Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Thx. Wondering if its considered a Homburg by Borsalino standards. The brim binding is very thin and the flange is a bit more shallow then pictured. I'm looking forward to hearing more from our resident experts. :) It's a much more greenish grey then shown.
Good to see it arrived safely. It looks fantastic. My guess would be later 1950s but it could be a bit earlier (not earlier than mid 1950s) or later (no later than early 1970s).

Can you take a front view photo so I can see the brim flange? If so please take the photo straight on at brim level (for example place the Hat on glass).

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Sure Steve. Like this?
Thx.
6fd121030407f6e9459236084c78a93e.jpg
8858e370cebce1a78897343edbef3f61.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Ciao Bob your Borsalino is beautiful and unusual
The color LUPO is that of wolf fur in the Borsalino palette of colors
It was sold behind Piazza San Marco - Venezia in a no longer active hats shop
https://2gis.it/padova/geo/9289309886816478?queryState=center/12.338001,45.435853/zoom/17
I believe it is an interpretation with a slight variation in the brim of this hat
View attachment 83371
Borsalino "Belloni" remake of Giuseppe Verdi's hat made in sixties
Great info. Thank you Daniele. How did you find the vendor? Was it on the hat tag or stamped in the hat? Could you narrow down the age? Any idea? Thanks again! :)

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Great info. Thank you Daniele. How did you find the vendor? Was it on the hat tag or stamped in the hat? Could you narrow down the age? Any idea? Thanks again!
The picture I showed is part of a Borsalino photo hats library I've saved over the years.
The caption of this one said is was said in my message. The statement is from the shopkeeper.
The date of its production is exactly what Steve said in his message, but for me the 60s are quite likely.
Two important considerations on Borsalino models and dates.
In Europe, the models sold are MUCH different from those sold in the USA.
There is no name here, but only indications of quality that often (always) are simple, fairly effective, marketing shots.
It is very difficult here in Italy, as opposed to other parts of Europe, having the date stamped inside the sweatband.
It has never been part of the tradition of hats sellers, also because the concept of time is subtly different here from there.
Borsalino does not have clear indications on his labels of the year of production and speculations are often useless.
It is possible to give a brief summary according to the models and above all the shape and finish of the hats, except for the last twenty years where in the labels are stated the years of production.
However yours remains a very beautiful and Italian taste hat ;)

The picture I showed is part of a Borsalino photo hats library I've saved over the years.
The caption of this one said is was said in my message. The statement is from the shopkeeper.
The date of its production is exactly what Steve said in his message, but for me the 60s are quite likely.
There is no name here, but only indications of quality that often (always) are simple, fairly effective, marketing shots.
It is very difficult here in Italy, as opposed to other parts of Europe, having the date stamped inside the sweatband.
It has never been part of the tradition of hats sellers, also because the concept of time is subtly different here from there.
Borsalino does not have clear indications on his labels of the year of production and speculations are often useless.
It is possible to give a brief summary according to the models and above all the shape and finish of the hats, except for the last twenty years where in the labels are stated the years of production.
+1 I just love this type of information from you Daniele. Filed away for future reference.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Daniele so much for all the info! Who is Romolo Bignotti? Is there a model name for this hat? Guessing it's rabbit/hare or a blend?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Daniele so much for all the info! Who is Romolo Bignotti? Is there a model name for this hat? Guessing it's rabbit/hare or a blend?

Hey Bob maybe my English is not so good or you are a little bit too much in the birds language:rolleyes:

Borsalino "Belloni" (this is the name of the hat) remake of Giuseppe Verdi's hat(!?!) ,Italian Opera composer
Verdi-photo-Brogi.jpg

Romolo Bignotti is the name of the owner of the hats shop in Venezia; the street is Merzerie San Giulian. This is Venetian dialect with which are called the streets, squares and every other place in Venezia
Yours is a rabbit. The one I posted in the picture has a small amount of woll, but it is only my guess

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto