Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Blue Blazer".

Feraud

Bartender
Double breasted is my preference for a blue blazer.
My observation about single breasted blazers and NYC building security guards is simply an observation based on the direction of the conversation. I work in the city and encounter this every day. The building guards wear single breasted blazers en masse.
I don't view it as good or bad.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
A sure way to avoid being mistaken for security when wearing a blazer is to wear a pocket square. :p

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Double breasted is my preference for a blue blazer.
My observation about single breasted blazers and NYC building security guards is simply an observation based on the direction of the conversation. I work in the city and encounter this every day. The building guards wear single breasted blazers en masse.
I don't view it as good or bad.

I am a guard at a "Harvard Teaching Hospital" in Boston, and I guard a research building, but I'm in a "hard" uniform. For years, at another site, I wore a blazer, though I think ours were wool (my company spends a lot on our uniforms). I think the difference lies in the stupid red clip-on tie and the company patch on the breast pocket. With a Robert Talbott paisley tie, off-white linen pocket square and grey fur or straw fedora, they look pretty darned sharp.

J. M. Stovall said:
I was "made" to wear one all the time in college, I'm still kind of burnt out on them after all this time. What I really want is a nice white or cream linen jacket. Still looking.

Gee, that would look good with navy blue trousers; sort of a reverse look. A pretty good ensemble for all of those navy blue hats out there that no one seems to know what to do with.

Talbot

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
Sport coat, jacket, blazer.. I've always been a little confused about what those terms are meant to differentiate. Will the educated among you please tell me why some are called one thing and some are called the other? Are they just interchangeable terms?

In any event, yes, I guess, would be my answer. I just shudder to think of having only one lapeled jacket in my closet. :eek:

Down here they are generally referred to as 'Reefer Jackets' - go figure

tonypaj

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
I think I understand what you are saying here.
When we are talking about wearing a regiment tie or Squadron Crest badge.
But buttons? And not even the official RAF Blazer Buttons (They can be bought)

But you do not earn buttons..

Exactly. And I'd like to have buttons that look like yours for my navy blazer. I think they look cool, that's all... I'd also wear buttons made of industrial metal, silverish color, if I could find them. They'd look equally cool to me...

Panache

A-List Customer
In my opinion, every gentleman should have a blue blazer and a tweed sport coat in their closet.

The two of these work wonderfully in a myriad of different situations and looks.

Cheers

Jamie

Talbot

One Too Many
tonypaj said:
Exactly. And I'd like to have buttons that look like yours for my navy blazer. I think they look cool, that's all... I'd also wear buttons made of industrial metal, silverish color, if I could find them. They'd look equally cool to me...

Pewter or tarnished silver buttons look great on a reefer jacket. Good choice.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
A brushed nickel or other aged silver-finish or a dark bronze button is a good way to add a bit of individuality and tailoring to a perhaps uninspired or unexciting blue blazer. Not recommending the rampant rehauling of vintage jackets but its an option for modern pieces or jackets that require repair.

It also reduces the accusations of boringness or looking like its a uniform that get levelled at the look.

Rhinestones, however, are only recommended for the ladies and possibly performers at the Grand Ol' Opry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto