Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Are the Borsalino hats made today worth the retail price? Don't know anything about the Borsalino except I like the look. Are they like the big mfg companies in the USA in that the quality dropped in the 60s? I'm thinking of getting a couple but don't want to waist my limited funds.
I have looked at modern Borsalinos and I think they offer a decent hat....BUT I do not think the quality warrants the prices they ask. I definitely would not order one on line as I have seen some in the shop where the quality control has been appalling.....others looked pretty good. If you are willing to spend that kind of money I suggest you look at a custom, The custom hatters here on the Lounge can make you a fine hat in any style you should desire. Or if you are a common size keep an eye on FineVintageFedoras on Etsy. Scott sells some nice vintage Borsalinos at fair prices. I have 4 of his.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Are the Borsalino hats made today worth the retail price? Don't know anything about the Borsalino except I like the look. Are they like the big mfg companies in the USA in that the quality dropped in the 60s? I'm thinking of getting a couple but don't want to waist my limited funds.
I've owned modern Borsalino hats that were fantastic and I've owned some that were trash.
I've sold all my modern Borsalinos but one ...a dark grey Alessandria... and that one is absolutely special and I would put it against any custom and a good amount of vintage hats.
Granted I handled probably 20 hats at Bencraft and happened to find an absolute gem in a pile of decent hats that were the exact same hat.
I do not recommend buying a modern hat without handling it ... you are really rolling the dice because so much of it is absolute garbage.
Like my Bencraft experience... you could have a stack of the same hat in front of you and if you are lucky one might be worthy of leaving with.... luckily I stumbled upon an absolute diamond in a pile of cubic zirconia

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I've owned modern Borsalino hats that were fantastic and I've owned some that were trash.
I've sold all my modern Borsalinos but one ...a dark grey Alessandria... and that one is absolutely special and I would put it against any custom and a good amount of vintage hats.
Granted I handled probably 20 hats at Bencraft and happened to find an absolute gem in a pile of decent hats that were the exact same hat.
I do not recommend buying a modern hat without handling it ... you are really rolling the dice because so much of it is absolute garbage.
Like my Bencraft experience... you could have a stack of the same hat in front of you and if you are lucky one might be worthy of leaving with.... luckily I stumbled upon an absolute diamond in a pile of cubic zirconia
I'm sure I've seen a pic of that modern Borsalino before but don't feel like searching posts/threads. Got a coupla fast pics you could put up if you don't mind? Thx.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure I've seen a pic of that modern Borsalino before but don't feel like searching posts/threads. Got a coupla fast pics you could put up if you don't mind? Thx.

6f868ac8d3aece704dabca901e744611.jpg

cffaf302799b138925c614ea00d47fd7.jpg

1ef6fab2aaa5d742350c9bde37f66d8a.jpg

It's also the hat in this video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think that hat is fantastic. Borsalino makes both hare fedoras and all beaver fedoras. I would assume the beavers are of high quality.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer

Hat looks perfect, and you lok perfect wearing it! One of those shots looks like an album cover waiting to happen. And I agree with Bob, you can tell there is something special going on with that felt by the way it responds to your touch...I can't help but smile when I see a felt that melts to your touch like that...

RJR

Hat looks perfect, and you lok perfect wearing it! One of those shots looks like an album cover waiting to happen. And I agree with Bob, you can tell there is something special going on with that felt by the way it responds to your touch...I can't help but smile when I see a felt that melts to your touch like that...
+1

Bird Lives

A-List Customer

I really LOVE it, when a new production hat turns out to be so nice...
I know what you mean....you need to handle a stack of the exact same hat...and IF you are lucky you hit one like your Borsa here...But man...thats the joy and thrill of the hunt....when it does produce a pay-off....And it's posts like your vid here, that encourages us by showing us, they are still out there, and still being made......Thanks Moon, I love it!

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
They definately dont make them like that anymore. The way things are going in italy, they might not be making anything soon.

Reactions: RJR

GunnerTarkington

New in Town
Thanks guys, the image in the liner is of the Sailor's Monument in Brindisi, Italy. The address of Francesco Sion's mens shop was located at a major intersection in Brindisi. Although the store no longer exists the building still houses retailers. I love looking up the history as much as I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko