Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Steve, thank you. I don't think so. The hat looks almost new and if it wasn't for the initials on the sweatband I would have thought is was NOS. Everything on it looks like it was designed to be lightweight and airy.
Stefan, I guess I was thrown off by the cut of the crown logo patch. Also I can't recalling seeing side vent holes like that before.

Tonio

A-List Customer
Tonio, Super find! Is it a size 7 1/8 US or English. Does it also have a paper label behind the sweatband? Was it from a European Seller? Thanks!

Hi, I'm thinking US because English 7 1/8 would be US 7 1/4 which is my size. This is definitely on the small side, almost like it could be a size 7. It was purchased from a European woman that deals in vintage clothing.

Here's a shot of the tag. The 5 1/2 is interesting. Handwriting looks like "Giorgetto"?
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Tonio, Thank you for posting the paper label. That is interesting because English 7 1/8 would be French Point 5 1/2. Is that dust build up on the crown?

I also have a "Giorgetto" Borsalino Stiff Felt.

34465593561_a9154e6361_b.jpg

It also has the English size 7 1/4 for French Point 6. By the way the sweatband came like this. From what I can remember it's a bit tight.

8368329242_2b288db9d1_b.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-borsalino-brotherhood.13133/page-146#post-1570985

Your Homburg has US 7 3/8 on both paper labels. That's the oldest American market Borsalino I have ever seen.

image-jpeg.74121

image-jpeg.74122

image-jpeg.74244

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-borsalino-brotherhood.13133/page-259#post-2247440

Last edited:

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A 5 1/2 French should be a 7 1/8 English and a 7 1/4 U.S. The sweatband may have shrunk. If so, and if in good shape, the sweatband should be able to be stretched back to original size.

The problem with Stiff Felts is that distortion in the brim is more apparent after stretching. You see this even with Stiff Felts that were stretched conformed long ago. If they were done by a professional they can be hard to detect. If they were made more round I have never been able to get them back to an oval. Regardless I have stretched and manipulated some of mine. :)

Tonio, Does it lie flat? Can you see any space under the brim?

Tonio

A-List Customer
Thanks for sharing the images of your
Giorgetto. I took a look at mine and the front and back of the brim lie flat.

The homburg was a special find indeed. I noticed it at an antiques fair within 10 minutes of being there. The seller was being difficult and only accepted cash. I had to leave and return, then made a deal. It's part of the fun though.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
The rust color is what grabbed me on this Borsalino. It's another eBay pickup. The only thing I think that is lacking is the sweatband. It is a replacement. The seller has it listed as 1960s but I'm thinking 1950s?

It's tagged;
Bruciato = Burnt
Feltro = Felt
Dellasgo = Dellasgo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GORGEOUS-V...BFsJJbj8LIqJdIxU9syxc%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

View attachment 103858 View attachment 103866 View attachment 103861 View attachment 103864 View attachment 103859 View attachment 103860 View attachment 103862 View attachment 103863 View attachment 103865
Great autumnal colour.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Prior to this entry into the brotherhood I had a modern 8 panel.....now.....
Crafted edge, 2 3/8 brim, 5 1/2 crown.....simply wonderfull felt!
Not sure of vintage.......
M
View attachment 104020 View attachment 104021 View attachment 104022 View attachment 104023
Greetings All:
Sir.....Bet you like the one on the right best??
Very sweet hat. Super clean, classy overwelt, liner/sweat. Looks soft as a puppy! Me likey! The one on the left, not too shabby either!
Be Well. Bowen

Greetings All:
Sir.....Bet you like the one on the right best??
Very sweet hat. Super clean, classy overwelt, liner/sweat. Looks soft as a puppy! Me likey! The one on the left, not too shabby either!
Be Well. Bowen
Both the Stetson Twenty and the Borsalino are awsome felt. I REALLY like them both a LOT. Both have felted/crafted edge brims. Stetson called it Mode Edge, not sure what Borsalino called it...
M
PS The hat creases thread shows both hats plus a third.....

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This is a good news for the Italian hats production. I hope for the best in a quick time :)

Cappellificio Cervo enters the orbit of the Zegna group, which has taken it over from liquidation. The Biella company was acquired by Zeca, controlled by the Ermenegildo Zegna group, with the participation of the entrepreneur Vincenzo Caldesi. The operation follows the liquidation of the company by the Court of Biella. In terms of the deal, the entry into the shareholding of Artigiana Cappellai, controlled by the Borrione family, will also take place, as well as the role of associate of the works, conferring the branch of manufacturing company and the artisan know how.

In detail, the acquisition, whose financial terms were not disclosed, concerns the Sagliano Micca (Biella) building, the Cervo, Barbisio and Bantam machinery and brands. Soon, an official note reads, work will begin on restructuring and securing the building that dates back to the end of the 19th century. In parallel, the operating methods for the recovery of production activity will be defined.

The Cappellificio Cervo, which takes its name from the nearby stream that crosses the Biella area, was founded as a cooperative in 1897 by local master craftsmen, who started the path that led him to become one of the most prestigious brands in the sector. The company also has original machinery from the 1800s, which allow to maintain unaltered some peculiar working procedures.

"The acquisition in partnership of Cappellificio Cervo - commented Ermenegildo Zegna, CEO of the group of the same name -, in addition to responding to renewed attention to fashion for the hat, is also dictated by the desire to help keep alive a manufacturing ability typical of our territory. I am sure that thanks to the skills of our partners we will be able to restore luster to a historic brand that in its one hundred and twenty years of life has positively contributed to the image of 'know how to do well' enjoyed by the Biella area "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch