Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BANTAM Bar

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
5453853270_b82aef8d08_z.jpg
5453855422_ac66466733_z.jpg

5453244201_3d971c938a_z.jpg
5453244631_1a8354a08c_z.jpg

Don't think it was worn but was left crumpled, dusty and somewhat dried out. Lexol applied to both sides of the sweat now. 2.75 oz. very soft and light, like a Playboy on a starvation diet.

I have this exact hat in 7-1/8 - yours is the only other one I've seen (what could be described as the bantam weight Playboy). I need to take it to Optimo to get a clean/block and get the sweat replaced...

HatsEnough

Banned
I am always torn about replacing the sweatband in a Stetson.

After all, if you replace the sweatband in your Playboy the hat goes from being a Stetson Playboy to... just a hat. Why? Because you've just eliminated the sweat where it says that the hat is a Stetson Playboy. Stetson far more often has the hat model imprinted on the sweat than it does on the liner (tho sometimes it was on both the liner and the sweat, granted).

I try never to replace the sweatband of a hat if I can avoid it. Of course, sometimes you just can't avoid it if you want a hat you can wear, sad to say.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
I am always torn about replacing the sweatband in a Stetson.

After all, if you replace the sweatband in your Playboy the hat goes from being a Stetson Playboy to... just a hat. Why? Because you've just eliminated the sweat where it says that the hat is a Stetson Playboy. Stetson far more often has the hat model imprinted on the sweat than it does on the liner (tho sometimes it was on both the liner and the sweat, granted).

I try never to replace the sweatband of a hat if I can avoid it. Of course, sometimes you just can't avoid it if you want a hat you can wear, sad to say.

Yes, tragic indeed. Makes it difficult to resell, too, if the Bantam designation is strictly based on my word. I guess I could include the old sweatband as evidence if I ever do want to sell it.

HatsEnough

Banned
Chiliarches;1234671I guess I could include the old sweatband as evidence if I ever do want to sell it.[/QUOTE said:
I have done this. With the few fedoras I've replaced the hat band on, I always save the orig. sweat for future reference. In fact, I've cut out the model designations and tucked that little sliver of band into the new band to keep it with the hat.

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
Greetings,

I just bought a Bantam Royal Stetson on ebay, my first ebay purchase since I kicked a fountain pen addiction a few years ago. I looked through the threads to see what I could find about this hat while I was bidding. It seems like it had several different incarnations, is that right? First in the 1930's and then in the 1950s, and ... later?

Anyway, I wonder if some kind and knowledgeable member of the lounge would look at this to help me identify what I've bought? Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bantam-Royal-Stetson-Mens-Green-Hat-7-3-8-/150655903675?pt=US_Hats&hash=item2313caa7bb

zetwal

I'll Lock Up

buler

I'll Lock Up
Glad to be adding to the Bantam Bar thread. A very nice seafoam blue/green (hard to catch color in pic). The first pic is closest in color. Super lightweight felt. Subtle single stitch line brim. Only the one tag still present, but at least it matches the sweat stamping.

B

bantam.jpg
bantam1.jpg
bantam2.jpg
bantam3.jpg
bantam4.jpg
bantam5.jpg
bantam6.jpg
bantam7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members