lady...I had them add lemon juice...which helped it...but i think whatever it was also had coconut and erm milk....I really have -zero- idea what it was...beyond that it did indeed have gin.

anyhow...when i tried to order another one the next day and started dictating what was in it...she stopped me and said 'oh thats why, we dont have lemon juice'

I think they are unwilling to sit there squeezing garnish lemons for juice......

It's -tragic-....

anyhow...back to this aviation thing....I might have to try it.....its intriguing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ