Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Cont.
f8478ddbeb3dab91eeaa4561693eadd2.jpg
ce24e73add91864a8fe39fb0f9f46431.jpg
1f651c3cf8904b1058831b24e7190327.jpg
e409f44600ff2ae0ba15fc770d65af6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Great looking bowler, Justin. That hat has some character to it. To weigh it try standing on a scale with it and without it:D

Willybob

A-List Customer
I wonder if any of you bowler experts can help me date my Grandad's old Bowler. He gifted it to me in 1978. Heres some pics

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.5 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 129
I wonder if any of you bowler experts can help me date my Grandad's old Bowler. He gifted it to me in 1978. Heres some pics

View attachment 83829 View attachment 83827

View attachment 83831 View attachment 83830
At first glance, it is an old one. There are a couple of threads that can help in dating, "Dating Your Hat" and the dedicated Stetson Dating threads. Warner Houston also has a website with dating tips here. That liner is also a dating point.
The clues to a date of 1930s (?) are there, but someone who is more knowledgeable might see this post again and comment. This is called a "bump", putting this question back on the front page.

As far as I can tell I haven't posted this one before (I may have done so in the German and Austrian Hatmakers thread, but I can't find it there). Kaller Super Boreal bowler in black. Size 57. Brim at 5,5cm and crown 12 cm. Can't say who the manufacturer was. Kaller or later Fein-Kaller was located in Basel, Switzerland. Maybe it was in fact Swiss made, which would explain the use of both German (speziell angefertigt für) and French (chapellerie Kaller). The make and finishing on this hat is of very high standard.

kaller_3.jpg
kaller_2.jpg
kaller_1.jpg
kaller_4.jpg
kaller_5.jpg
kaller_6.jpg
kaller_7.jpg
kaller_8.jpg
kaller_9.jpg

As far as I can tell I haven't posted this one before (I may have done so in the German and Austrian Hatmakers thread, but I can't find it there). Kaller Super Boreal bowler in black. Size 57. Brim at 5,5cm and crown 12 cm. Can't say who the manufacturer was. Kaller or later Fein-Kaller was located in Basel, Switzerland. Maybe it was in fact Swiss made, which would explain the use of both German (speziell angefertigt für) and French (chapellerie Kaller). The make and finishing on this hat is of very high standard.

View attachment 84604 View attachment 84605 View attachment 84606 View attachment 84607 View attachment 84608 View attachment 84609 View attachment 84610 View attachment 84611 View attachment 84612
That is what I like about this place, educational as well as entertaining. This is a beauty Stefan. The combination of German and French is very unique. Pristine.

Stefan, Fantastic to see a Swiss Stiff Felt! It does have a great finish. It looks to be in NOS condition.
That is what I like about this place, educational as well as entertaining. This is a beauty Stefan. The combination of German and French is very unique. Pristine.
Steve, Mike, thanks. Because it looks unworn it is hard to say how old it is. The bow does not have a frayed edge so I'm inclined to say post-war.

Here's another bowler hat I haven't posted before (been neglecting them a bit). Chapelier Armand bowler in black, size 56. Unlined and no crown patch either (hard to say if there ever was one). This one did come with its mourning band still there (which i thought was very cool). Chapelier Armand was based in Brussels and the hat is Belgian too, because the label shows the Belgian motto "L'union fait la force" (hard to see in the picture, but trust me). Lovely felt and quite lightweight too (the Kaller is a fair bit heavier). Judging by the sizing label an fairly early one; late forties or early fifties, maybe even earlier.

chapelier armand_2.jpg
chapelier armand_1.jpg
chapelier armand_3.jpg
chapelier armand_4.jpg
chapelier armand_5.jpg
chapelier armand_6.jpg
chapelier armand_7.jpg
chapelier armand_8.jpg

Stefan, Great form! This one does look older. Thank you posting photos of both of them. By the way your Hat Photos (in general) are fantastic!
Steve, thanks! I must say I took inspiration from your setup when taking pictures of my hats. The lighting and placement of your pictures always looks the same and spot on for the hats.

Picked up this last friday. It had been sitting in the attic for more than fifty years according to the seller and had belonged to her husband's grandfather. Her husband was in his seventies now, so that would put this one in the twenties or thirties I believe. While handling the hat something odd happened that I never seen before. The sweatband, which had seemed supple before, sort of hardened and tore when I tried the hat on (fits me perfectly too, so it wasn't the tight fit). Not only did it break but the tear widened too like it had been under a lot of tension. Pity that, because it looked pristine when I first held it in my hands. I can always have the sweatband replaced of course, but I would have liked it in its original state. I kick myself for not being more careful.
Anyway: Chapeau Norite, size 57, unlined with a cloth crwon patch. No labels under the sweatband (when I checked the sweatband was still supple). Brim at 5cm and crown 12,5cm. Unsure wether this is a French or Belgian hat. It is woolfelt and feels a bit more coarse to the touch than other bowlers I have. Very well made though.

chapeau norite_2.jpg
chapeau norite_1.jpg
chapeau norite_3.jpg
chapeau norite_6.jpg
chapeau norite_4.jpg
chapeau norite_5.jpg
chapeau norite_7.jpg
chapeau norite_8.jpg
chapeau norite_9.jpg

Mike, thanks. It's still very wearable, but I still can't figure out what went wrong with the sweat. I'm a civil servant: I hate breaking a sweat:D

i can imagine, maybe they put a thinner piece of leather in the felted wool version, although who says there was a furfelt version and not that that consoles. (-:
Wool Stiff Felts were common in Europe. There is some variance in components based on quality levels within Wool Stiff Felts. For example this Brüder Böhm Wien Wool Stiff Felt would be at the higher end.

6462729049_3dfbfb73c3_b.jpg

6462808719_4265a430d0_b.jpg

6462854771_cd04667947_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points