Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Case of Fedoras

I stopped in an Antique Store today and of course was wearing a lid. I came accross this old book case and put my hat inside of it. I made the shop owner an offer and came home with my new display case for my Fedoras.

I couldn't see keeping them all boxed up, tucked away in my back room; I thought this was the perfect set up to show case my hats.

Still looking to play around with the arrangment; also need to make a wall rack above it for some other hats which I could not fit into the picture.

Whatcha guys think? Check it out....:cool:

DisplayCase013.jpg

DisplayCase003.jpg

DisplayCase012.jpg

Top from left:
Optimo, Cavanagh and Forstadt Beaver [Tony B re-block]
Inside first row, top, from left: 48 Stetson Stetsonian, 51 Imperial Stetson, Mode Edge and a 40's-50's OR
Second Row: 50's Mallory, 50's Stetson "The Sovereign" Mode Edge and a 40's or 50's Borsalino Allesandria
Third Row: VS Custom Camel Beaver, VS Custom Oxblood Beaver and a Second hand VS Sportiare
Bottom: Tony B Natural Beaver, Tony B Chocolate Beaver and a VS Custom Tobacco.

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
Nice purchase, fits the intended use well. We have something similar, but the dang thing is full of china, go figure ;)

I recommend hat rests, to keep the brims from flattening out on the shelves. Too bad the only kind available are those annoying plastic things, which are barely large enough for 7-3/4 hats, although they can be padded out with adhesive foam or felt. If you trim the feet off every other hat rest, then the brims of the hats will be at different levels and won't bump into each other as much. For your setup, I think it would look nice if the center hat was slightly higher than the ones on the sides.

Foofoogal

Banned
As an antiques dealer I have seen many of those cases but never used as such. What a fabulous idea. The moth strips would be good though.

Mr P. I have placed cotton bags of Cedar chips inside, 2 on each shelve. I also put a 2x2 Cedar block under each hat. However I am thinking of lining the inside and the shelves with Cedar to make it more like a Cedar Chest. But the bags and blocks will suffice until I get to doing that. Also thinking about making some hat stands for each to keep them elevated, but not sure how it'll look. I'll try one and take it from there. Thanks for the kind words.
Tim

Great set-up, sir. Any plans for moth cedar strips inside?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Great case, Tim! Looks like, if you wanted to, you could actually re-adjust things and add another shelf or two (unless you're done buying hats...;))

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk