Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Battle of the Bulge.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Charles Durning, died 25DEC12

The Malmedy Massacre was on December 17th. May Charles find Peace.

Then came World War II, and he enlisted in the Army. His combat experiences were harrowing. He was in the first wave of troops to land on Omaha Beach on D-Day and his unit’s lone survivor of a machine-gun ambush. In Belgium he was stabbed in hand-to-hand combat with a German soldier, whom he bludgeoned to death with a rock. Fighting in the Battle of the Bulge, he and the rest of his company were captured and forced to march through a pine forest at Malmedy, the scene of an infamous massacre in which the Germans opened fire on almost 90 prisoners. Mr. Durning was among the few to escape.

By the war’s end he had been awarded a Silver Star for valor and three Purple Hearts, having suffered gunshot and shrapnel wounds as well. He spent months in hospitals and was treated for psychological trauma.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/26/m...ific-character-actor-dies-at-89.html?hp&_r=1&

rjb1

Practically Family
Back when things were better than they are now (Golden Age), that series "The Big Picture" came on every Sunday afternoon covering different aspects of military history or current events.
I would watch it with my Dad without fail.

Captain Nemo

Familiar Face
Back when things were better than they are now (Golden Age), that series "The Big Picture" came on every Sunday afternoon covering different aspects of military history or current events.
I would watch it with my Dad without fail.

Sounds like this brought back good memories for you!

I discovered the Big Picture series when it was shown on on Armed Forces Television Network while on a deployment to the Mideast a few years back. Perhaps not such a pleasant reminiscence as you had :), but I did enjoy the show nonetheless.

rjb1

Practically Family
Thanks, it definitely did. My dad was a WWII vet and as a kid I would ask him questions about all the stuff on the show.
Another good WWII show from that era was "Victory at Sea" which we also watched together.
If you have seen any of that show, you remember the big-ocean-wave scene at the beginning of each episode (with the dramatic theme music). My dad would inevitably (every week) comment that the ocean scene looked *just like* the way it did as he was on the ship heading for Europe during the War.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko