• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

The Black Hat Brigade

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Matt Deckard, Jun 27, 2007.

1. The black hat

I've always been a non black hat fan. The black hat Just wasn't me... In my mind the hat had that villanous connetation when paired with a suit. The look also brings to mind religions and I'm not much of a religious man.

Putting the hat on and pairing it with the right suit seems to have made me change my mind. Now I'm wearing it whenever I get the chance.

The hat was a gift from MK and I think the dimentions are perfect. i might even order a repro in grey from Art.

Check it out... the black hat. vintage Stetson.

high crown short brim with a narrow bound edge and a 2" wide ribbon.

2. akaBruno

akaBruno Suspended

It may be my monitor, but it looks blue in the pic, that I'm looking at.

I love black hats.

3. AlanC

AlanC My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think I could only be convinced to wear a homburg in black. Maybe one of these days I'll come around.
  4. Zig2k143

Zig2k143 Practically Family

Nice hat I tend to like black hats. As you can see in my avator...

I guess I might get along well with the villians. :)
  5. bolthead

bolthead My Mail is Forwarded Here

Nice Lid Matt.....

Looks good on you too, especially next to red. ;)

AlanC, I couldn't agree with you more. It's actually the only black hat I own to date. A vintage Black Homburg Brodt's, that I acquired from our very own Dinerman, a very classy hat indeed.
  6. .

Having seen the photo....I think this size brim looks better on you.
  7. Agreed... My long face isn't a fan of the wide brim ... though there are always acceptions. I look acceptionally good in cowboy hats.
  8. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I hope the black hat I'm expecting fits.

Great hat, Matt.

Remember the deep black fedora William Powell wore with dinner suit in Libeled Lady? Trying to find a pic.
  9. feltfan

feltfan Call Me a Cab

That is a fine hat. Love to see a pic of the inside. What's the
    Stetson model name?
  10. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

I have a black fedora that I especially like to wear with my camel hair overcoat.
  11. Show us the pic
  12. Edward

Edward Bartender

I always loved the villains in the movies - they always have the sharpest tailoring ;) - and I'm a religious boy in real life, so black hats suit me down to the ground, heh. Black goes with just about everything, plus it's slimming.... suits my fat head! :p I'm looking forward to organising myself with a few more fedoras in various olive / brown / grey / navy shades to match different outfits. I'm a real one for colour coordination when I can manage / afford it.
  13. The shorter brim definitely suits you more than the Indy brims now that your face has slimmed down dramatically. You have a Bogartesque length to it, and those proportions complement you very welll. :eusa_clap
  14. Is that that black hat that i sold to MK? looks like it.

it's most definitely black, by the way.

Looks great, Matt! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

15. besdor

besdor Vendor/Sponsor

black hats

Although black hats are the number one color that we sell, black is still the biggest selling color in the dress market as well. Stetson and Biltmore tell us that this is the number one color sold in all oftheir markets. I am sure that many retailers would agree as well. This was not the case years ago as gray and brown were more important but times have changes.

16. Ah the converted. :p Nothing like a black hat. I love 'em but can't find enough vintage ones due to the stigma associated with them in the golden era. Darn! :eusa_doh:

17. Empyrium

Empyrium One of the Regulars

Hi all! im new to the forum. nice to meet you!

Matt, could you tell me whats the size of your hat brim in cm? Since in japan we use only metrical values, i have no idea about inches, need to learn it:)

18. Black hat

I love my black OR. Looks great with a suit and overcoat.
  19. panamag8or

panamag8or Practically Family

The only thing that bothers me about my black hat is that it seems to attract every speck of light-colored lint and such within a twenty foot radius. I need to find a good, vintage gal that will be willing to carry a travel lint brush in her bag for me.:D
  20. Edward

Edward Bartender

Rule of thumb: multiply inches by 2.5 to get the equivalent in cm. 1"=25mm