Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Best Custom Western Hat maker!!!

memphislawyer

Practically Family
I don't know Bo, er, Diddley, about western hats other than to look at them. However, going in person to Major Mike's, if you think he does a mean fedora, then he has to be even better than that on Westerns as most of his premade hats seem to be western and so is the theme of his shop. To see Rocky and Mike work on the hat is a great experience. Now, I have not seen everyone's work from a custom perspective, but those that I have seen and held, Mike truly stands at the top. If there are those that are better than him, we are talking minutae in degrees, just based on what I have held and what I have in my arsenal.

RBH

Bartender
Mike just sent me this Pale Rider with sterling silver hand made conchos.
100% beaver....sweet hat.
Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374184312415.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374184312415.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2,556
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374184329412.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374184329412.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 2,491

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
achris: Welcome to The Fedora Lounge. You have landed in a great place, but you should know, there are som written and unwritten rules - just like in other fora.

One of these rules is: Not to link-drop outside of reasonable context. Even if you, some of your friends or your family run a cap-shop, it is not obviously helpful to link to it in a thread on "The Best Custom Western Hat maker" :)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Y'all

My first custom hat was from Jaxonbilt hats. Roy is a good guy to work with, I had a Montana Peak hat built, half bunny, half beaver. The conformer is HARD to use by yourself.

My second custom hat was from Mike Moore, and I used the cutout I made from Roy's conformer. I have four (was three) more Western's from Mike, well, one's not done yet. I'm going by to pick it up soon I hope. Obviously, I like his work. He fits your head, your face, and what you wanted to look like.

My favorite website to look at hats (besides the obvious here) is Last Best Hat Company. They're more expensive, and not remotely on my way home (like Buckaroo Hatter is).

I live just down the road 3 miles from a guy named Fred Shafer and one of the local cattlemen has two of his hats. He does a good job, and is only slightly more expensive than Buckaroo hatters. He SELLS hats, he doesn't really display too many so it's hard to see any of his work. He also don't do the internet.

I'm also close to Shorty's Hats in OKC. They have hundreds of hat styles as long as it's the current Pro Rodeo style. I ain't impressed.

I have four or five Sun Body hats, shaped and customized by Hatman Jack in Wichita. He's very good, has a nice shop, and specializes in Cowboy hats. He also doesn't do the internet.

If you're in the market for a new cowboy hat, I would strongly suggest going to your closest hatter that actually makes hats, not your local Western Store. There's a LOT to be said for having the hatter measure your head. From the hat stores I've been in, Hatman Jack and Mike Moore will both tell you if a hat makes you look silly. Levine's in downtown Saint Louis would sell you a beaver dunce hat and tell you how great you look.

Rusty, I like that hat, but that JUST AIN'T YOUR STYLE, or did you get a new bike?

Later

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I do believe my next custom hat will be from a maker whom I visit in person. That way I can have the maker collect all the measurements they may need and have a mutual understanding of what I am seeking. From crown height, brim length, brim shape, all the way down to the type of leather used in the hat band. :) I think my controlling side is coming out about my hats, more and more.

FrankMc

Familiar Face
There are a lot of great American hatters that specialize in Cowboy hats, but give Mike at Buckaroo a call, besides great hats and prices, the great customer service is known world wide.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
There are a lot of great American hatters that specialize in Cowboy hats, but give Mike at Buckaroo a call, besides great hats and prices, the great customer service is known world wide.

I am considering M. Moore a great deal. I am more than likely going to visit his shop and talk with him before I make a decision.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I love that Knudsen hat website... I go there prolly once a week just to look...
I'm really more of a fedora fan. But that Jimmy Stewart "Winchester '73" hat is fantastic, as is the Steve McQueen "Magnificent Seven" hat. Love those rolled brims!

RRit

New in Town
Hello, can anyone tell me about Baldwin hats? I am looking for a top quality felt hat to last. These guys seem very helpful and profess to make hats to the highest quality. I would be buying from OS, has anyone had success buying custom made hats from U.S. makers from outside U.S.?

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
Hello, can anyone tell me about Baldwin hats? I am looking for a top quality felt hat to last. These guys seem very helpful and profess to make hats to the highest quality. I would be buying from OS, has anyone had success buying custom made hats from U.S. makers from outside U.S.?
Gene Baldwin is one of the best hat makers around. Can't go wrong with a hat from him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points