Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

I have been wearing Derby/Bowler hats off and on since 1975. (I was 20 at the time). I plan on buying a brown Derby later to fit in with my cape-costumed stage character (my image is registered with US Copyright office in costume). This is the reason for my name.

"Faster than a speeding insult, more powerful than an ulterior motive, able to leap to a conclusion in a single bound... its CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!"

I want a nice stingy-brimmed brown Derby when I appear on stage. I love wearing a nice Fedora as well as a "top-tier" black Derby when I'm in my regular street clothes. Dressing well can be fun while attracting positive attention while on the street.

When viewed as being "overdressed", I think to myself, "let 'em eat cake". :rolleyes: :p
You should check out D'Aquino, they have a Brown Bowler listed on their Etsy site. I have heard good things about them from our European Loungers.

If I find them, I will sue. Under Federal Copyright law, they would be liable.

Nothing is deleted from the internet. That's what I'm saying. They're still out there somewhere, believe me. Your only saving grace is that since your exposure is likely minimal, nobody's going to find them or use them.

And you're just as likely to get a C&D from this guy:
72Ade-q1.jpg

Sorry everybody. Threadjack over. I was hoping the good Captain would treat us to an image of his visage, however. I want to see him in a bowler.

Captain O

One of the Regulars
Nothing is deleted from the internet. That's what I'm saying. They're still out there somewhere, believe me. Your only saving grace is that since your exposure is likely minimal, nobody's going to find them or use them.

And you're just as likely to get a C&D from this guy:
72Ade-q1.jpg

Sorry, everybody. Threadjack over. I was hoping the good Captain would treat us to an image of his visage, however. I want to see him in a bowler.

Wrong costume. Mine is a superhero (tights, cape, and briefs). If I see my image being used, I will not only have a Copyright Attorney issue a C&D, but I will sue. (I do have a copyright to protect, and could use the money).

My copyrighted image began in March 2011 (long before Hotels.com) and will expire 75 years after my death.

Captain O

One of the Regulars
You should check out D'Aquino, they have a Brown Bowler listed on their Etsy site. I have heard good things about them from our European Loungers.

I looked and appreciate the site directions. I may look into one of those later, but plan on buying a Northwest hat from fur felt. I want the "old-fashioned" hard-hat attribute of the original Bowler/Derby. I'm purchasing this as a lifetime investment, not just for costume effect, but as part of my dress accouterments (costume and dress wear). $200-$225 is a wise investment for both performances, as well as daily use.

You can call me "practical pig" if you like, but I'll never buy what my mother used to call a "one-trick-pony". I want something that I can wear daily.

Captain O

One of the Regulars
No "special" powers. I'm a voice talent/announcer/mimic/comic that has been practicing for 49 years. I began performing at age 13 in 1968. My first gig was for my 7th-grade class. I have a degree from Portland State University, Portland Oregon in Speech Communication with a minor in Sociology. as well as two years of Post-Baccalaureate study in History and the Administration of Justice. I've spent almost 1/6th of my life (10 years) in Post Secondary education.

I'm at my best in either the studio or on stage. It is where I belong.

Last edited:

Captain O

One of the Regulars
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Is anyone here a fancier of the "stingy brimmed" Derby? I really enjoy this Reed Hill Riding Derby. Not only is it a perfect fit, it is a true, hard top riding helmet. I want a two of these (black and in brown) made from fur felt by Northwest Hats.

Everyone here is 100% correct. If you go "first-cabin" you'll never be "throwing good money after bad". The old maxim still holds... "Buy it nice, or buy it twice".

(What a concept)!

Captain O

One of the Regulars
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am officially a "hat addict"! I just ordered a NIB Christy's Fur Felt Bowler for $125.00 sent to my door via USPS. I'll have it by Friday, May 12th. On the first of June, I will order a Whippet from Northwest Hats regardless of cost.

I am an incorrigible "hat horse". :eek: :rolleyes:

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
I looked and appreciate the site directions. I may look into one of those later, but plan on buying a Northwest hat from fur felt. I want the "old-fashioned" hard-hat attribute of the original Bowler/Derby. I'm purchasing this as a lifetime investment, not just for costume effect, but as part of my dress accouterments (costume and dress wear). $200-$225 is a wise investment for both performances, as well as daily use.

You can call me "practical pig" if you like, but I'll never buy what my mother used to call a "one-trick-pony". I want something that I can wear daily.

You're far better off buying a vintage one then. No modern hatter, even the firms in England that still manufacture hard shell bowlers, do so in a manner that at all reflects the stiff felts hats produced in the past.

Mike at Northwest hats would make a lovely bowler for you but he wouldnt be able to replicate the steps needed for a proper stiff felt hat.

You're far better off buying a vintage one then. No modern hatter, even the firms in England that still manufacture hard shell bowlers, do so in a manner that at all reflects the stiff felts hats produced in the past.

Mike at Northwest hats would make a lovely bowler for you but he wouldnt be able to replicate the steps needed for a proper stiff felt hat.
I've seen his derby on the website, but have never touched one in all the trips down to Eugene. I now have a pile of derbys and a Christy's equestrian bowler (hard as a rock...). But that being said, you will never go wrong with any of Mike's hats. Going down on Monday to pick up a custom Panama.

Captain O

One of the Regulars

Mike at Northwest hats would make a lovely bowler for you but he wouldn't be able to replicate the steps needed for a proper stiff felt hat.

Mike said he could make me a Derby, but not a low-top Bowler that I wanted. I will eventually buy a high crown Derby from Mike. Next month, I'll order a Whippet from him. He's three months backlog in his orders. By early September I should have a new Whippet. (It will make Stetson blush with shame). :p :D :cool:

Captain O

One of the Regulars
I'll be receiving a Christy's of London Bowler on Friday, May 12th. I'm paying $125.00 for a hat that is listing for $245.00-$250.00. Since I'll be buying a brown Bowler as a "topper" for Captain Obvious, (it seems an appropriate hat) should I go with a wool & fur blend mid-priced unit, or should I invest in a Beaver-fur, "top-of-the" line unit for the sake of durability?

I'm inclined to go "top shelf" but am open to recommendations.

Captain O

One of the Regulars
I was looking at a Lock & Company "extra firm" Bowler. (Yeas, I'm longing for one). And they want 350 BPS ($452.96) + shipping. I would love to have the original Lock "Coke" (pronounced Cook) Bowler. I can dream for a while, can't I?

Captain O

One of the Regulars
I have an idea for bringing back the "gamekeeper" or "horseback" Bowler. How about manufacturing an "inner shell" manufactured from Carbon Fiber? Line it with premium silk and a bit of plastic (to prevent discoloration) and cover it with premium beaver felt.

This could be done for as little as $350.00 USD. The best part of the idea/concept is that it would last almost indefinitely.

This is just a thought.

Well, here finally are pictures of the inside and ribbon detail of that "the Royal Stetson" derby that I picked up with its original box......no dates....number on sweat is obscured by the sweat ribbon tie. Price tag is evident but entirely unreadable....block and reorder tags in great shape but partly obscured by sewn and glued lining.
Cheers,
M
20170509_203455.jpg 20170509_203300.jpg 20170509_203154.jpg 20170509_203128.jpg 20170509_203226.jpg

Well, here finally are pictures of the inside and ribbon detail of that "the Royal Stetson" derby that I picked up with its original box......no dates....number on sweat is obscured by the sweat ribbon tie. Price tag is evident but entirely unreadable....block and reorder tags in great shape but partly obscured by sewn and glued lining.
Cheers,
M
View attachment 74145 View attachment 74146 View attachment 74147 View attachment 74148 View attachment 74149
That's a beauty. Love the liner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui