Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cavanagh Club

I would call the color Light Olive Green or maybe Moss Green. Under certain lighting conditions it looks like the brown/gray color so common in vintage hats and not green at all. The 2-1/8" wide ribbon is dark green but can appear to be black depending on lighting. It has a 2-1/8" wide brim with ribbon bound edge that matches the hat color. Assuming the 1-3/4" wide sweatband is original it has no markings on the face side at all. The purple ink stamp on the backside is unreadable, but there is either the number 5 or the letter S written with a grease pencil. When I removed the liner I found 3 stickers underneath. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

voad0g.jpg

1z71tso.jpg

108g4rp.jpg

m9ndkm.jpg

riw93o.jpg

2816c8i.jpg

i2uc0x.jpg

Forgot to ask if anyone knows a reason why the block number is reversed on the two stickers, 8825 & 5288? Done for a reason or just in error?

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone!
Saw this one on Etsy Monday morning and decided I needed a Homburg, so I jumped on it. Got here today, and upon inspecting it, found no factory tag under the sweat or liner.

de39acfee092453561ce0c94d4014c0a.jpg
d938b3efd7eec558b076fbd0d5685f4f.jpg
59c20c377fd30e6edf9c0df22363dc5e.jpg
2fcc727e97bea3460515bb574e809af7.jpg
155efd84bf824761013b974aeea9a967.jpg
88389d0cfd5a41fb9aff4dd5a486b600.jpg
8a181cc3aad01d1b8796c7b0ce165e3d.jpg
9b812eddd2a04da5bbaefb4194624885.jpg

Condition is very good, little to no wear.
Fit is close to perfect, I think it will conform nicely with a little wearing. The hole punched in the sweat makes me think it was a second, although I don't see anything obvious wrong with it.
Brim is 2 3/8" with the curl, 5" crown as creased.
The Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union tag tells me it's not vintage in the sense we Loungers like, '76-'95 would be the age range. But, the price was cheap and it still looks nice and seems to be well made. All in all, a good addition to the collection.

A TALE OF TWO CAVANAGHS

Warning: Stingy-o-Phobes avert your eyes! I couldn't resist comparing two grades of Cavanagh quality when a "Thirty" came up on Ebay. This listing sure looked like my Rat Pack Hat, and sure enough, it was a clone! You really can't tell the two hats apart until you get them into your hands. My latest Cav is a stingy Thirty in the same Onyx color and configuration.
29210312260_542d4ff55e_z.jpg
29210315940_c65a420864_z.jpg

This is where the similarity ends, the nicer grade hat differs in "hand". The felt is even more buttery smooth and the sweat has a more substantial feel as well. It also has a lightly embossed border at the top, nice touch...
29419346541_7a6c502612_z.jpg

Second installment in next post...

TALE OF TWO CAVS CONTINUED...

The only mfg tags under the sweats are similar style, only the price being a determining feature. Even the reorder (?) number is the same except the $16.50 hat signifies LO.
28877100273_5db5c59146_z.jpg
29210308180_3e20816e27_z.jpg

The size tag in the Thirty has a separate tag for Long Oval apart from the 7 1/4. The Cavanagh Edge stamp is identical.
29419347511_cbb1cb6a65_z.jpg

I do love them both, but I don't need (not usually a word associated with hat collections) two identical stingy Cavs. I would be open to trades for the original Rat Pack Hat. Does this kind of thing go into the classified section or is that only for sales? The new Sinatra Rat Pack Cav Thirty will now sport the vintage Mercedes pin and go into the daily rotation.
29419348541_42fdd60d77_z.jpg

Captain Obvious signing off for now!

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I picked up a nice Cav with box, but it is not a size 7-3/8 as advertized. This one will go to my wife or daughter. Wonderful felt on this one.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
You guys got me to go check under the sweatband in my Cav. There's a sticker pasted there that has the size at 6-7/8, but nothing else. Half of that sticker has been torn off and there's an old glue spot where another sticker used to be.

I'm sad when I handle the hat... it's so nice, but doesn't fit me! :(

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab

Great hat, Scotty. The dimensions are beautiful, and the color is very nice. I wouldn't re-block it. The quality of Cavanagh felt is very high, so it will respond very well to steam. I would try a diamond crown to get the square look you're talking about.

Interesting story about the cable box. The heat will definitely cause the felt fibers to tighten back in to shape. Be careful, though, because it can also shrink the size.

Vintage Cavanagh hats are pretty incredible. Glad to see this one on the 'Lounge. Thanks for sharing!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

singlechange

One of the Regulars
Hi Alan,
Thought you might like this..

Cavanagh Forty Salutes Veterans Day Weekend. It is my newly acquired Cavanagh with bash stolen from tommyK's avatar. Brim measures 3 inches and crown as bashed is 5 inches in middle. I read somewhere that this felt is hare mixed with beaver and it is more light weight than my own circa early 50's Stetson 7X Clear Beaver and just as nice. As it came it was lightly spot stained all over, creased badly and dusty and with a Cavanagh hat box in terrible shape. Brushed, applied Scout Light Hat Spray Cleaner.
ATnsFg.jpg
a02ySJ.jpg

Last edited:

RJR

Hi Alan,

Cavanagh Forty Salutes Veterans Day Weekend. It is my newly acquired Cavanagh with bash stolen from tommyK's avatar. Brim measures 3 inches and crown as bashed is 5 inches in middle. I read somewhere that this felt is hare mixed with beaver and it is more light weight than my own circa early 50's Stetson 7X Clear Beaver and just as nice. As it came it was lightly spot stained all over, creased badly and dusty and with a Cavanagh hat box in terrible shape. Brushed, applied Scout Light Hat Spray Cleaner.
ATnsFg.jpg
a02ySJ.jpg
Good looking.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Hi Alan,

ATnsFg.jpg
a02ySJ.jpg
Aw some hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana