Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Fantastic Josh! Congrats to that find.
Seems the luck is on your side .

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Super, SUPER finds, gentlemen! Both are very special examples.

Josh, Fantastic old Derby. Would interested in the weight.

Thanks, Gentlemen. :yo:

Steve, I do not have a postal scale, but I can bring it to a fedex soon to check the weight. Its very light. Interestingly enough, the felt was pretty limp when I bought it. It had tons of dents and the felt was very pliable. When I applied a good amount of steam to it, the shellac kicked right in and the hat stiffened right up. Its not even close to being as stiff as some of the early 20th derbies I own. The felt is thin and a medium stiffness.

Thanks, Gentlemen. :yo:

Steve, I do not have a postal scale, but I can bring it to a fedex soon to check the weight. Its very light. Interestingly enough, the felt was pretty limp when I bought it. It had tons of dents and the felt was very pliable. When I applied a good amount of steam to it, the shellac kicked right in and the hat stiffened right up. Its not even close to being as stiff as some of the early 20th derbies I own. The felt is thin and a medium stiffness.

Thanks! By the way I sent you an email a few weeks ago but not sure it made it.

Last edited:

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Stetson riding derby

I have another one with a cork liner thats an absolutely fantastic little bowler in terms of finish weight and the incredible stiffness they were able to achieve with a felt hat. This one is a bit more generous in terms of crown height and brim width so I was happy to see this one will be joining its little brother.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Early 1890's Stetson Derby Green

This isn't new to the lounge, but I have owned it for a while and felt it needed to be photo documented. The former owner has pulled their photos from the site.

This one dates to somewhere around 1889 to the very early 1890's. It has what I believe to be the first generation Stetson reorder tag. I have never seen an actual Stetson hat from before the 1880's, so I am assuming this reorder tag is one of the earliest tags.

Möckel's Ultra! "Ideal", size 57cm, probably 1920s. This is a really beautifully made Melone! Unfortunately the sweatband reed casing was damaged during shipping because the hat was near mint condition. PH. Möckel Hutfabrik, Homburg vor der Höhe was the hat company that made the original Homburg for Edward VII. The company went out of business in 1932. It came with an old box (Lange's Hutgeschäft Frankfurt a/M.) which I am not sure is original to the hat. There was a silk pad (also Lange's Hutgeschäft Frankfurt a/M.) so I think might have originally contained a silk Top Hat.

22380742492_af4de35e3a_b.jpg

22207091999_5713612953_b.jpg

22404747771_18a6126131_b.jpg

22380862702_630c4c3175_b.jpg

22394047805_cb541391ef_b.jpg

22404868501_007823a9b4_b.jpg

22367803596_fc64a6e5bc_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk