Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BORSALINO BROTHERHOOD

Revilo61

New in Town
Thank you Bill and Mike, this has quickly become my current favorite. I’ve always been partial to straws, being from Southern California, but with winter dragging on and traveling to colder weather areas, I find myself choosing it often.
Does anyone have clues to its age?

The label in your hat is the version that follows the one with Borsalino label. Figure mid 1950s or later. I'm not sure how much later it could be - perhaps into the early 1960s.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ok I'm confused. I'm trying to determine a timeframe (age) for my Borsalino hats. I have four hats with this type/format of label. All have the red size tag.
IMG_4234.jpg

I have one with this label. The sweatband has been replaced so no size tag.
IMG_3968.jpg

Can these be dated by the labels?

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
I did buy a brown one with the same lining style. Any idea about dating it?
Hi Fabio, sorry this reply is late, but I’m very rarely present in the Lounge these days.
The previous owner of my hat lived from 1890 to 1979 and from the style of label (Borsalino printed on left hand serrated edge) I would assume it to be earlier than the 50’s - hope this helps (but I’m always ready to be corrected).
Chris

Ok I'm confused. I'm trying to determine a timeframe (age) for my Borsalino hats. I have four hats with this type/format of label. All have the red size tag. I have one with this label. The sweatband has been replaced so no size tag. Can these be dated by the labels?

I believe you are in a safe zone from post-war to the mid 1950s. Could the red label be WWII era or slightly earlier? Perhaps. But my money is on a time bracket from when production resumed at the factory after the war to post OPS when the logo disappears from the serrated label.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe you are in a safe zone from post-war to the mid 1950s. Could the red label be WWII era or slightly earlier? Perhaps. But my money is on a time bracket from when production resumed at the factory after the war to post OPS when the logo disappears from the serrated label.
Thanks. I was thinking 50s.

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
Hi Fabio, sorry this reply is late, but I’m very rarely present in the Lounge these days.
The previous owner of my hat lived from 1890 to 1979 and from the style of label (Borsalino printed on left hand serrated edge) I would assume it to be earlier than the 50’s - hope this helps (but I’m always ready to be corrected).
Chris
Thanks... i'm still waiting for the arrival of mine to get more details.

quikrick

One Too Many
Hello All, I just received this brown thin band modern Borsalino. The felt is VERY light weight. The crown holds its shape pretty good, but the brim is extremely floppy. There is no model name anywhere that I can find. Brim is 2 1/4" and the crown is 4" at the front, band is 5/8". I like the contrasting colors of the felt and band.
iZIGcxB.jpg
0AhhtY8.jpg
7wXilt5.jpg
SbO7bqk.jpg
V3hwGiB.jpg
jVzKWca.jpg
dK3PCnF.jpg
7Hrgt6E.jpg

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Hello All, I just received this brown thin band modern Borsalino. The felt is VERY light weight. The crown holds its shape pretty good, but the brim is extremely floppy. There is no model name anywhere that I can find. Brim is 2 1/4" and the crown is 4" at the front, band is 5/8". I like the contrasting colors of the felt and band.
iZIGcxB.jpg
In Italy the name of this Borsalino is "Icaro" and it is very light and floppy. Ideal for the springtime or the first autumn.
I have two and they are perfect for days with a mellow temperature. Not now because we are in a "early summer" week. Too hot for the end of April :rolleyes:

quikrick

One Too Many
In Italy the name of this Borsalino is "Icaro" and it is very light and floppy. Ideal for the springtime or the first autumn.
I have two and they are perfect for days with a mellow temperature. Not now because we are in a "early summer" week. Too hot for the end of April :rolleyes:
Thanks Daniele! It's nice to have this information. Like most of the Fedora Lounge community, we just NEED to know! I appreciate it!

Hello Brotherhood Members, been lurking here for a while but I just got my first vintage (?) Borsalino, so I figured it’s time to join the discussion.
This hat has the softest, most pliable felt I’ve ever experienced, kind of a peach fuzzy feel. It will take and hold any shape I want.
Any info you knowledgeable people here are willing to share about my new hat will be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 115561

View attachment 115562

View attachment 115563

View attachment 115564

View attachment 115565

View attachment 115566

View attachment 115567

View attachment 115568
Hey, I was bidding on that one too I think. Good to see it here. Looks lovely, but as I remember the auction pictures made it look a fair bit darker.

Recent addition to the flock. Borsalino Export Qualität in Saturno colour (which is the first time I've seen that colour). Bound brim at 5,5cm and crown at 10,5 cm at the pinch. The crown has a fair bit of taper to it, but all in all a very nice hat. Hut Nagel was founded in 1830 and still exists today.

View attachment 116063 View attachment 116064 View attachment 116065 View attachment 116066 View attachment 116067 View attachment 116068 View attachment 116069 View attachment 116070 View attachment 116071 View attachment 116072
Nice looking felt on this Borsalino. Is the dating 1960s? Earlier? The liner looks like it has the oil skin, how long did this last? Very cool hat, taper and all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points