Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Black Tie Guide

Zachary

One of the Regulars
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Honestly, this really isn't meant to be any kind of commercial, I just wanted to share a website find with you.

While researching information on formal evening attire, I stumpled across this page:
http://www.blacktieguide.com

It features some really extensive information on the different styles of gentlemen's warderobe you will encounter, and gives some tips on how to dress properly.

For example:
- Peak lapel or shawl collar?
- Single- or double-breasted?
- cufflinks in black-and-gold or mother of pearl?
- cummerbund or waistcoat?
etc.

You will also find links to on-line retailers that might have one or the other deal for you.

What do you think about this page?

redlinerobert

One of the Regulars
Looks like an interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I own a black tuxedo, wide peak satin lapels, trim fitting trousers with braces, and usually buy a new shirt for formal events. Also wear it with a custom made 3" wide silk self tie bow tie. Black studs and antique gold coin cufflinks my wife gave me. I've tried slippers but find that lace up patent shoes work best for me.

Zachary

One of the Regulars
Can you give me a hint on which timepiece to use with Black Tie Attire?

I thought a pocket watch was a good idea, but my horlogist of choice suggested to wear a wrist watch.

Any idea from an expert?

redlinerobert

One of the Regulars
First off I'm hardly an expert.....

Since I don't wear a vest with my tuxedo I prefer a wristwatch over a pocket watch. I have a Cartier Tank in XL that works quite well with suits and formal wear.

GHT

I'll Lock Up

I thought a pocket watch was a good idea, but my horlogist of choice suggested to wear a wrist watch.

Any idea from an expert?
Expert? Me? Don't be silly. I have three tuxedos, we call them dinner suits, One ivory, one late 30's, in black, with wider lapels and a longer jacket, although nowhere near as long as a zoot suit, and high waisted trousers. The trousers have an eighteen in bottom with a two inch turned up cuff. The ensemble is very much Chicago, late 30's, end of prohibition. With this outfit I like to wear the watch of the period which was a pocket watch on a long chain, the watch sits in the trouser pocket.
Trouser_Pocket_chain.jpg

The ivory Tux also has wide lapels, but it's much more a 40's/50's style, with this I wear an original wristwatch, one with a jewel movement, that has to be wound up.
My third out fit is much more modern, slim lapels of satin appearance. it's one of those, when needs must, it's why it rarely gets an airing. But when it does, a wristwatch is always one of the accompanying accoutrements.
If anyone has ever struggled with the bow tie, let Charles show you how it's done.

Faux Brummell

Familiar Face
I'm a huge fan of the Black Tie Guide - the creator used to post here under the name Midnight Blue but he seems to have moved on (and I know he sold the Guide a couple of years ago). At any rate, here's what he has to say about this topic:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Classic_Accessories.htm

Some consider it gauche to wear a timepiece to a formal occasion arguing that clock watching is contradictory to the celebratory nature of such events and insulting to the hostess. Those men who can't conceive of being without a wristwatch for an entire evening should at least heed the advice of Glenn O'Brien, GQ’s Style Guy. “Just because it’s gold, is diamond festooned, and costs more than the average car doesn’t mean it’s a dressy watch,” he says. “Instead, opt for a slim, unadorned timepiece with a black leather band. A formal watch should keep time, not flash it.” A watch face with markings and a seconds hand that are minimal or non-existent is particularly well-suited to black tie's refined minimalism. The metal trim should match the metal of the cufflinks.
Alternately, a formal affair is a wonderful excuse to carry a classic pocket watch and at least pretend to be unfettered by temporal constraints...

Any idea from an expert?

I'm a huge fan of the Black Tie Guide - the creator used to post here under the name Midnight Blue but he seems to have moved on (and I know he sold the Guide a couple of years ago). At any rate, here's what he has to say about this topic:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Classic_Accessories.htm

Some consider it gauche to wear a timepiece to a formal occasion arguing that clock watching is contradictory to the celebratory nature of such events and insulting to the hostess. Those men who can't conceive of being without a wristwatch for an entire evening should at least heed the advice of Glenn O'Brien, GQ’s Style Guy. “Just because it’s gold, is diamond festooned, and costs more than the average car doesn’t mean it’s a dressy watch,” he says. “Instead, opt for a slim, unadorned timepiece with a black leather band. A formal watch should keep time, not flash it.” A watch face with markings and a seconds hand that are minimal or non-existent is particularly well-suited to black tie's refined minimalism. The metal trim should match the metal of the cufflinks.
Alternately, a formal affair is a wonderful excuse to carry a classic pocket watch and at least pretend to be unfettered by temporal constraints...

The same convention that says you shouldn't wear a watch with formal attire also says that "black tie" isn't formal, only "semi-formal", and there shouldn't be a "hostess", or any women for that matter, present. Certainly one would never wear a watch with true formal "white tie" attire, but a slim, understated analog watch on a black leather band is certainly acceptable with a tuxedo. Leave the Apple Watch at home for one night.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Certainly one would never wear a watch with true formal "white tie" attire, but a slim, understated analog watch on a black leather band is certainly acceptable with a tuxedo. Leave the Apple Watch at home for one night.
Along with the cell phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112